Tax Software; Multiple States

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Long story short, we have been using TaxAct since 2014 and haven't had any issues...until now.

We moved from Georgia to Oklahoma last year, so filing returns in both of those states and TaxAct seems to be doing a piss poor job of allocating our income accordingly. DW got two W2s from her employer that divides her income correctly, but the software really leaves much to be desired in figuring out the rest (such as my pension, dividend, interest, LTCGs).

So, any recommendations for tax software that does a decent job of covering our situation? I wouldn't think this would be too difficult, but TaxAct sure doesn't make it easy. :cool:

I recall having problems with the 1/3 fractions on TurboTax when I had income from 3 states...after rounding down/up on the inputs I sort of fudged the bug in TT.

What is TaxAct doing with the pension? We're using TurboTax (we moved from CA to TX last year), and we were given the option of explicitly stating how much of the pension was taxable in CA. We moved in mid-late October, so I included all pension payouts through October for CA. I guess our situation is a bit easier to deal with because TX has no income taxes.

Did something similar with the taxable interest, although we erred on the side of CA by including the interest for the entire month of October despite being in TX before the end of the month. With two taxable states, maybe that month needs to be split up. I see suggestions to prorate the yearly interest, but for us, that worked against us for CA.

Last edited:
I have used a lot of different packages over the years, retail and professional. I seem to recall all of them required manual intervention in allocating many items including unearned income and expenses. The inputs to the system simply don't contain sufficient information to do it reliably automatically.

Thanks for all the info. Ultimately, I sat down with a pencil and paper and figured it out "old school." The lack of *any* direction from TaxAct was disappointing, especially since it cost almost $100 to file all three returns. :mad:

Not sure on TT as I use it personally and haven't tested that part. We use Taxslayer at TaxAide and I just did a partial year for a couple today and it works just fine plus they had a home sale in Florida before they moved to Oregon. No issues.

Back
Top Bottom