Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
That's a lot.

My wife's on W2, I'm a sole proprietor with LLC and we have 11 rental properties (none of those are in LLC). I pay $190/year which includes the state taxes and e-filing. I do think my guy is pretty below average.

Wow! Is this a CPA or a bookkeeper? Is this a family member discount? I take it the below average is the fee and not the quality!

I can't imagine ours takes any less than 5-6 hours for the CPA to prepare and I think DW does a really good job of keeping all the figures in an orderly format. It would take me several weekends to get it all done. We do get some financial advice as well on how to structure some things for best tax advantage as part of that fee but I think that is relatively minor.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing that posters need to consider is that the OP's tax accountant is in a specialized niche of the business that is very complicated and requires a lot of expereince to get right so it isn't fair to compare their fees with those of your typical main street CPA tax preparer who is more of a generalist. That said, I would think that the fees should have declined as the complexity of the return declined, but it is unclear if the OP has asked why.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Wow! Is this a CPA or a bookkeeper? Is this a family member discount? I take it the below average is the fee and not the quality!

I can't imagine ours takes any less than 5-6 hours for the CPA to prepare and I think DW does a really good job of keeping all the figures in an orderly format. It would take me several weekends to get it all done. We do get some financial advice as well on how to structure some things for best tax advantage as part of that fee but I think that is relatively minor.
He's a CPA but works out of his house so expenses are low.

I do most of the work of being prepared - he then plugs all the numbers into the tax software and we discuss various items before he prints and files.

Now he isn't giving me detailed analysis regarding tax strategies or any other assistance during the year but I really appreciate a 2nd set of eyes on the numbers and not having to buy the software or file anything.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote