Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any other TaxAct users out there irked at having to pay $9.99 for the state e-file? I paid for TaxAct Premium, their top-of-the-line most expensive product, and it includes 5 free federal e-files... 4 more than I need (and more than I imagine the vast majority of users would need). Seems like the "premium" version of any product should be all-inclusive and not require yet more money from the customer to get full functionality. Do other competing products, like TurboTax or H&R Block, always charge extra for state e-filings, too?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turbo tax charged me $25 to e-file state.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Any other TaxAct users out there irked at having to pay $9.99 for the state e-file? I paid for TaxAct Premium, their top-of-the-line most expensive product, and it includes 5 free federal e-files... 4 more than I need (and more than I imagine the vast majority of users would need). Seems like the "premium" version of any product should be all-inclusive and not require yet more money from the customer to get full functionality. Do other competing products, like TurboTax or H&R Block, always charge extra for state e-filings, too?
Not at all bothered by it. TT, H&R and others are much more expensive. Cheapest way to get TA fed and state is to pre-order next year's taxes around May (when they send you an email with the offer). Requires a credit card to pre-pay, but your CC won't be charged until January of next year. I paid around $19 for both fed and state download this way.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

I have an curiosity question...

Do they charge differently for different states

Some state returns are pretty easy to do and others are hard... so programming has to be different for each state that has taxes...

Also, you have to believe that the number of people who file in say North Dakota is much less than in California or NY... so fewer people to spread the costs....
Old 04-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have an curiosity question...

Do they charge differently for different states

Some state returns are pretty easy to do and others are hard... so programming has to be different for each state that has taxes...

Also, you have to believe that the number of people who file in say North Dakota is much less than in California or NY... so fewer people to spread the costs....
I don't see how. I pre-paid last year in May for fed/state with no indication which state. When TA became available this year, I paid the pre-pay price, downloaded it, and then selected the state.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #26

You get the state (any state) for free, but then you pay extra to e-file it.

You don't pay anything to print and snail mail.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I just have one minor complaint. While being overseas, I used the free download version for many years to do my 1040. Last year, I moved back to the states so I purchased their Basic + State. I didn't read the small print that their Basic version was now limited to 1040A and 1040EZ. so I had to upgrade to the Deluxe. I did convince them to reduce the upgrade cost because I would have gotten the Deluxe cheaper in December had I known that the Basic version was limited.
Yeah - The current management definitely took TaxAct in a "new direction" this year.

Not happy about it one bit.

I have been purchasing their Deluxe product each year for at least a decade.

Sounds like TaxAct is adopting the things people dislike about TT (ie ... "Oh .. you wanted Schedule D?").

I would consider TaxSlayer next year, but I don't think that they offer a desktop (ie non-cloud based) product for the non-professional.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Since there are some gripes about TaxAct, I was interested in alternatives - I'll start a new thread though...

E-file a simple Tax return - best simple software/SS?

-ERD50
Old 04-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Yeah - The current management definitely took TaxAct in a "new direction" this year.

Not happy about it one bit.

I have been purchasing their Deluxe product each year for at least a decade.

Sounds like TaxAct is adopting the things people dislike about TT (ie ... "Oh .. you wanted Schedule D?").

I would consider TaxSlayer next year, but I don't think that they offer a desktop (ie non-cloud based) product for the non-professional.
+1
Old 04-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

TaxAct user for several years, I have always snailmailed in hardcopies of my state return to the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois. E-filing won't help if I'm entitled to a refund, which is rare, the state is barely one credit ranking above Zimbabwe and any refunds due won't be received until the trees drop their leaves, if I'm lucky.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
TaxAct user for several years, I have always snailmailed in hardcopies of my state return to the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois. E-filing won't help if I'm entitled to a refund, which is rare, the state is barely one credit ranking above Zimbabwe and any refunds due won't be received until the trees drop their leaves, if I'm lucky.
While I agree that having the State of Illinois owe you money is not a good position to be in, my tax situation changed this year, and I was due ~ $1,000 refund from IL.

It was paid pretty quickly. But I will see about adjust DW's W4 this year.

-ERD50
Old 04-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Cost was the primary reason I went with Taxact. It was $14.99 versus $136 for Turbo Tax. I initially ran through the process with Turbo Tax but at the end, balked at the $30. additional charge to efile. In fact I thought I must be mistaken about the efile charge, thinking they were offering me an instant refund.. but I wasn't mistaken.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used TaxAct for the past five years. I usually pop for the Fed+State promo they send out each summer (for the following tax season). You lock in the lowest rate then; this year I paid $15 for both Fed and State e-file (combined).
I use the online (web) version. I've never had any problems pulling in the previous year's data. I'm usually done by mid-March. I print to .pdf and a hardcopy for my own records. Direct Deposit refunds have been flawless.
I recommend it to my friends and colleagues and will continue to use it. I don't see the advantage of installing software on my PC anymore for taxes.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The IL state online income tax program has improved a lot, and is pretty quick and easy.
We used to mail it, but the amount of work to get all the little slips, and the Fed return to include with it in the mailing, then drive to postoffice, meant filling out the online return was quicker.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #35

H&R Block charges you a lot to e-file State return, printing and mailing it is included (for Premium Version).