Join Early Retirement Today

Talkin' Cheap on the TODAY Show
Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Talkin' Cheap on the TODAY Show

Hey Folks -

Sorry to be MIA for so long around here. Been busy with the release of my new book, but the good news is that my next book looks like it's going to be about early retirement, so you can bet I'll be picking some brains around here in the months ahead.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to an interview I did with Matt Lauer on the Today Show this week re: the cheapskates next door.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...35291#38035291

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! I'll look for it at the library.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I saw that segment when it aired. Don't forget to give us a preview on the results of your ER research. We don't buy books
Old 07-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I will be buying your book but I will also resell it as soon as I'm finished because I am a cheapskate !
Old 07-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I saw a segment this morning on some show where a lady bought $130 worth of groceries for .89 cents. All items on sale and she had tons of coupons. Can't believe it included everything a person would actually need on a typical grocery run, but impressive to say the least.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I saw a segment this morning on some show where a lady bought $130 worth of groceries for .89 cents. All items on sale and she had tons of coupons. Can't believe it included everything a person would actually need on a typical grocery run, but impressive to say the least.
My SO has gotten into doing the food shopping and he makes it a game . He came home yesterday with $27.00 worth of food for $5.00 . He used coupons on two for one offers . He has really cut the grocery budget and he enjoys doing it .
Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for posting the link, I enjoyed watching the clip. And I already had the book on hold at the library.

I really enjoyed your first book. Might even borrow it and read it again!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He says either coupon for food at the grocery or shop fresh foods at the best price, which is what I choose to do. Too many preservatives with coupon foods for me, but shopping sales for fresh for me really works.

I'm looking up your books now...thanks!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the link since I'm too cheap to pay the extra $5.99/month for local network channels as I live waaaaaaaaay out of the urban areas.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats and nice job on the interview!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #11

Currently reading your book on Kindle. Good stuff.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #12

Do you ever research how many people leave the USA to be able to live as a cheapskate?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the comments folks.

And, yeah, I get it ... "I'm tooooo cheap to buy your book!"

In fact, the publisher called the other day with good news/bad news about book sales: "The good news, Jeff, is that more than a million people have read your books," he said. "The bad news is, they're all cheapskates and borrowed them from the public library, so we've only sold 27 copies." Oye.

@ Trek - No, I haven't, but that's an interesting question. Anyone know of any stats on that?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #14

I've always wondered about the business model of trying to sell stuff to cheapskates. Seems like trying to sell ice cubes to esk indigenous people of Alaska and northern Canada.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've always wondered about the business model of trying to sell stuff to cheapskates. Seems like trying to sell ice cubes to esk indigenous people of Alaska and northern Canada.
My advice: As a "business model" you're better off just sniffing the glue and calling it a night ;-)
Old 07-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I suspect the real money is in attempting to convert the non-thrifty into joining the other team. Of course they probably read Jeff's books the same way my wife reads a cookbook I read science fiction: "Yeah, like that's gonna actually happen..."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I read the book too and even paid for it!

Good read!
Old 07-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I suspect the real money is in attempting to convert the non-thrifty into joining the other team. Of course they probably read Jeff's books the same way my wife reads a cookbook I read science fiction: "Yeah, like that's gonna actually happen..."
If you know where the "real money" is, please send it my way! In fact, I just posted a picture of it on milk cartons across the country. ;-)
Old 07-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My husband would admire your S.O. - it is a hunting/bringing home the game thing for him. He hasn't achieved that level of savings very often, but he did use coupons and sales to bag 4 cartons of ice cream for $1.00 once, and was proud as a peacock about it.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My SO has gotten into doing the food shopping and he makes it a game . He came home yesterday with $27.00 worth of food for $5.00 . He used coupons on two for one offers . He has really cut the grocery budget and he enjoys doing it .
Old 07-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Of course they probably read Jeff's books the same way my wife reads a cookbook I read science fiction: "Yeah, like that's gonna actually happen..."
Yep. The heathens buy the Good Book of Cheapskate and reject its teachings, and then the already-converted borrow it or buy it used for next to nothing...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote