Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by workburnout View Post
..... Most of what I have is long term index fund investments, with a few stocks I hold long term. I have some I trade buying and selling every few months, which I consider a gamble, though I am pretty good at it. That is always less than 5-10 percent of my entire Roth and non-Roth portfolios.
If these long-term index funds are equities (all or most of dividends are qualified dividends... you can tell by looking at the 1099s or page 1 of your Form 1040 then they will be tax-free if you keep your taxable income under $38,600 (in 2018... increases for inflation). If from bond funds then the dividends will not be tax-free. All LTCG will be tax-free regardless of whether from equity or bond funds as long as taxable income is less than $38,600.

See https://www.kitces.com/blog/understa...p-up-in-basis/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I don't understand how a reduction in the tax rate tables will cause your tax rate to go up. What business deductions can an employee take in 2017 that they can't take in 2018?
All the deductions that were subject to the 2% AGI floor are gone. In addition to tax prep and investment expenses, that includes home office expenses, dues for unions and other professional associations, journal subscriptions, business and malpractice insurance, uniforms, tools and supplies, unreimbursed travel and entertainment and vehicle expenses, etc.

OP says he is a single person who is making $100K and taking $30K in deductions plus $4K in exemptions for 2017. Unless he has large medical expenses, he's now limited to the $12K standard deduction and no exemption, so his taxable income has increased by $22K.

2017 tax = $13,240
2018 tax = $15,410
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

So the OP would be best to approach his employer and renegotiate his comp where he gets paid less but also gets expense reimbursement for certain business expenses or have them provided by the employer.... the net impact on the employer can be neutral ($100k expense that is fully deductible but say, $70 as comp and $30k as reimbursed employee business expenses) but the OP will have less taxable income... effectively sidestepping the change in deductibility of those items.

IIRC, some employers are considering such changes for W-2 "statutory" employees.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by workburnout View Post
Employees can no longer deduct mileage, promotional items (such as logoed advertisement items given to clients), home office deductions (even if employer requires that we work from home) and things like that.

Not married. Do not plan to fully retire. Plan to scale back slowly as mentioned in original post.
This one really hurts DW...and in turn the family. Social worker who offices out of her home helping the absolute neediest of people. Now she won't be able to help as much and certainly wont be driving as much.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Her employer doesn't reimburse for mileage?