Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just reserved it at the library... yes, I am a cheapskate!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #22

Thanks so much for checking in--we'll scrape up the cash to buy a copy of the new book, I promise! It sounds awesome! Great reviews and recommendations, Jeff.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting the video...it's great to see you!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Nice job, Jeff, you've got the interview thing down.

I am number 11 out of 135 in the paperbackswap.com waiting list for your first book (I wish listed it in June of 2008).

Great name for the new book, BTW. Did you have any trademark issues with "Millionaire next door?"
Old 07-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jeff, really good job on the interview!!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Just reserved it at the library... yes, I am a cheapskate!
Library for me too. But the book could end up on my wish list and maybe someone will buy it for me for Christmas or my birthday. Then you'll sell a copy, even if not to me!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #27

Library but there are 25 cheapskates ahead of me at the library so it will be a while.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My husband would admire your S.O. - it is a hunting/bringing home the game thing for him. He hasn't achieved that level of savings very often, but he did use coupons and sales to bag 4 cartons of ice cream for $1.00 once, and was proud as a peacock about it.

Amethyst
This is my problem with coupons. They enable you to buy even more of the very stuff that you would usually be better off leaving on the shelves. Not many coupons for wild salmon or sea scallops or beefsteak or fresh oranges.

I guess there may be for stuff like toothpaste and Kleenex and tp and tampons and stuff, but I find it less annoying to keep my eye out for these things on sale in the 3 or 4 supermarkets and drugstores in my walk distance.

Ha
Old 07-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My library is so cheap they don't even have it so I might be #28 in your book sales .
Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I saw a segment this morning on some show where a lady bought $130 worth of groceries for .89 cents. All items on sale and she had tons of coupons. Can't believe it included everything a person would actually need on a typical grocery run, but impressive to say the least.
I don't understand those segments. Coupons don't work for me around here. They are usually for the more expensive name brands, and the store brand is usually cheaper even after use of the coupon. I've never seen a "double coupon" offer at any store here.

----------

I did get about 6 things that were "Free after Rebate" at Ace hardware (things I'll actually use, like car wash). But I had to work for it. The online redemption didn't work, so I had to fill out the paper form with the tiny spaces for all the 12 digit UPC codes. Yuck.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #31

Just read the book this weekend. Sorry....checked it out from the library. But, at least you know the libraries are purchasing the book!
Old 07-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #32

On hold at the library, #11 in the queue for book #2.

Pleased-as-punch recipient of an autographed copy of his first book from our meetup in DC a few years ago. Have read it several times over. Jeff's a great guy, and did a great job on the interview.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't understand those segments. Coupons don't work for me around here. They are usually for the more expensive name brands, and the store brand is usually cheaper even after use of the coupon. I've never seen a "double coupon" offer at any store here.

----------

I did get about 6 things that were "Free after Rebate" at Ace hardware (things I'll actually use, like car wash). But I had to work for it. The online redemption didn't work, so I had to fill out the paper form with the tiny spaces for all the 12 digit UPC codes. Yuck.
Same here. Does anyone have a list of specific brands and coupons that produced these big claimed savings?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #34

I don't know if Cheapskate didn't mention this out of modesty or what, but there is his big article in this month's AARP magazine. I just read it...being the loyal AARP card carrying member that I am. Interesting.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
Same here. Does anyone have a list of specific brands and coupons that produced these big claimed savings?

My SO is the coupon king . We use eight o clock french bean coffee so they usually have a $2.00 coupon for two bags and our supermarket has two for one deals so we get the coffee for two dollars a bag . Last week I had a coupon for a $1.00 off All laundry detergent and it was two for one so we got the detergent I use for $2.00. That is why we use coupons .
Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My SO is the coupon king . We use eight o clock french bean coffee so they usually have a $2.00 coupon for two bags and our supermarket has two for one deals so we get the coffee for two dollars a bag . Last week I had a coupon for a $1.00 off All laundry detergent and it was two for one so we got the detergent I use for $2.00. That is why we use coupons .
Yeah...I'm a coupon gal. The name brands are more expensive and are the only ones that issue coupons in the paper, but I check the sales ad and use the coupons. Kroger has triple and double coupon redemption. So far this year I've saved $147.00. Using the coupons keeps me from having to make a trip to Target (where I'd probably buy more stuff). I hate running around town to save a few dollars.

Some of the stuff I buy is considered junk food, but DH loves it. He's the kind that doesn't have to watch what he eats. Some things are just not fair.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Job Jeff, Will be taking a look at your book as well.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Last time Jeff was here, I asked him about the home-grown bamboo shoot in his Maryland backyard that he dined on. I had read his story in an article about "living off the land - in the city". Supposedly, bamboo grows very fast - at least it does in the tropics. I like bamboo shoot in some Oriental dishes; it probably has zero calories and is high in fiber too. If I happen to have some in my garden, well, I would try to stir fry it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I don't know if Cheapskate didn't mention this out of modesty or what, but there is his big article in this month's AARP magazine. I just read it...being the loyal AARP card carrying member that I am. Interesting.
Here is the aforementioned article: A better way to be rich and happy - AARP The Magazine

It's a good read. Below is an excerpt.

Quote:
I had surveyed more than 300 of my "Miser Advisers"—a network of superthrifty folks I've developed—about their financial habits, and I wanted to take a closer look at them. I met near-millionaires and people who earned so little they could qualify for public assistance but chose not to—they had more than enough to live as they wished. What they all had in common: they've found ways to be wealthy that don't depend on earning more cash or buying more things.

That's right—the reality of the frugal life upends stereotypes. These aren't latter-day Scrooges, though I've yet to meet one who doesn't sport apparel dating to the Carter administration, or earlier.
Gosh, I know I still have 3 custom-made suits from that era hanging in my closet. It was back when I was finishing school and was so skinny I could not buy anything off the rack, and had to have them made so I could go on job interviews. One was a white suit for my wedding.

Nearly 20 years ago, I already could not fit into them (I was able to buy suits off the rack then). I don't know why I keep them. Sentimental reason perhaps, but one of these days, I will have to let them go. The clothes that fit me, heck I wore them out. No way they would last 30 years!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #39

I'm in luck. There are only two others ahead of me on the library hold list for the book.

That was a good segment on the show, but too short. Too bad he didn't get more time.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I just reserved my copy too...#34. I hope cheapies read fast because our library system has only 5 books.