Taxable long-term disability benefits received prior to minimum retirement age

If the employer pays all or part of the long-term disability premiums, then all or part of the payments can be taxed as income. If the beneficiary pays 100% of the premiums then the payouts are tax-free. That's how it was explained to me, a friend is currently on long-term disability but paid all the premiums himself and as such the payments are not treated as income. I think whether it's paid with pre-tax or after tax income also plays a role in determining if the payments are taxable. All his premiums are paid with after-tax money.

I had long-term disability when working and we had the choice of paying the tax on the benefit so that payments would be tax-free if paid. If we didn't pay the taxes on the benefit then disability payments were taxable.

I had long-term disability when working and we had the choice of paying the tax on the benefit so that payments would be tax-free if paid. If we didn't pay the taxes on the benefit then disability payments were taxable.

pretty sure that's how it works. it depends on how you pay the premium in the cafeteria (IRC 125) arrangememt

That's the way I believe it to be also. Think TIRA vs. Roth IRA. "Pay Sam now or pay Sam later."

Back
Top Bottom