Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Taxed Distributions form an IRA
Old 05-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,859
Taxed Distributions form an IRA

I have an IRA worth $300k with $20k of after tax contributions, I've submitted an IRS 8606
to document the $20k taxed basis. My IRA provider has no way of tracking the taxed money so when I take a distribution the 1099-R will declare the entire distribution taxable. How do I calculate the taxable amount, is it simply 1/15 of the distribution, and how do I claim the tax back?

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Taxed Distributions form an IRA
Old 05-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MasterBlaster's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,366
Re: Taxed Distributions form an IRA

On the 1040 form under income you list the IRA distributions. In another spot next to it you list the taxable portion.

The taxable portion is just the ratio of taxed to untaxed balances times the amount you had distributed.

Take a look at a 1040 form
Attached Files
File Type: pdf f1040.pdf (34.7 KB, 2 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traditional IRA to Roth Conversion Question Dog FIRE and Money 5 03-10-2007 10:53 PM
Help! SEP IRA was transferred into a Traditional IRA...bad? soupcxan FIRE and Money 5 12-19-2006 12:19 PM
Possible to combine SEP IRA with standard IRA? soupcxan FIRE and Money 2 07-16-2006 12:08 PM
Ruh-roh: Roth IRA conversions-- the IRS way. Nords FIRE and Money 14 06-03-2006 07:36 PM
What to do with IRA distributions not needed chickbull FIRE and Money 11 06-08-2004 11:57 AM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.