Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Preparation
Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Tax Preparation

Hello Everybody,

If you used Turbo Tax in the past and have safety concerns, what are you using to file this year?

Thanks.
NorthernMichiganDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used the desktop version every year but one for more than a decade (maybe 2 decades, as the reason I quit one year was the "product activation scheme," which wiki says was 2003).

Don't have any real safety concerns though. From what I've read, can't tell if any breach extended to desktop customers--but in any event, the scammers have many ways to put one over on the IRS.

Hesitated to use it this year because of the chicanery regarding Schedule D and level of product, but since I messed up and am getting a refund, I purchased through amazon to get the 10% bonus on refund up to 2k. That was more important to me than any safety concerns.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

I'm doing it the old fashioned way this year. Paper returns sent by snail mail. This is also the first year I'll owe AMT.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

TaxAct
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I used to use TT in the past, but a number of years ago I switched to H&R Block.

H&R Block costs less and does the same job, its very similar but of course like driving a different car, there are minor differences, but after the first time it will start to be hard to remember why you used TT in the first place.

I use the software version on my machine to avoid the danger of hacks to company servers.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

TT again this year. Online version
Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

TaxAct after years of using TT.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
TT again this year. Online version

Same here. Just completed yesterday and everything was fine...No hacking in my account despite giving them a month long head start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been using the desktop version of TT for the past 18 years without issue, but we always print our return and file by mail.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Desktop version of TurboTax. e-file for the federal, snail mail for the state.
MildlyEccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

TT desktop in the recent past, now using H&R Block desktop due to shady TT price-increases (Sched D downgrade) and better value of HRB for my needs. I'm not overly concerned about hacking/ID theft. Using the desktop versions is a matter of increased security and convenience.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Desktop version of Turbotax. eFile.

Apparently 80% of TT users use the online version. We never considered entering our data online - way too sensitive information.

We have some questions, and we will probably take some special precautions this year using temporary passwords for downloading 1099 data, etc.

But we are going to continue to eFile. Hopefully TT doesn't somehow give themselves a copy of your return when you eFile. I wasn't concerned before, but now I think they are a sloppy company.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Desktop version of Turbotax. eFile.

Apparently 80% of TT users use the online version. We never considered entering our data online - way too sensitive information.

I'm surprised at 80%, but it is cheaper, I suppose.

I run projected returns using the prior years' software several times a year so as to make necessary withholding (or liquid savings) adjustments, which is a big reason I continue to use Desktop.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
Administrator

Desktop version of TT again this year, efile.

State tax will be done using the State's online efile system
Old 02-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
I'm surprised at 80%, but it is cheaper, I suppose.

I run projected returns using the prior years' software several times a year so as to make necessary withholding (or liquid savings) adjustments, which is a big reason I continue to use Desktop.
Yes, that number is from Intuit themselves when they couldn't understand all the "hoopla" from their (only 20%) desktop users screaming about the forced upgrade to Premier. Which they later retracted.

We got this year's downloaded version free via Fidelity.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I switched to HR Block this year but had used TT since it was on floppy discs. HR Block software is great.

No state filing here in Texas.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

No state filing here in Texas.
Maybe I should have clarified that although I've lived in Texas for the last 10 years, Louisiana IRS still has their claws in me and I have to pay LA taxes on the pension from my LA based ex-employer.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Had used TT for years but finally got fed up with the Schedule D price bloat. Switched to HRB desktop version with no trouble other than getting used to a slightly different user interface.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

This year I used desktop TT as I always do, and e-filed both state and federal. I had to upgrade to Premier. Maybe because of that, or because of other reasons, the guided questions-and-answers seemed awfully hard compared with past years. And then there was the problem with fraud in TT state returns which has caused me some anxiety.

So next year, for the first time I might consider switching to another tax software package. I don't know which. I was shocked and dismayed with all the problems presented by TT this year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This year I used desktop TT as I always do, and e-filed both state and federal. I had to upgrade to Premier. Maybe because of that, or because of other reasons, the guided questions-and-answers seemed awfully hard compared with past years. And then there was the problem with fraud in TT state returns which has caused me some anxiety.

So next year, for the first time I might consider switching to another tax software package. I don't know which. I was shocked and dismayed with all the problems presented by TT this year.
Yes, TT was bad this year in the forced "upgrade", although I ended up getting it free from Fidelity.

But it turns out the reason why the bulk of state fraudulent filings was TT, because TT was the only software package allowing "unlinked returns" - someone could file a state return without filing the corresponding federal return, and that feature was specifically what fraudsters were using. TT has since disallowed that.