Join Early Retirement Today

tax question: Are premiums for a HDHP deductible?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

tax question: Are premiums for a HDHP deductible?

Is the premium for a high deductible health plan (HDHP) deductible? From what I read:

Insurance Premiums

You can include in medical expenses insurance premiums you pay for policies that cover medical care. Medical care policies can provide payment for treatment that includes:
  • Hospitalization, surgical services, X-rays,
  • Prescription drugs and insulin,
  • Dental care,
  • Replacement of lost or damaged contact lenses, and
  • Long-term care (subject to additional limitations). See Qualified Long-Term Care Insurance Contracts under Long-Term Care, later
------

I know the medical expenses must satisfy the 7.5% of Gross Income threshold. But is the deductibility of HDHP/HSA premiums excluded?

Full IRS pub:

Publication 502 (2009), Medical and Dental Expenses
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So long as you pay them yourself with taxable $, they are deductible subject to the 7.5% threshold on Schedule A.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are you self-employed?
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not self-employed. Fully retired
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
So long as you pay them yourself with taxable $, they are deductible subject to the 7.5% threshold on Schedule A.
Thx. I wasn't sure if HSA's were treated any differently.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, premiums for health insurance, whether or not an HSA plan, are deductible as described in pub 502. The senate version of the health care bill that has not passed was going to raise the threshold from 7.5% to 10%. ( political interjection: this was a very bad idea as already there is a huge disparity with employment related insurance tax benefits).

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pay the premiums out of the HSA account to get the tax benefit as most people don't come close to hitting the 7.5% AGI threshold. Just my two cents.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Pay the premiums out of the HSA account to get the tax benefit as most people don't come close to hitting the 7.5% AGI threshold. Just my two cents.
My understanding is that you can not pay health insurance premiums from an HSA unless you are on COBRA or collecting unemployment benefits.

If you can't pay premiums through an HSA or an employer's cafeteria plan, premiums are indeed subject to the 7.5% AGI threshold on Schedule A.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My understanding is that you can not pay health insurance premiums from an HSA unless you are on COBRA or collecting unemployment benefits.

If you can't pay premiums through an HSA or an employer's cafeteria plan, premiums are indeed subject to the 7.5% AGI threshold on Schedule A.
You are correct, only COBRA premiums or on unemployment can use HSA money to pay premiums. The 7.5% threshhold is also correct for now unless you are self-employed.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote