Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You take your refund in the form of an Amazon gift card and Amazon adds 5% to it. Free money. I've done it in the past.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
You surely are increasing risk by providing your tax data in electronic form to an intermediary.

A hack of IRS is a constant regardless of filing method.

No shock, I file on paper.
The last time I filed on paper it was rejected because someone had already filed a fraudulent return in my name. I still get an IRS IP PIN number every year because of this.

But yes, *technically* it's an extra entry point to use a 3rd party. However, I'll just point out that while Equifax and the IRS have both been hacked, 3rd party tax return preparation sites have not (that I have ever heard of).

Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #103
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
What I do is create a notepad (text) file and burn that along with the software to the CD. That way, if I ever need to reinstall, the unlock code is only a copy/paste away.
Do not mean to hack this thread. How technically difficult is it to do this. I am pretty technical but have always wanted to do it but never known the steps.

Thanks

edit:

think I just figured it out with the help of YouTube.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by augam View Post
Do not mean to hack this thread. How technically difficult is it to do this. I am pretty technical but have always wanted to do it but never known the steps.

Thanks

edit:

think I just figured it out with the help of YouTube.
Much easier to copy and paste than to type in a long activation code.

Glad you figured out thanks to YouTube.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
The last time I filed on paper it was rejected because someone had already filed a fraudulent return in my name. I still get an IRS IP PIN number every year because of this.

But yes, *technically* it's an extra entry point to use a 3rd party. However, I'll just point out that while Equifax and the IRS have both been hacked, 3rd party tax return preparation sites have not (that I have ever heard of).
There have been hacks and data breaches. The attached article details a Taxslayer hack from 2016 and refers to others.

http://www.dontmesswithtaxes.com/201...ng-season.html
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #106

Just saw a great price for TurboTax Premier on Amazon, courtesy of Slickdeals. Only $49 for the PC/Mac disc version, which includes Federal E-file plus State.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Prem.../dp/B075C981JV
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

An interesting angle that I am running into. For years I have used the download because it was more convenient. I was in BJ's yesterday and noticed that they had TT Deluxe Federal & State CD for $40 ($10 off their regular price). I was about to grab it and then remembered that the new laptop that I will install it on doesn't have a CD drive!

I'm not keen to go out and spend $25 or more to buy a CD drive with USB so I'll keep shoping around for the download version.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I just about purchased the download version of TaxAct which I use for my and a couple friends returns. Then I noticed that it is for only one return. I checked for a version that would meet my needs, OUCH! Giving H & R Block's software on disk a try this year.
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was about to grab it and then remembered that the new laptop that I will install it on doesn't have a CD drive!
Copy the contents of the CD to a flash drive, network storage, a shared drive on another computer, a cloud storage like google drive or even zip it up and email to yourself.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #110

Switched from TurboTax to TaxAct 3yrs ago, now switching to FreeTaxUSA.com because TaxAct wants something like $79 this year. I haven't gone too far with FreeTaxUSA yet but it was able to grab the basic info from my last year's PDF I uploaded. Still waiting for all my W2s, tax statements etc to proceed.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Copy the contents of the CD to a flash drive, network storage, a shared drive on another computer, a cloud storage like google drive or even zip it up and email to yourself.
Could do that... but it might be easier to just pay $10 more and get the download version.... or it for the download version to go on sale. I wonder if the flash drives that I have are big enough to hold the install.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Switched from TurboTax to TaxAct 3yrs ago, now switching to FreeTaxUSA.com because TaxAct wants something like $79 this year. I haven't gone too far with FreeTaxUSA yet but it was able to grab the basic info from my last year's PDF I uploaded. Still waiting for all my W2s, tax statements etc to proceed.
It seems FreeTaxUSA is $0 even for small business. That's the only reason I had been buying last few years to TT, TaxAct, H&R. I think I'll go with FreeTaxUSA this year also. THANK YOU for mentioning it.
Old Today, 08:55 AM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
It seems FreeTaxUSA is $0 even for small business. That's the only reason I had been buying last few years to TT, TaxAct, H&R. I think I'll go with FreeTaxUSA this year also. THANK YOU for mentioning it.
If you use FreeTaxUSA for your state return, the cost is $12.95. Use the coupon code FREETAXUSA10 for 10% off.