Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Tax-Reform and the Housing Market.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:34 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good post, Laurence.

The federal budget would take weeks, if not months, to review line by line...

I'm too lazy!!

But, considering Dept. of Homeland Security trips to Hawaii, bridges to nowhere, and the measly $25 billion the CBO? says is "unaccounted", surely there's some fat in the budget...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2005, 04:39 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Actually, Laurence's previous post about leaving this mess for future generations is the one we should focus on. We should be ashamed as a country to be such a financial basket case...

Our children/grandchildren will be whizzin' on our graves...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:42 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
SG........it pains me to say this, but you are in danger of losing what little credibility you had.
* Knowing the source, I will give this statement all the consideration that it deserves.

Quote:
Example: *you refer to neo-cons
(it seems you use the tag improperly) and suggest that you are the only one" offering "solutions" *What is that? *You are
entering a Twilight Zone of political thought. * You need to lighten up
and get a grip.
*I'm sorry you can't follow the posts, John. *And I do stand corrected. *Laurence also offered a specific solution. *You, on the other hand continue to dole out only generalizations without basis in fact or data.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:53 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
* Knowing the source, I will give this statement all the consideration that it deserves.

*I'm sorry you can't follow the posts, John. *And I do stand corrected. *Laurence also offered a specific solution. *You, on the other hand continue to dole out only generalizations without basis in fact or data.

"Facts or data"?? I plead guilty. Too much work. If it's not in my head
or at my fingertips, then I don't use it (at least not here). That said,
I can still recognize pompous bullshit.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Actually, Laurence's previous post about leaving this mess for future generations is the one we should focus on. We should be ashamed as a country to be such a financial basket case...

Our children/grandchildren will be whizzin' on our graves...
They may "whizz on my grave" but not because I didn't solve the country's
financial mess. Nope, more likely it will be because I left all my money to The NRA. I gotta tell y'all, the more I think about it the more appealing
it gets.

JG
Old 10-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Good post, Laurence.

The federal budget would take weeks, if not months, to review line by line...

I'm too lazy!!

But, considering Dept. of Homeland Security trips to Hawaii, bridges to nowhere, and the measly $25 billion the CBO? says is "unaccounted", surely there's some fat in the budget...
It's mostly fat! In the 19th century we routinely ran a surplus. The US
government is a bloated pus filled carcass. No amount of CPR will bring
it back to life. We must just ignore the stench, as best we can.

JG
Old 10-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
They may "whizz on my grave" but not because I didn't solve the country's
financial mess.* Nope, more likely it will be because I left all my money to The NRA.* I gotta tell y'all, the more I think about it the more appealing
it gets.

JG
Who was it that recently suggested that JG was just a troll because nobody could really be that removed from reality? *I laughed at the time, but sometimes I wonder.

No facts. *No data. *No logic. *I'm John Galt and I'm the smartest person I know, so my opinion is all it should take to convince you. *

I think we all know why you are a self-proclaimed expert on pompous bull****.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:20 PM   #128

Quote:
Who was it that recently suggested that JG was just a troll because nobody could really be that removed from reality? *I laughed at the time, but sometimes I wonder.

No facts. *No data. *No logic. *I'm John Galt and I'm the smartest person I know, so my opinion is all it should take to convince you. *

I think we all know why you are a self-proclaimed expert on pompous bull****.

Well, I am the smartest person I know personally, so at least you got that
part right. And I don't care about "convincing" anyone. I just enjoy this board.
When that is no longer the case, like MacArthur, I will just "fade away".

JG
Old 10-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Just cap federal expenditure growth at the rate of CPI and we'll have a balanced budget in about a decade, if not sooner.
Although it'd be nice to see the federal govt have an excuse to overstate the CPI, why the heck should federal spending be linked to it?*

Governments don't spend like families, and frankly I think it's a good idea to practice deficit spending when the economy is in a recession.*

It's persuading the govt to stop deficit spending when the recession ends that's a problem...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's pretty naive and simple minded.* I don't think this proposal is put together for any reason other than neo-con spin.* They don't even believe or pursue it's imlementation.* It would be un-enforceable, it would* be dangerous without massive loopholes, it is not politically viable, . . . And of course it doesn't address the question at all.* "What do you cut?" is the question.* You haven't listed a single item.

* Making sweeping accusations like this is easy if you are surrounded by people who just want to believe you and don't look at underlying facts.* There are balanced, fact driven news sources and government reports that state the facts -- which budgets go up, which go down, and by how much.* You should consider following a real news source.
Again, we are offered sweeping generalizations without specific ideas.* I really do believe that Americans are beginning to see through this kind of neo-con nonsense.* Most on this board believe that spending needs to be brought in line with taxation.* We need to stop charging future generations for our sloppy financial habits.* But so far on this thread, I think I am the only one who has actually offered a specific spending reduction idea.

Now I'll go one step further.* I'll offer a tax idea:* eliminate the newly instated windfall tax breaks for the wealthiest 1-2% of the population.

SG. *Seriously, this is a nonsensical response to what I posted.

Quote:
That's pretty naive and simple minded. *

Simple minded to suggest that the federal government live according to some budget?

Quote:
I don't think this proposal is put together for any reason other than neo-con spin. *
Who said anything about neo-cons? *If you look at the chart spending has exploded since the Republicans took complete control of the government. *Vote the bums out and replace them with anyone who can demonstrate an ounce of self control. *

Quote:
They don't even believe or pursue it's imlementation. *

Irrelevant - nobody but you is talking about neo-cons.

Quote:
It would be un-enforceable, it would *be dangerous without massive loopholes, it is not politically viable, . . .
I don't think I suggested a mandatory cap - just a target to not grow federal spending faster than inflation.* *(EDIT:* My bad.* I did use the word "cap" but should have said "target")

Quote:
And of course it doesn't address the question at all. *"What do you cut?" is the question. *You haven't listed a single item.

I didn't say "CUT" anything - now did I *I said keep GROWTH to no more than inflation. *Surely you know the difference between spending reductions (i.e. cuts) and spending increases - don't you

Quote:
Now I'll go one step further. *I'll offer a tax idea: *eliminate the newly instated windfall tax breaks for the wealthiest 1-2% of the population.
Fine. *I'll meet you half way. *I'd agree to roll back the tax cut if you'd agree to roll back the 38% increase in federal spending since 2001. *What do you say?

Old 10-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Although it'd be nice to see the federal govt have an excuse to overstate the CPI, why the heck should federal spending be linked to it?*

Governments don't spend like families, and frankly I think it's a good idea to practice deficit spending when the economy is in a recession.*

It's persuading the govt to stop deficit spending when the recession ends that's a problem...
Hey Nords, its just a target.* You can overshoot some years as long as you come back in line at some point.*

The reference to CPI is only so that "real" government spending stays roughly constant.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #132

Quote:

Vote the bums out and replace them with anyone who can demonstrate an once of self control.
The Democrats know how to balance a budget and payoff a deficit. The Republicans are very fiscally irresponsible.
OK. Lets get back to tonights game.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #133

Quote:
. . .Fine. *I'll meet you half way. *I'd agree to roll back the tax cut if you'd agree to roll back the 38% increase in federal spending since 2001. *What do you say?

Well . . . this is the only thing you've said relative to the original question. I love the idea of rolling back the increases. And that leads us back to the original question. What do you cut? So far, you have pontificated and insulted, but you haven't addressed the post that started your rants. Now after all this, you come back to the same point we started. We all want the government to stop borrowing away our future. What should they cut?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well . . . this is the only thing you've said relative to the original question.* I love the idea of rolling back the increases.* And that leads us back to the original question.* What do you cut?* So far, you have pontificated and insulted, but you haven't addressed the post that started your rants.* Now after all this, you come back to the same point we started.* We all want the government to stop borrowing away our future.* What should they cut?* *
You keep ignoring the fact that I did NOT suggest a CUT! Why is this so hard to understand!!! A 3% increase IS NOT A CUT!! If I am NOT recommending a cut, why do you keep insisting that I tell you what I would cut!?!?!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:47 PM   #135

Yrs to go -

Just curious but do you live to argue? Seems like you are always wrapped up in some board scuffle. But hey whatever keeps you happy
Old 10-23-2005, 07:51 PM   #136

My fault. I should have posted this sooner.

http://www.kayakonline.com/

Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #137

Has anyone heard when this Tax Reform is expected to become effective?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:11 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Has anyone heard when this Tax Reform is expected to become effective?
Chances are that parts of it will be effective for 2006 (like an increase in the threshold for AMT) and other parts in 2007 and thereafter.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Now me, I'd repeal the Medicare drug benefit, there is some spending cut...
Whoops Laurence, I just volunteered to vote for your opponent. ĦQue viven los viejos bravos!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Whoops Laurence, I just volunteered to vote for your opponent. ĦQue viven los viejos bravos!
It's all good! I would never win an election, anyway.

Of course, this is your opportunity to post a counter-proposal....
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote