Join Early Retirement Today

taxes by state
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

taxes by state

This was one of my concerns living in one of the taxU2death states, CT. I have read a number of threads regarding the issue but since they were older thought to present this link Taxes by State, maybe not perfect but gives a fairly strong representation of what to expect.

I hope others find it helpful.
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I worry about any one-aspect surveys of places to live in retirement. We wouldn't just be moving our taxable income to the state, but moving our bodies, our minds, etc. I've seen comprehensive reviews of states using a broad spectrum of criteria, including climate, crime, health, cost of food, cost of energy, cost of services, and job opportunities for seniors, as well as taxes. Looking at taxes without looking at least also at other costs of living would be misleading I would think.

It doesn't change the order that much, but it has been pointed out to me in the past that this does move Virginia (at least) up in the list quite a bit. I'm sure there are other states that move up and states do better in an overall comparison than they do strictly on taxes.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I was wondering about this. It seems lots of people on this board are very financially savvy. If so why is not everyone on this board that are in ER not int FL or NV. I was thinking of these two places for my ER but also places like PA (which does not tax 401K and SS) might work as well. Is it somehow cost of living in FL is relatively higher then I thought. Of course any place is better than NY where I live. Once our child is in college we are out of here.

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
kmt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
I was wondering about this. It seems lots of people on this board are very financially savvy. If so why is not everyone on this board that are in ER not int FL or NV.
Too blasted hot.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I worry about any one-aspect surveys of places to live in retirement.
Indeed. Tax rates are but one of many factors influencing Where To Retire. WV is generally middle of the road on tax burden sites but proximity to family was also an important consideration for us even though I loathe cold weather.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was wondering about this. It seems lots of people on this board are very financially savvy. If so why is not everyone on this board that are in ER not int FL or NV. I was thinking of these two places for my ER but also places like PA (which does not tax 401K and SS) might work as well. Is it somehow cost of living in FL is relatively higher then I thought. Of course any place is better than NY where I live. Once our child is in college we are out of here.
Go back and read bUU's post. Money is just one factor, and taxes are only part of the picture anyway. Florida has little to no interest for me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My kids, my family and my friends are all in Minnesota. If my kids all moved south I'd consider it but taxes/cost of living are no where near as important.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #8

Here is a map for state income taxes
http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...ions_large.png
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Agree with all comments
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with all comments

I agree with everyone's comments stated here. I offered this link as part of the whole package. Originally my intention was to move upstate NY but with the state of the state that has gone by the wayside. There is definitely a balance to all things, and this chart is simply one part of it for those who might be interested.
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Administrator

Many here have figured out that less state income tax does not mean lower total cost of living, and lower COL does not mean higher standard of living or quality of life.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingme View Post
This was one of my concerns living in one of the taxU2death states, CT. I have read a number of threads regarding the issue but since they were older thought to present this link Taxes by State, maybe not perfect but gives a fairly strong representation of what to expect.

I hope others find it helpful.
I realize this isn't perfect but I looked up Missouri and the taxes on food and other purchases are wildly out of date. It makes me nervous about the data.

"4.225% (prescription drugs exempt; food is taxed at 1.225%) Cities and counties as well as special taxing districts (such as fire districts) may impose a local sales and use tax that may raise the total tax by about 6.625%."

The real sales tax in Kansas City is over 4% on food and nearly 9% on general purchases. I know it says... blah blah blah raise by 6.625%... the effective taxes in the metro area are as I stated them. Sometimes higher. In nearby Kansas food is taxed at the same rate as other purchases, almost 9% (in grocery stores).
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25

I realize this isn't perfect but I looked up Missouri and the taxes on food and other purchases are wildly out of date. It makes me nervous about the data.

"4.225% (prescription drugs exempt; food is taxed at 1.225%) Cities and counties as well as special taxing districts (such as fire districts) may impose a local sales and use tax that may raise the total tax by about 6.625%."

The real sales tax in Kansas City is over 4% on food and nearly 9% on general purchases. I know it says... blah blah blah raise by 6.625%... the effective taxes in the metro area are as I stated them. Sometimes higher. In nearby Kansas food is taxed at the same rate as other purchases, almost 9% (in grocery stores).
Sales taxes in Mo are almost impossible to generalize. If you stay out of the 2 major metro areas you generally run under 7% for your purchases along with the prescription exemption and lower food (but not restaurant). However, you can get over 10% in certain areas, and there is no sign warning you. Some businesses have their own "taxing district" which is simply a one building district, using the special sales tax to help restore the property. Outstate MO, is very anti tax, metro areas will approve a lot. Everybody picks on smokers, but just last fall the state rejected an increase on taxes on cigarettes only even though I believe to be the lowest in the nation. Metro areas passed it, but the Outstate swamped it by a 7-3 margin to narrowly deny the passage.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972
You really have to dig deep to determine the effectiveness if you are moving only for taxes and cost of living. I initially considered moving to NV for the income tax reason in retirement as I have a nice pension. However the total math did not add up. First of all, I have a partial tax exemption to begin with here. Second, my health insurance was going to be almost triple what I was currently paying in the individual market. So already, I was money behind, and then their sales tax is generally higher, along with property tax, per where I am currently living. I may eventually move out there, but it won't be to save any money.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You really have to dig deep to determine the effectiveness if you are moving only for taxes and cost of living. I initially considered moving to NV for the income tax reason in retirement as I have a nice pension. However the total math did not add up. First of all, I have a partial tax exemption to begin with here. Second, my health insurance was going to be almost triple what I was currently paying in the individual market. So already, I was money behind, and then their sales tax is generally higher, along with property tax, per where I am currently living. I may eventually move out there, but it won't be to save any money.
+1
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #15

The state seem to get their money one way or another maybe cost of living is the best thing to look at not taxes. Is there any truth to this?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The highest quality of life I can afford; that's what I'm looking for once I'm no longer tied to a place by a job. Low income taxes might be offset by lesser quality of life, by our standards.

Also, the $ cost and nuisance cost of selling and moving can be quite high.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #17

Here's a link posted recently in another thread that will estimate your taxes (as opposed to a general rate): http://www.tax-rates.org/income-tax-...action=preload

I agree that moving just to get lower income tax rates should not drive the decision, but when I looked at how much of my money I'd give up over 40 years, it REALLY added-up. The benefit from Roth conversions was trivial compared with jumping over to SC (same metro area). Last kid graduates HS in a few weeks, so that's the biggest anchor gone.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Sales taxes in Mo are almost impossible to generalize. If you stay out of the 2 major metro areas you generally run under 7% for your purchases along with the prescription exemption and lower food (but not restaurant). However, you can get over 10% in certain areas, and there is no sign warning you. Some businesses have their own "taxing district" which is simply a one building district, using the special sales tax to help restore the property. Outstate MO, is very anti tax, metro areas will approve a lot. Everybody picks on smokers, but just last fall the state rejected an increase on taxes on cigarettes only even though I believe to be the lowest in the nation. Metro areas passed it, but the Outstate swamped it by a 7-3 margin to narrowly deny the passage.
Yes - it's quite a nightmare!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you move from NYC to Las Vegas you will understand.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you move from NYC to Las Vegas you will understand.
One of my favorite topics: where to live?

I have been retired for about 1 1/2 years. I currently live in NYC, but I could live anywhere, and so I have given this topic a lot of thought.

The biggest factor for most NYC residents vs. other places is cost of housing. Since I own my home free and clear and I live in a small space, this is not a huge issue for me. In fact, carrying costs and property taxes might be higher in another city.

Health insurance is also way more expensive in NYC than most other places, but Obamacare should help address this. It looks like I would qualify for the subsidies.

In some ways NYC is less expensive than other places. Although I own a car, I really don't need one. When I was working, I commuted to the suburbs and my car expenses approached $8k/year after taxes. Now I hardly ever use my car and my auto-related expenses are less than $2k annually. Like most people in Manhattan, I tend to use public transit or walk everywhere.

Income taxes are a big consideration. Under NY state laws, dividends and cap gains are taxed at ordinary income tax rates, and NYC has a city income tax in addition to the state payment. I live off of investment income, so this is a big deal. My combined city and state income tax rate is about 10%. Not having to pay this would free up cash for more vacations and fun - or even just more piece of mind and flexibility if the market craters.

I have been considering relocating to FL, TX, or NV, and I am preparing a side by side comparison of all factors. I like NYC, but I would also like to see what else the world has to offer. Everyone's priorities are different. (Note to Ha - I actually think Las Vegas has a lot going for it. A topic for another thread I guess LOL!)

Net net, financially there would be some modest savings in moving from NYC to a lower tax location. These are not a big deal in the short run, but they would certainly add up over time. Measured against the "costs" of leaving friends behind, proximity to family, and some lifestyle issues, it is a tough call for now.

I plan to make the most of the summer in NYC and make a decision later this year.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote