Join Early Retirement Today

Tax managed funds
Old 05-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tax managed funds

I know I should also post this on Bogleheads, but I have not officially joined yet. And, I know there are many savvy investors here as well.

My question: I am still working and am in the highest tax bracket. I am looking at buying Tax-Managed Capital Appreciation - Admiral Shares.

I am looking at this to have US large cap exposure but in a tax-efficient way. I don't need dividends yet; really looking more towards growth.

Pros and cons of tax managed?

Thanks in advance.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

We've owned this fund (along with its counterpart Tax-Managed Growth and Income) for more than 10 years. We chose them while still w*rking when we had some extra cash to invest and like you didn't really want to put it in a fund that would throw off lots of dividends and/or CGs. We haven't added to it in many years but are happy enough with it to hold it.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder what "tax-managed" means anymore in the context of the Vanguard funds.

Vanguard's stable of broad-market index funds are reasonably tax-efficient because of the associated ETF share class lets the managers bleed off low-basis stocks so that the mutual fund has little to no cap gains each year.

One might calculate the tax-efficiency for their own personal situation of these funds over the past few years. One may find that the Cap-Apprec is only a smidgeon more tax-efficient than the Total Stock Market Index, the Large-cap Index, and the S&P 500 Index fund.

Furthermore, Vanguard merged its tax-managed international fund into its developed markets index fund. To me that says that the days of Cap Apprec might be numbered.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My tax managed "fund" is Berkshire Hathaway stock - no dividends, no taxes until I sell.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote