Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Question: Capital Loss Carryover
Old 12-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tax Question: Capital Loss Carryover

OK, here comes the first of my 2010 tax questions:

In 2009 I had a net capital gain loss of $4,111. $3,000 of that was used to offset income (went onto line 13 of the 1040).

So I figure that this year, I should enter $1,111 Schedule D as the capital loss carryover (Sched D, line 14).

However, TaxAct shows $4,111 there.

Am I right and TaxAct wrong?

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, here comes the first of my 2010 tax questions:

In 2009 I had a net capital gain loss of $4,111. $3,000 of that was used to offset income (went onto line 13 of the 1040).

So I figure that this year, I should enter $1,111 Schedule D as the capital loss carryover (Sched D, line 14).

Thanks.
The $1,111 is the correct amount to deduct this year.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
The $1,111 is the correct amount to deduct this year.

+1
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
+1
+1, +1
Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Are you 100% sure the $4,111 loss was before the $3,000 was applied to 2009 tax liability?

Your 2009 Report should give a summary for Tax Carryovers. I always keep a copy of that, and it always gets picked up by Tax Act the next year (I use the paid version for mine, free for the kids). Does the 209 summary show $4,111 or $1,111?

I'd have to look at my 2009 to see where line 13 leads, no time now, but I'll check later.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree w/ ERD50. Check your 2009 Sch D line 16 which is the "gross" loss
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sd.pdf
before application of the 3K loss. If it's 4111 loss, then 3K would have been applied last yr , leaving you with 1111 loss for this yr.

If it's 7111, then 3K got applied last yr, leaving 4111 for this yr.

or if you can find the loss carryover workshts as ERD suggested.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If the return you filed last year indeed offset $3000 of your income, then you're right and TaxAct is wrong.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Agree w/ ERD50. Check your 2009 Sch D line 16 which is the "gross" loss
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sd.pdf
before application of the 3K loss. If it's 4111 loss, then 3K would have been applied last yr , leaving you with 1111 loss for this yr.

If it's 7111, then 3K got applied last yr, leaving 4111 for this yr.

or if you can find the loss carryover workshts as ERD suggested.

+1
Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Report back Al. You have to buy everyone a beer if you get to keep the extra $3000 deduction.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. It was not 7,111 last year. I will report the bug to TaxAct.

Note that their support has been good (at least at this time of year), I've gotten good responses to my questions/comments.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Note that their support has been good (at least at this time of year), I've gotten good responses to my questions/comments.
Wow. I think Turbo Tax has no support. Got a problem? Your tough luck!

Ha
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

T-Al, IIRC you are switching to TaxAct from something else, right? If so, did it really import your data from last year? I'm trying to figure out if this is an import problem, or are they asking you to enter the wrong thing or some other bug, or ...?

-ERD50
Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:

I use TaxAct to do my son's taxes as it has been completely free, including e-filing, since he started working in 2007. I tried it myself at the time but it couldn't cope properly with the foreign pension I have and I reverted back to TurboTax (which is free itself these days).

Having said that, I am impressed with TaxAct and continue to assist my son each year with his taxes. That first year, he had only worked a few months (after graduating) and I first did his taxes using my copy of TT. To get the free e-filing for him we then re-entered everything into TaxAct and it came up with $35 less taxes. It actually spotted a tax credit for low income earners who still contribute to a 401k. It illustrated to me how, even with simple tax returns, mistakes are made.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
... we then re-entered everything into TaxAct and it came up with $35 less taxes. It actually spotted a tax credit for low income earners who still contribute to a 401k. It illustrated to me how, even with simple tax returns, mistakes are made. how complex our tax code is, as even teams of professionals whose job is to come up with the right answer, and provide a guarantee, can't even do it.
fixed it for 'ya

-ERD50
Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
fixed it for 'ya

-ERD50
Thanks.

I've read those reports where Consumer Magazine, or Marketplace on the radio, visit lots of tax preparers with the same data for typical tax payers and they always come back with different results, often very big differences.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Well, looks like taxact might have been right after all. That $3,000 made no difference to the bottom line of the return, so I can used the entire $4,111 this year. Here's the response from tech support:

Dear TaxACT(R) Customer:

Please see the information below to gain a better understanding of why TaxAct carried forward the $4111 you mentioned in your email.

You may deduct capital losses up to the amount of your capital gains, plus $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately). If part of the loss is still unused, you can carry it forward to later years until it is completely depleted. This "unused loss" includes any amount appearing on Line 13 of Federal Form 1040 that is not of benefit to the bottom line of the return. While the amount will appear on that line, the worksheet calculation will take into account that the amount is not actually being used in the current year, and the entire amount will transfer through the worksheet to the following year when import is done from one year to the next.

Any capital loss carryover to the following tax year will be calculated in TaxACT, and if the return is imported to the following year's return, the amount will automatically be transferred.

There are worksheets in the TaxACT program, Capital Loss Carryover and Capital Loss Carryforward, which reflect the amount of capital loss carried over from the prior year and the amount to be carried forward to the following year.

To view either of these worksheets in TaxACT:

TaxACT Desktop Users:
1. Click on the Forms icon in the toolbar to open the Forms View
2. Expand the Federal view
3. Expand the Worksheets view
4. Scroll down and double click Schedule D Capital Loss - Carryover from Prior Years or Schedule D Capital Loss - Carryforward to Next Year

For additional information please refer to the Schedule D Instructions or Publication 550.

Please note that the links in the information above are updated each year automatically. The links will take you to the most recent IRS version of the form instructions or publication at the time it is accessed.

Thank you for using TaxACT. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
TPS-Deb Rowley
TaxACT TaxPayer Support Services
Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #17

T-Al: Thanks for the Good reminder educational tutorial. I think my aging brain gets slower putting 1 + 1 together sometimes. I am aware that the 3K loss must be "used" each yr but I am also aware that you can lose, all,some, or none of it depending on one's (usually) low income situation. I am also aware of your low income situation since you stated that at one point here. Yet because it is such a foreign situation to me (not tax efficient like you), that knowledge is somewhat buried and needs to be tilled to be remembered. Thanks for refreshing.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Report back Al. You have to buy everyone a beer if you get to keep the extra $3000 deduction.
now about that beer..............

one implication is that you need to be careful about the conversions you do to see if they will cause you to lose some of that loss. If they will , then either convert less or more to try to make best use of the remaining loss.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, looks like taxact might have been right after all. That $3,000 made no difference to the bottom line of the return, so I can used the entire $4,111 this year. Here's the response from tech support:
Al,
Does a person have the option of using the $3K or not?
Let's say using the $3K you owe $0 Tax, but not using it you owe $150.00 . Can a person pay the $150.00 and not use the $3K this year and use it next year?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #20
Administrator

Great news Al. Thanks for posting the update and explanation.