Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I used TT a long time ago, and then found H&R Block Taxcut, and since it was cheaper, tried it.
Very similar, and worked fine.
Taxcut has always been cheaper every year by a lot, and my taxes are complex (rental, SE, investments,..)
I'll use either one no problem, but for the last 10 years Taxcut has always been $20 -> $40 cheaper.

I do returns for 3 other people as well and it works for them.

I think both TT and Taxcut are pretty equal in ability and usage, just not cost.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but any chance your spreadsheet has an error? With millions using TT to complete their returns, if there was a problem with TT it would seem that would make headlines.
No chance at that. I do my return by hand, too, as a check against the spreadsheet. I have been using the spreadsheet for over 20 years. The TT numbers were total sci-fi. In my world, I can't figure out how TT ever gets it right! (Re: Invasion of the Body Snatchers)
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Hard to say what the problem was without more info. Trying to enter fake numbers to get it to match seems like a lot less useful effort than trying to figure out where the numbers diverge and why. Maybe a special case error that TT couldn't handle. Maybe an input error. Maybe a spreadsheet error. I've never seen such an error, and I've itemized every year, though nothing too special.
To me, it's pretty simple. TT was garbage. It couldn't add a few simple numbers in the itemized deductions. My spreadsheet and my calculator can add a few simple numbers. TT could not. I would not have used TT even if the fake numbers DID match. I just wanted to see if subsequent calculations off the fake numbers matched. Couldn't even get that far. TT is garbage.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Can anyone compare TaxAct to H&R Block's software products?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Found this, may be interesting read.

What’s the Best Online Tax Preparation Software? TaxAct vs TurboTax vs H&R Block

Another comparison:

H&R Block vs. TaxAct 2017
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Part of the confusion is that some of the downloaded versus online software versions have the same name ("Deluxe"), but different functionality.

I want the download version, so that I can use it throughout the year with multiple "What if?" scenarios. I am not a millennial and don't need to use my phone to do my tax return.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #47

Quote:
TaxAct was bought out two seasons ago. I switched from TaxAct to HRB for 2016 taxes because the pricing was significantly higher. They both do the same thing. Both are comprehensive (same with TT) and both have similar interfaces (depends on the flavor you buy).

My post (#6) above compared the the Deluxe versions - to cover itemized deductions, capital gains, and Roth conversions - for cost between on-line and downloadable. My preference is downloadable so I can monitor throughout the year, but, really on-line offerings have come so far, that one could model throughout the year on an on-line version.

Seriously, I got spoiled with the old TaxAct (I was buying at $9.99 + tax when they offered advance reservations in the summer). So it is sticker shock to see $30 - $70 for the same offering. But, overall, I think both are good products and equal to each other. TaxAct was good with updates, as was HRB, offering updates after 4/1 and the ability to enter a 1040-X if needed.

-Rita
Old 11-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
It is not the money as the thought that Intuit is trying to mess over us. I have to use premier because of capital gains, and I resent it.
You don’t have to use TT Premier to process capital gains. Not in the last 2 years at least. There is a little less handholding needed in Premier but it is no more capable of capital gains than the Deluxe version.
aza455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza455 View Post
You don’t have to use TT Premier to process capital gains. Not in the last 2 years at least. There is a little less handholding needed in Premier but it is no more capable of capital gains than the Deluxe version.
Interesting-I went to the Intuit website to determine which I could use, and they said I had to use Premier. I will check again
Thanks
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

^That's another reason why I switched to HRBlock a few years ago. TT was always trying to sell me a higher-priced version than I needed by using fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #51

Quote:
Interesting-I went to the Intuit website to determine which I could use, and they said I had to use Premier. I will check again
Thanks
This is why I switched to H&R Block Tax Cut this year. Even when you go right to them to verify something they're just as likely to lie to you as tell the truth. Probably more likely.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks
You can trust Intuit or you can trust me... LOL. I really don’t have any interest in Intuit selling you Deluxe in lieu of Premier or vice versa.
aza455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Thanks
Not exactly. They recommended Premier because you said you sold a share of stock. They have done that for several years. Once they really meant it, but we all raised such a stink about it that they "reconsidered" and put the functionality back in Deluxe.

There are other "helpful" features in Premier regarding Schedule D and other things, but they are really irrelevant to actually doing your taxes.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
To me, it's pretty simple. TT was garbage. It couldn't add a few simple numbers in the itemized deductions. My spreadsheet and my calculator can add a few simple numbers. TT could not. I would not have used TT even if the fake numbers DID match. I just wanted to see if subsequent calculations off the fake numbers matched. Couldn't even get that far. TT is garbage.
Any chance your deductions were limited due to high income? That would be a very clear reason why everything above it added up would not be the same as line 29. Or things like only medical expenses above 10% or 7.5% being eligible. It's really hard to believe that TT isn't simply adding numbers correctly. But short of actually seeing the 1040 and schedule A form TT prepared for you, this isn't going to go anywhere.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Honestly, I find it difficult to understand how TT would be doing something wrong in it's calculations given the size of it's customer base. If it is though, spend some time to document and post on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, you'll be an overnight viral sensation.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #56

That is a down side to using tax software. If you code up what you think the tax laws are in your own sheet, you can ignore bits, plausible deniable bits, that don't help your tax obligation
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
TaxAct just sent me an email offering 30% off (I used them last year) as a part of a Cyber Monday offering. Is this a buy or not?

I will need a Fed 1040 and related State return. Also I usually prepare the returns for 3 friends, all the same state, using that program.
How much $$ after 30% off ?
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
How much $$ after 30% off ?
Here's link from email. -> Tax Act Cyber Monday 30% Off
Old 11-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Hoping for a Turbo Tax Cyber Monday deal. Amazon has come down $10 on the deluxe CD version, but not the download version. I want to do an early projection for some stuff I want to do with taking a large capital gain and possibly doing a larger Roth conversion this year, and I want to avoid or minimize AMT. I did a quick run from last year's return and see that AMT is in play so I want real numbers for this year. I'm not going to wait until the very end of the year to do all this, so either way I'm buying on Monday.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #60
Administrator

Just downloaded H&R Block 2017 Deluxe plus one state for $26.81 on Amazon.