Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Strategies for IRA's and SS
Old 12-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tax Strategies for IRA's and SS

Here is an interesting article in today's WSJ:

How to Make Your Nest Egg Last Longer - WSJ.com

Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

Quick summary:

Quote:

You probably know the conventional wisdom: When spending retirement savings, drain taxable accounts first, to give the money in tax-deferred 401(k)s and individual retirement accounts more time to grow, and leave tax-free Roth IRAs for last.

But with many nest eggs today smaller than they should be, a better approach, some financial advisers say, is to tap these accounts simultaneously in order to minimize taxes over time.
The key is to make full use of the lower federal and state income-tax brackets many retirees are in early in retirement. To further reduce taxes, it may make sense for those with after-tax incomes between $40,000 and $90,000 to defer Social Security, says James Mahaney, vice president of strategic initiatives at Prudential Financial Inc.
I think many of us are already taking this approach.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

True, some are. Balancing withdrawals to minimize future taxes and extend assets can be useful though tricky.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The article describes the top ways that early retirees on this forum plan their withdrawals, convert to Roths, delay their SS benefits, and reduce their taxes substantially. Yet, even so, the forum will get tons of questions and disbelief in the future because folks claim to never have heard of these tactics.

The ideas are embodied in the online calculator www.i-orp.com as well.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #5

Interesting article but readers might want to adopt the qualitative aspects and do the math themselves. Looks to me like the author is mixing the concepts of AGI and taxable income and would be Roth converting into the 25% bracket even tho professing to the strategy of staying in the 15% one.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
The article describes the top ways that early retirees on this forum plan their withdrawals, convert to Roths, delay their SS benefits, and reduce their taxes substantially. Yet, even so, the forum will get tons of questions and disbelief in the future because folks claim to never have heard of these tactics.

The ideas are embodied in the online calculator www.i-orp.com as well.
Thank you for this link. I just ran it for a 4.5% annual return and, as far as one can trust these calculators, it indicates that ER is within my grasp. So, no change in plans at this time. Class of 2012 here I come!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Interesting article but readers might want to adopt the qualitative aspects and do the math themselves. Looks to me like the author is mixing the concepts of AGI and taxable income and would be Roth converting into the 25% bracket even tho professing to the strategy of staying in the 15% one.
No substitute for doing math.

Do not read a technique and do it.

Read about a technique
then do the math
then read about another
then do the math

YMMV
Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
No substitute for doing math.

Do not read a technique and do it.

Read about a technique
then do the math
then read about another
then do the math

YMMV
Rinse

Repeat

Then, if you still have questions, consider professional assistance from a tax professional or fee-only planner. The math and other pitfalls are tricky indeed. One thing I found out the hard way was missing the income cut-off for Medicare. This year DW and I will each be paying an additional $40/month for Medicare because we didn't do our homework well enough. We just missed it due to some income items we misjudged. YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #9

LOL!,
Thanks for the link. I had lost it.

"I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
LOL!,
Ditto. I lost it too.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Rinse
One thing I found out the hard way was missing the income cut-off for Medicare. This year DW and I will each be paying an additional $40/month for Medicare because we didn't do our homework well enough. We just missed it due to some income items we misjudged. YMMV.
Hum... is this complicated, or could you elaborate some. I just started Medicare Advantage and don't recall any income limitations/penalty...Tight
Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Hum... is this complicated, or could you elaborate some. I just started Medicare Advantage and don't recall any income limitations/penalty...Tight
I don't think it's complicated except how you have to figure your income. The income limitations are based on MAGI not AGI or any other "usual" measure of "actual, spendable" income, so they kind of get you coming and going. IIRC, if your MAGI is something like $171K - That's not exact but you can look it up on the Medicare site - you have to pay an additional $40/mo for your Medicare the next year. We'll probably never hit that magic number again, but for this year it's going to cost us.

Don't know about the advantage plan since I don't use it.

We just missed the cut off due to several moves we made this year - none of which made us FEEL like we had an income of $171K, but apparently, the way they look at it, we did have that much MAGI. YMMV, so be sure to check for yourself.

My point was to be certain to do the math up front. Our back-of-the-envelope calculation will cost us close to $1000 this year!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
LOL!,
+1 One of the better tools that I have seen. Seems similar to Firecalc.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau

We just missed the cut off due to several moves we made this year - none of which made us FEEL like we had an income of $171K, but apparently, the way they look at it, we did have that much MAGI. YMMV, so be sure to check for yourself.

My point was to be certain to do the math up front. Our back-of-the-envelope calculation will cost us close to $1000 this year!
$171K? No wonder it didn't hit my radar. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #15

One thing I have noticed is that many of these retirment planners and advisors are based on a couple and their tax brackets. If one is single that trap needs to be avoided.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Read about a technique
then do the math
then read about another
then do the math
or "Measure twice. Cut once."

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One thing I have noticed is that many of these retirment planners and advisors are based on a couple and their tax brackets. If one is single that trap needs to be avoided.
Yep. Single me got nailed one year at a much lower number. Don't ask cause I don't remember and too lazy to look it up.

I do play games(what if scenarios) with ORP planner. Roth cuts in and out at strange(to me) times - my three balls are: % portfolio return, when to sell illiquid assets aka house and timberland, and spend early or not.

There are other things that can be varied but that's enough to boggle me.

Heh heh heh - after 18 years of ER , sometimes I just say screw the calculator and do what my bellybutton dictates.