Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Target Retirement: Which Mutual Fund Co.?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Target Retirement: Which Mutual Fund Co.?

If you are in a Target Retirement Fund, which Mutual Fund Co. did you choose to handle it? Vanguard is less expensive (I think), but Fidelity seems to be a bit more interesting in what they put into their Target/Retirement Accounts. T. Rowe Price appears to be a bit too pricey.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Target Retirement: Which Mutual Fund Co.?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hello "duck"...

I think you will find this discussion in this, and other forums. While many may "debate what's best", I'll tell you what I am going to do (either accept or reject - that's your option).

While I've been with Vanguard since 1983 (IRA's) and Fidelity since 2000 (401K's), I find that you "pay the price" for what you get.

I will agree that Vanguard has the "lowest cost" on delivery; however I feel/find that Fidelity is far superior in "customer satisfaction", both in their web offerings (e.g. investment tools) and managment of accounts (both before and after retirement).

What did I do (including my DW's investment, which also include offerings outside of Vanguard/Fidelity)?

I'm using Fidelity to "manage" my retirement day-to-day investments/withdrawls (if you want more information, see "cash management account" at the Fidelity site. However, Vanguard has been "good to us" over the years (we are Vanguard Health Care account holders 10+ years, and will remain to be so).

So, "what's the answer"? Simply stated, in our case, "both"....

However, you will have to find out what is best for your situation, at this time of life for you. I've stated before (on this and other boards), there is no "correct answer". What's good for me may or may not be applicable for your "life" (that's what makes lilfe interesting )...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As Ron had said... it is a personal choice... and probably no wrong answer...

I can say that I am all Vanguard... I don't know how Fidelity is doing today, but I left them many years ago when their 'conservative' asset allocation fund lost a lot of money and it was determined they had a large bet on the Mexican peso... since I don't think the Mexican peso is appropriate for a conservative US based asset allocaton fund, I decided to leave them for good.

I have not had any problems with the Vanguard site... Maybe go to them and take a look at what they offer.. you might put a bit more weight on the site, but to me I like putting it on the income I get..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #4

I have a Retirement 2020 with T. Rowe-Price. I had checked out Vangard, Fidelity, and others, and settled on TRP, just 'cause I liked them better. It was just a personal choice. I think they all have their Pro's and Con's, you just have to pick the one that suits your taste.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The cheapest one you can find that has the asset allocation that you like, adjusts the way you want it to in the time frame you'd like it to adjust, from the company that provides you the level of customer service you would like to receive and offers other conveniences that you'd like to have.

I'm with vanguards TR funds. Their customer support sucks if you have under $500k with them. If you have 500k-1M (voyager level), the service is pretty good. If you have $1M+ (flagship) you get superlative service including a named representative that periodically calls and emails you to see how you're doing. I have had few service problems with vanguard since shifting enough assets to them to qualify for flagship level.

But dollar for dollar and fund for fund...they're probably priced and work and return about the same.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
If you have 500k-1M (voyager level), the service is pretty good. If you have $1M+ (flagship) you get superlative service including a named representative that periodically calls and emails you to see how you're doing. I have had few service problems with vanguard since shifting enough assets to them to qualify for flagship level.
Does Vanguard inform you whenever your status changes? What if your value of assets falls below a certain level?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

They'll eventually automatically upgrade you when you've been above the level for a while, or you can call them and they'll do it on the spot. Nice thing is that you can 'extend' your 'status' to immediate family members' accounts, even if they have measly holdings. Then they dont have to pay any of the lower-grade fees and they get the higher level service.

You'll get a "voyager" or "flagship" welcome kit that describes your benefits, direct phone #'s and so forth.

Not sure how long below a level before they'll drop you a 'notch', but I dropped an admiral fund to well below 100k and it was about six months before I got a note from them saying that they would reclassify me in about a month unless I added more money.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #8

Can you combine assets of H & W to qualify for Voyager status at Vanguard?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
If you have 500k-1M (voyager level), the service is pretty good. If you have $1M+ (flagship) you get
Voyager level actually starts at 250K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
Can you combine assets of H & W to qualify for Voyager status at Vanguard?
I haven't done this, but I'm told that you can combine your spouse's assets as long as you don't include any 401(k) and 403(b) funds in those account to reach the Voyager threshold.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Whoops, thought it was 500k

You may combine yours and your spouses assets. Not too sure about that 401k/403b claim as the fine print says "Including assets in mutual funds, employer-sponsored retirement plans, brokerage accounts, and annuities."

It does also note that flagship service requires that at least 500k of the $1M minimum be in "vanguard mutual funds".