Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How did your taxes work out ?
Getting A refund 36 49.32%
Paying 28 38.36%
Breaking even 9 12.33%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Taxes
Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Taxes

Has everyone done their taxes and what is the verdict ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I voted getting a refund . I have been retired a few years and I am still nervous when I do my taxes but I am getting $2755 back . I am still trying to fine tune it so I get a tiny refund but I am not there yet .
Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I earned 50% more pay last year than the previous year, but only had enough tax taken out to meet a safe harbor. I will pay big time, so I will pay an estimate in April when I file for an extension. Then I'll send in my tax return next October.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted "paying" as I will owe around $600 but it was by design - would rather have use of the money than get a big refund at year end.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

Mine worked out beautifully. My refund from the state is slightly more than what I owe the Feds.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
gone traveling

Owe xxxxx to the feds and xxxx to the state.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have just done an estimate since I have yet to receive some 1099s, but I should owe $xx,xxx to the Feds and receive $x,xxx from the state.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Still waiting for IRS processing of my Fed. But according to the Turbotax calcuations, I'll pay about $170 for Feb and $10 for state. No surprises, so sounds good to me.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We'll get back xxx from the Fed. I like kisses.....
Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Refund. Would rather owe but not have a penalty. Our finances have changed so much. I'll try to work it out better next year. But hey, since we're getting a hefty refund, why not blow it on something like a new kick a$$ computer? Help stimulate the economy and all
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm still waiting for Vanguard to import my info to TT on the 18th.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Refund. Would rather owe but not have a penalty. Our finances have changed so much. I'll try to work it out better next year.l
Me too !
Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired one year ago this month so our taxes reflect that........and we are getting a large refund. Yippee!!! We plan to completely re-do two bathrooms in our house with the money so it's all good.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #14

I'm getting far too large of a refund this year. DW RE'd last year as part of a move we made for me to get a new job (a couple more years for me to FIRE, since she's a few years ahead of me and was eligible for a small pension). Anyway, I forgot to change my withholding from Married, 0 allowances + $150 extra taken out every two weeks to Married, 3 allowances. d'oh!

I just gave an interest-free loan to the government. Not unlike a short-term t-bill these days, LOL!

Looking at next year's return, with the assumptions I made it came out I will owe Uncle Sam $246 next year - spot on.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Pretty sure I'm paying a few thou since I did a Roth conversion, but I'm safe harbored by withholding more than I owed last year.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

what a co-inky-dinky

the cost of my new laptop is equal to my refund. I was wondering how I was gonna pay for my once-every-six-years new computer.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Haven't done it. But should be pretty close to a break even situation.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #18
gone traveling

Our target is to be +/- $50 in federal taxes each year. It's easy for us; DW still wo*ks - I'm retired.

I simply have 10% taken out of my monthly TIRA withdrawal which is sent by VG/FIDO directly to the government each month. In mid-December (before I do my monthly expense/tax withdrawal), I get the updated TT software and do an initial tax estimation for the year based upon actual income/tax paid for DW/me, along with what DW's income/taxes are for the next two weeks - end of year.

At that time, I'll have the appropriate tax taken out of my December TIRA withdrawal to adjust to our $50 target.

This has worked for the last four years of federal taxes due, as related to my retirement. Luckily, we don't have to worry about any state/local tax. There is none for me and my DW has her taken out of her pay. In our state, you pay the tax on all your income while still employed. There is no deduction for TIRA/401(k) contributions. However, in retirement you don't pay tax (since it’s been paid already). The only advantage to this system is that if you have any gains in your TIRA/401(k) funds, they are also not taxed.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Being an ER, I have zero taxes withheld now so unless I overpay my estimated taxes I will always owe. An unexpectedly large ST cap gains distribution last June doubled my tax bill, causing me to pay more in estimated taxes last year just to avoid any penalties.

I have received refunds in maybe 7 tax returns (states and federal) I have filed in 25 years. I would always rather owe than get a refund.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #20

I haven't submitted my return yet but the first cut shows we owe Uncle Sam big time. I withdrew a large amount from a variable annuity I inherited. The amount was less than my cost basis. I incorrectly assumed that there would be no tax due. I have come to find out that the IRS treats annuity withdrawals differently - assumes earnings (gains) first and the gains are taxed as ordinary income not capital gains rate. I failed to have anything withheld so I will have to write a big check to the USA.

Just my way of helping with the deficit.