Tax Question

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
An 82 y/o friend asked an interesting question recently. He retired at 65 on SS and a $300 a month pension. No assets / property. Widowed. All children grown. He hasn't filed a tax return since retirement. He's concerned about going to jail. What can (would) the IRS do to a 82 y/o....would they even expend the time, effort, resources since there's probably no taxes owed anyway and his life expectancy is less than 5 years. I told him he isn't Wesley Snipes the actor with millions who didn't file for years.

Has anyone encountered a similar elder situation?

Tell him to rest easy. He probably doesn't have to file. The filing requirement for over age 65 in 2012 is total income of $11,200. Even if he exceeded that he would have no tax due and therefore no penalty.
Bruce

The IRS would have sent notices and acted against his bank accounts. A couple of questions.

Has he received any notices from anyone?
Is any tax being withheld from his SS?
Is he getting 1099's from SSA and his Pension provider?

Tell him to rest easy. He probably doesn't have to file. The filing requirement for over age 65 in 2012 is total income of $11,200. Even if he exceeded that he would have no tax due and therefore no penalty.
Bruce

+1 At that level of income his SS would likely not be taxable and his pensions would not be sufficient to file. My grandmother had SS and a slightly smaller pension and didn't have to file.

He might want to file if he had any withholding or if he is eligible for a state credit (i.e. heating, property tax, etc). Then he is entitled to money back.

Back
Top Bottom