TaxAct Review/Gripes

You get the state (any state) for free, but then you pay extra to e-file it.

You don't pay anything to print and snail mail.

I just have one minor complaint. While being overseas, I used the free download version for many years to do my 1040. Last year, I moved back to the states so I purchased their Basic + State. I didn't read the small print that their Basic version was now limited to 1040A and 1040EZ. so I had to upgrade to the Deluxe. I did convince them to reduce the upgrade cost because I would have gotten the Deluxe cheaper in December had I known that the Basic version was limited.

Yeah - The current management definitely took TaxAct in a "new direction" this year.

Not happy about it one bit.

I have been purchasing their Deluxe product each year for at least a decade.

Sounds like TaxAct is adopting the things people dislike about TT (ie ... "Oh .. you wanted Schedule D?").

I would consider TaxSlayer next year, but I don't think that they offer a desktop (ie non-cloud based) product for the non-professional.

Last edited:
Yeah - The current management definitely took TaxAct in a "new direction" this year.

Not happy about it one bit.

I have been purchasing their Deluxe product each year for at least a decade.

Sounds like TaxAct is adopting the things people dislike about TT (ie ... "Oh .. you wanted Schedule D?").

I would consider TaxSlayer next year, but I don't think that they offer a desktop (ie non-cloud based) product for the non-professional.
+1

TaxAct user for several years, I have always snailmailed in hardcopies of my state return to the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois. E-filing won't help if I'm entitled to a refund, which is rare, the state is barely one credit ranking above Zimbabwe and any refunds due won't be received until the trees drop their leaves, if I'm lucky.

TaxAct user for several years, I have always snailmailed in hardcopies of my state return to the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois. E-filing won't help if I'm entitled to a refund, which is rare, the state is barely one credit ranking above Zimbabwe and any refunds due won't be received until the trees drop their leaves, if I'm lucky.

While I agree that having the State of Illinois owe you money is not a good position to be in, my tax situation changed this year, and I was due ~ $1,000 refund from IL.

It was paid pretty quickly. But I will see about adjust DW's W4 this year.

-ERD50

Cost was the primary reason I went with Taxact. It was $14.99 versus $136 for Turbo Tax. I initially ran through the process with Turbo Tax but at the end, balked at the $30. additional charge to efile. In fact I thought I must be mistaken about the efile charge, thinking they were offering me an instant refund.. but I wasn't mistaken.

I've used TaxAct for the past five years. I usually pop for the Fed+State promo they send out each summer (for the following tax season). You lock in the lowest rate then; this year I paid $15 for both Fed and State e-file (combined).
I use the online (web) version. I've never had any problems pulling in the previous year's data. I'm usually done by mid-March. I print to .pdf and a hardcopy for my own records. Direct Deposit refunds have been flawless.
I recommend it to my friends and colleagues and will continue to use it. I don't see the advantage of installing software on my PC anymore for taxes.

The IL state online income tax program has improved a lot, and is pretty quick and easy.
We used to mail it, but the amount of work to get all the little slips, and the Fed return to include with it in the mailing, then drive to postoffice, meant filling out the online return was quicker.

Back
Top Bottom