Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
To the OP, I would just add, that withdrawing from your 401K (if you qualify and there is no penalty) is probably a good strategy to use to avoid a tax torpedo. That's the one that comes when you take social security and have to start taking RMD from the 401k. Reducing the tax-deferred account (401K/traditional IRA) to the extent you can before RMDs kick in will also help reduce the tax hit.

-Rita
True, but a little of the tax torpedo is coming earlier at 62 with DH taking his SS at that age. So it is possible that the best tax efficiency could include some mix of taxable too.
Using spreadsheets will assist in this process.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
To the OP, I would just add, that withdrawing from your 401K (if you qualify and there is no penalty) is probably a good strategy to use to avoid a tax torpedo. That's the one that comes when you take social security and have to start taking RMD from the 401k. Reducing the tax-deferred account (401K/traditional IRA) to the extent you can before RMDs kick in will also help reduce the tax hit.

-Rita
Yes, we'd planned on converting to top of bracket when it makes sense, so basically smoothing out the withdrawals.

It's a bit of a catch 22--it seems like you plan for worst case scenarios from a market returns perspective, but the flip side is that should minimize taxes. Then you plan for worst case tax scenarios, but that also means you have typical returns!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
There's no such thing as "always the best strategy" in most financial situations, and this is certainly one with too many variables.
OP--
There are so many situations that one cannot control or know. Some people talk about the tax torpedo being the taxing of SS. That is just a pop gun to what often when the first spouse dies and they have both spouses incomes but file taxes as single. I have a relative who became widowed right as she was starting RMDs.

What would happen if you inherited someone else's nest egg (such as the one noted above?

It is difficult to define the best strategy when you don't know what will happen.

I'm now doing roth conversions up to the top of the 24% bracket. Will it be the least taxing? Not sure since I don't know every variable.

Go look at some old folks homes and see the % of men. You may want to consider the death of a spouse in your planning.

Run some ideal cases and some where bad thing happen (death of a spouse) and get a feel for where the edges of the problem space is. Then look at how to plan.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #24

Besides I-ORP you might also want to check out RPM (Retiree Portfolio Model) over on Bogleheads - warning, though, it's powerful but takes a bit of time to fully comprehend it. If you're not into spreadsheets, forget it.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Retiree_Portfolio_Model

Cheers.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote