Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Well, I am not sure if the girl friend wants to do this. Apparently the boyfriend might have back child support he owes and she's afraid she won't see any of the money if the check comes in his name.

Who knows, I'm not asking twice and I'm not interested in getting involved in their business any more than I have to.
The whole business is pretty tawdry. I'd suggest the girlfriend ditch the free loading boyfriend, but of course we know she won't get any child support.
Our tax dollars at work

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

well if bf owes back child support the IRS will garnish his refund to pay the bill.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Well, I am not sure if the girl friend wants to do this. Apparently the boyfriend might have back child support he owes and she's afraid she won't see any of the money if the check comes in his name.

Who knows, I'm not asking twice and I'm not interested in getting involved in their business any more than I have to.
Oh!

Free to canoe
Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
well if bf owes back child support the IRS will garnish his refund to pay the bill.
Yes, wouldn't that be tragic if a mom actually got the child support that she was entitled to.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Yes, wouldn't that be tragic if a mom actually got the child support that she was entitled to.
Too bad there is more then one. One would be giving up funds for the other in this case.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes! Welcome to the world of "Refundable Tax Credits"!

I wonder how these play into the stats that show things like ~ 50% of filers pay no taxes? How about the ones that get paid to file?

-ERD50
When I did taxes EIC refunds were big business as the recipients wanted their money as fast as possible. The SS cards for kids were routinely rented by parents who made too much for EIC to people who could get the credit. Sometimes netting $500 per kid for the ineligible parent. The IRS has started to audit some of these but the scams are still out there. EIC was supposed to replace welfare by making work pay.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #27

Unfortunately our tax code makes it ripe for people to game the system, not only EIC but first time home buyer credit, business deductions, charitable contributions just to name a few. The IRS only has so much manpower to investigate and prosecute the law breakers, therefore many people believe they can cheat and get away with it, and for the most part, they probably do.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

This year the IRS appears to have been auditing most all earned income credit returns claiming children who are other than son and daughter, ie) niece , nephew, sister, brother) They require proof of relationship and proof that the child lived with the taxpayer claiming the credit.