Join Early Retirement Today

TARP Oversight Committee Bashing banks for returning to profitability??!!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TARP Oversight Committee Bashing banks for returning to profitability??!!

Breaking news from the congressional TARP oversight committee:

Banks Take TARP Funds, Raise Consumer Fees: So Whats the Problem?: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Elizabeth Warren is at it again. Busting on banks for increasing fees and interest rates when that is the exact thing that is making them more profitable. And the exact thing that will allow them to return TARP money and get off the government dole.

Raising fees is strictly a bottom line profit enhancing move. But increasing interest rates on credit cards from 11% to 12% (per the linked article) is probably a move designed to better compensate the CC companies for all the extra risk now involved with CC lending that was incorrectly priced in years past. It hardly seems like raising rates by a percent on average could be perceived as predatory lending as Ms. Warren asserts.

Either nationalize those banks and run them for the public welfare, or treat them as borrowers and give them some leeway to return to profitability and get we, the people's money returned to the federal coffers as soon as possible.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Both Shitty Citibank and American Excess have jacked my CC rates recently. I think it's hilarious, since I pay in full every month...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

They are still making money off you on interchange fees but I guess they are hoping you slip up.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Both Shitty Citibank and American Excess have jacked my CC rates recently. I think it's hilarious, since I pay in full every month...
Same with me. Funny thing is I don't even remember which company raised rates, by how much or on how many cards since I never carry a balance unless there is a zero percent promotional rate (or very low rate).
Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the government wants the banks to stop participating in TARP. This provides political theater and the perception the govt is "doing something" when they drag the bank management in front of committees, etc.

The best possible result of all of this would be a very healthy private-sector "lesson learned" about accepting public money.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Breaking news from the congressional TARP oversight committee:

Banks Take TARP Funds, Raise Consumer Fees: So Whats the Problem?: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Elizabeth Warren is at it again. Busting on banks for increasing fees and interest rates when that is the exact thing that is making them more profitable. And the exact thing that will allow them to return TARP money and get off the government dole.

Raising fees is strictly a bottom line profit enhancing move. But increasing interest rates on credit cards from 11% to 12% (per the linked article) is probably a move designed to better compensate the CC companies for all the extra risk now involved with CC lending that was incorrectly priced in years past. It hardly seems like raising rates by a percent on average could be perceived as predatory lending as Ms. Warren asserts.

Either nationalize those banks and run them for the public welfare, or treat them as borrowers and give them some leeway to return to profitability and get we, the people's money returned to the federal coffers as soon as possible.
I heard the news stories and thought exactly the same thing. An excellent reason why we don't want to permanently nationalize banks. (Temporary gov't "partnerships" might remind all the CEO's of why they really don't want the gov't around long term.)
Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The TARP oversight comments remind me of a bully (or older brother) grabbing a victim and making them hit themselves, all the while asking "why are you hitting yourself?!". Except it is the TARP oversight committee restricting banks from making good business decisions and then asking "why are you failing, banks". The only exception to the analogy being many of these banks are not completely without fault.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I don't think the government wants the banks to stop participating in TARP. This provides political theater and the perception the govt is "doing something" when they drag the bank management in front of committees, etc.

The best possible result of all of this would be a very healthy private-sector "lesson learned" about accepting public money.
What Sam said plus a lesson learned by the government about the lack of consistent timely regulation.

-- Rita
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
I tend to agree. I think they want to have very visible public scapegoats, at least in part to look like they "get it" -- i.e. to feed "red meat" to angry populist sentiment -- and part to help deflect some of the blame away from themselves for bad public policy decisions to help this happen.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I suspect the "fees" affect the lower end customers more than the upper end. So, more populism...

Hey, I know; let's have a tea party!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The CEO's want to pay back the money asap so they can give themselves $50MM salaries and bonuses again without public outcry.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The TARP oversight comments remind me of a bully (or older brother) grabbing a victim and making them hit themselves, all the while asking "why are you hitting yourself?!". Except it is the TARP oversight committee restricting banks from making good business decisions and then asking "why are you failing, banks". The only exception to the analogy being many of these banks are not completely without fault.
You post was great!!! made my day! This is EXACTLY right. I think this is what happens when ideology meets reality. Really does not matter what form the govt intervention will take. The act of intervention by definition will make it worse.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
The CEO's want to pay back the money asap so they can give themselves $50MM salaries and bonuses again without public outcry.
If they can get back to making billions for their shareholders, then I'm ok with this!

And if the banks pursuing profitability has the side effect of providing a wide range of deposit and lending choices for consumers and businesses, then even better.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think the government wants the banks to stop participating in TARP.
DING! DING! DING!

Samclem..... you are tuned in buddy!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I like that outcome too.

Audrey