Tax Audits....

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Who has been through one?

What exactly did it entail?

Any other comments?

What, your opinion flagged the IRS to you?

Been several years but the one audit I personally participated in was pretty simple. They sent me a letter and said "Hey, we think this specific item needs to be reviewed", would you please come see us at xx time on xx date and bring all your records regarding the subject item. Responded and attended, he (single agent) asked for "this" I produced "this" then he wanted "that" and I produced "that". He wanted to discuss it for a few minutes and then said my records looked fine -- gave me a "no change to filed tax return" letter and I was on my way.

You need to bring your records for the SPECIFIC item(s) they ask for. DO NOT volunteer information beyond what you are ASKED for during the "interview". If you do that you will risk opening up another area for them to look into. If, at the conclusion, they say "no problem" be sure to ask for the "no change" letter for your records. Of course if they assess additional taxes you will be hit for interest too -- and they usually are about 18 months behind on the date so the interest will be for a pretty long period (maybe 2 years worth). DO NOT ignore any letter you get -- you will not win that argument. Also do not get too up tight about an audit. They are stressful but usually are no big deal if you did the return correctly or if the error committed can be chalked up to ignorance; this is no time to get argumentative.

I was audited because the IRS couldn't believe that my business could lose so much money in one year. I sent them a letter explaining that it was because I ran a mail order campaign that didn't pay off (I'd also included a statement to that effect with the return). But they ignored that.

I went in, explained it. Agent said OK, and then went on an illegal fishing expedition, but didn't find anything. Said I'd receive an official letter saying everything was OK, but I never did.

This was back in about 1994.

Back
Top Bottom