Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

TaxACT: Online vs. Download
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TaxACT: Online vs. Download

Any reason to use the online version of TaxAct instead of the download version? Only advantages I see are $3 less (16.95 vs. 19.95 for the fed + state), and the ability to do your return from different computers.

-----------

Never mind -- the download version is obviously better for me at least -- I want everything stored locally.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not really. Maybe save some time for downloading and installing software on your computer. But if you use online, you have to be comfortable with putting your tax data online with a provider. I'm not.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the online version since 2 years. I see 2 advantages:
- It keeps your data online so next year you don't have to input personal data and last years taxes
- You can work on different computers without having to install the program and carrying your data around.
Works for me. And yes, it is cheaper. They actually send you an email in fall of each year. If you sign up (without commitment) they take an additional $3 (I believe) off. So my total for federal and state and electronic filing is $12.95.
2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Agree with above comments. And I forgot how nice it is to log in, and just update a few numbers. When I did that with TurboTax, I'd have to wait for the new updates to download and install. What a pain.

Also, the online version supports MAc and Linux - all you need is a web browser.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote