Join Early Retirement Today

Tax loss harvesting & AMT
Old 06-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tax loss harvesting & AMT

Thanks to some property sales it looks like we're going to get tapped by the AMT fairy's magic money extracting wand. By dint of carefully buying individual stocks at the maximum buzz moments we seem to be holding some stocks which are worth less now than when we bought them. Our tax lady is on vacation, so I'm asking you all about this cunning scheme: Sell the losing stocks to reduce our AGI. Would that reduction in AGI result in a dollar for dollar drop in amount taxed by AMT? I'm also thinking about having the weather 1/2 of a roof replaced on a rental - lost shingles on an old roof - rather than doing the whole thing, thus moving more money into the maintenance column rather than depreciating the cost of an entire replacement.
Any other enhancements to reduce the AMT hit would be appreciated, as well as thoughts on whether the above machinations would be of any effect.
We're pretty much all rental property income and any dollars saved are more likely to go into Wellington than SBUX.
Thanks
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes you still can offset your capital losses against your real estate capital gains and this will reduce your income and thus reduce the amount of tax you will pay, whether AMT or otherwise.

Rental expenses can also continue to be deducted against rental income.

As we rid ourselves of our rental property we were hit with AMT for a number of years. There is only so much you can do.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Martha - "There is only so much you can do". I'd like to do what we can though... Avoid avoid avoid. Another thought I'd had, triggered by her saying that not paying our Jan 15 quarterly state tax in December would increase our Fed income tax but decrease our AMT tax, was to not pay our state quarterlies for the rest of the year, then pay them all in Jan 2008 - dunno how much penalty we would have to pay the state and if the offsetting reduction in AMT would make that worthwhile or not. I'm just floundering about trying to do the smartest thing - so far I'm just happy to have used the term "tax loss harvesting" and to actually think it was used correctly!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote