Tax Question: Dividends <$10

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
That time again...

For my VG money market fund and my checking account, the interest and dividends were less than $10, so there's no 1099. I understand that I still need to report those few dollars of income.

I'm using TaxAct online, and filling in the information as if I had gotten a 1099, which is not ideal because I need to figure out what values would be in what boxes.

Is there an easier way to do that?

I'm not sure if one is required to report interest or dividends if there is not a 1099 but I do anyway, principally because it doesn't make a difference.

I would think any MM dividends would be non-qualified since the underlying investments don;t generate qualified dividends.

That time again...

For my VG money market fund and my checking account, the interest and dividends were less than $10, so there's no 1099. I understand that I still need to report those few dollars of income.

I'm using TaxAct online, and filling in the information as if I had gotten a 1099, which is not ideal because I need to figure out what values would be in what boxes.

Is there an easier way to do that?

Just enter it on Schedule B directly.

Yes, I can do that. Right now TaxAct is shielding me the actual scary tax forms by asking me questions. There's no question that asks "did you receive interest less than $10?"

I'm starting to think that, since my return is about the same as last years, I should just fill in the forms.

Last edited:
Yes, I can do that. Right now TaxAct is shielding me the actual scary tax forms by asking me questions. There's no question that asks "did you receive interest less than $10?"

I'm starting to think that, since my return is about the same as last years, I should just fill in the forms.

+1

Much prefer filling out forms online (free file fillable forms) to the "question and answer" method.

Yes, I can do that. Right now TaxAct is shielding me the actual scary tax forms by asking me questions.
You need to know which forms it appears on anyway -- otherwise how can you check that your return is correct?

Back
Top Bottom