Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Taxes in Retirement
Old 06-22-2005, 12:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Just because your SWR is 80k doesn't mean your AGI or taxable income needs to be 80k.
Agreed. The point I was trying to make was you have to consider other taxable income during the year in which you do the Roth conversion.

REW
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Agreed. The point I was trying to make was you have to consider other taxable income during the year in which you do the Roth conversion.

REW
Got it. It does have the feeling of taking bitter mediciine. I hope that we all remember that and write congress people if need be years from now if they ever decide the want to 'have their cake and eat it too' and start taxing us a second time.

My accountant and I work out, every November, what my AGI is likely to be, and we then set about 'harvesting' the remainder of any 10% or 15% federal tax brackets by converting that amount of IRA/401k to Roth before 12/31 of that year.

For me its all about the compound interest factor -- the amount of tax you'll eventually pay during the RMD years because the IRA has grown so big during the decades it compounded, and now its all taxable at ordinary income rates.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #23

Quote:
the scary scenario where people convert to Roths and then Congress changes the rules to make them taxable,
Or replaces income tax with a national sales tax, in which case the converted Roths and all of our other after-tax savings are taxed twice. Guess that's not going to happen, though.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wouldnt count on it.

We'll end up with a national sales tax that gets reduced by the amount of income taxes you pay. That way you'll get it either way.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Or maybe a national GST or VAT that is then deductible off of taxable income. One way or another they are going to try to get ahold of all that retirement money boomers are set to spend.

The new tax feature this year, where you can deduct state income tax or state sales tax, may be the beginning bricks being laid for a big old VAT.

I understand tax reform is in the air on Capitlol Hill again -- don't know if it will amount to anything but if Bush and Team don't get SS Reform for a legacy, they may try for tax reform.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
I understand tax reform is in the air on Capitlol Hill again -- don't know if it will amount to anything but if Bush and Team don't get SS Reform for a legacy, they may try for tax reform.
Limp, limp, quack, quack...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:08 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Aflac?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote