Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
once you're done would you mind giving us a comparison of the two programs. I'm doing the same with TT and H&R Block.
I finally filed my taxes today. I like to wait a while just in case there's a corrected 1099. There hasn't been one, so I felt it was time. Now watch -- I'll get one Monday!

I used three different programs this year, just because I got so annoyed at Intuit's little games. I was happy to spend a little money to do a solid comparison.
  • Turbotax download, as in past years.
  • H&R Block download, first time for me.
  • TaxAct download, a slight pain because I need to use Parallels to run a Windows VM on my Mac.
Bottom line: Turbotax wins easily. A clear advantage in user-friendliness, and I got the right results first time with little effort.

Second place: Block. Not bad at all, and not as expensive. I just found the user interface a bit less sophisticated and I had to go back and edit a few things to get the same results as TT. If I hadn't done it first with TT, I might not have noticed those items, so that's a bit of a concern.

Third place: TaxAct. Nothing really bad to say about it, but not having a Mac version is a bit annoying and I had to do about the same amount of editing as in Block. The rounding convention is also different, which is trivial in itself but had the effect of consistently giving me the benefit instead of the IRS. Nice touch, but I don't know if it would annoy the Feds enough to make them notice, so it makes me nervous. I remember trying out TaxAct in a prior year once, and noticing the same thing, so it isn't coincidence.

Since I got Turbotax free through Fidelity, I'm happy enough. With luck, they will continue this practice and I'll stay with it. Without that benefit, I'd probably switch to Block.

Background: My return is fairly simple. Less than 20 individual 1099s, no K-1s, and no other complications.

braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #22
Were you able to resolve the discrepancy you highlighted in your first post?

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Yes, it was an oversight on my part -- a use tax.

braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote