Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Question: Obamacare Premium Tax Credit
Old 03-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tax Question: Obamacare Premium Tax Credit

Concerning these two screens from Taxact:

My understanding is that, because our income went up due to good performance of our investments, the advanced subsidy was too high. It makes sense.

1. How does the repayment limit work? Do I need to path the additional $208 at some point?

2. What does the text in the red ellipse mean? And do I just do what it says and enter -1,500 in that box?

Thanks,

Al
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If your income is between 200 and 300% FPL and filing status is other than single then $1,500 is the most you will have to pay back. I am not familiar with TaxAct so I can't help with the screen shot.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how many people are getting excess PTCs....

Was the income at the end of the year or earlier? You are supposed to update the website if your income changes. If at the end of the year there is nothing you can do as it is already too late.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Your Schedule A deductions for health insurance (assuming you are itemizing) is your total out of pocket after the subsidy. So if you have to pay some of the subsidy back on the 1040 you can add that amount to your Schedule A itemized medical deductions.

It is odd because you are paying the excess back in 2016 calendar year but you get to deduct it on your 2015 tax return. But that is the correct way to do it. That is why Tax Act wants to adjust your Schedule A
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Probably near 100% of those who didn't forecast non-taxable portion of Social Security income (which is indeed included in the PTC calculation) when applying.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I slightly underestimate income to get excess APTC. It's like an interest free loan. I do not hit the repayment limit, however.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Probably near 100% of those who didn't forecast non-taxable portion of Social Security income (which is indeed included in the PTC calculation) when applying.

So that would lead to the question of how many people are in the exchange and also getting SS... I would bet not a big %....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
I slightly underestimate income to get excess APTC. It's like an interest free loan. I do not hit the repayment limit, however.

But you are someone who thinks about what happens.... most just put down numbers and then find out the results at the end...

I did not put any info down so I do not get a credit, but charge my premium and get 1.5% cash back on my CC... worth more to me than an interest free loan.... getting a huge refund back this year....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Okay, got it.

This happened because I rebalanced by selling all shares in a stock fund that was in our taxable account.

Next year it will go the other way, since our income will be lower.