Join Early Retirement Today

Taxes... those damn taxes!!
Old 12-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Taxes... those damn taxes!!

Ok, so we all spend allot of time during the accumulation & draw down phase focused on minimizing our tax liability. Legally speaking, limitations exist based on your income, employee status (i.e. W2, 1099), options available to you (i.e. Plans offered by employer), assets/liquidity, and your personal risk tolerance for certain investment types. I thought it might be helpful to share tax strategies we all use during these phases.

I am still in the accumulation phase 3 yrs from FIRE. I am a 1099 guy so my income fluctuates, but has allowed me to put significant $$ away since I live well below my means. Strategies used by traditional employees and 1099 folks like myself include the following...
- Maximizing traditional 401K plans including matching and any catch-up provisions
- if no 401K, max out SEP/IRA, other, including Roth
- For some who make significant 1099 income and are fairly liquid, I recommend a Defined Benefit Plan. Short version is it works like a combo IRA/401K, but it allows you to put away potentially a few hundred K in a year depending upon a number of factors, all of which is tax deductble/tax differed (more compicated than this, but very lucrative)
- RE investments
- Maximize business, charitable deductions
- Conservation easements
- Tax efficient investments

What creative (legal) ways have you found to minimize taxes?

DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two come to mind:

1. I know about the perpetual pay-off-the-mortgage debate. For me, I paid mine off a few years before I retired. Now, because I have very low expenses without a mortgage, I can avail myself of the various low-income tax goodies that are out there, like ACA subsidies, ACA cost sharing reductions, ACA subsidy repayment caps, 0% capital gains taxes, and the Child Tax Credit. Also, possible low EFC when that time comes for my kids to go to college.

2. This one is not widely replicable, but I ended up buying stock in my employer about 6 years ago, and they got bought out earlier this year. The capital gains appear to qualify for a capital gains exclusion under section 1202, making 75% of my gain tax-free.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As an unmarried couple, we have two primary residences in different states. We visit each other for about 1/2 the year and plan to take two capital gains exclusions if/when we sell. OTOH, we sold a small rental house on owner-carry contract we've owned 25+ years and just paid tax for the whole sale price profit + our regular state & federal 1/4ly tax. Whuff! Have lived a year on less than the aggregate of those checks.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

Open a deferred annuity. Over fund whole life. Donate appreciated shares to a charity trust.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Instead of getting a 1099, get incorporated or form an LLC. Then take a large dividend and avoid much of the self employment taxes. That's a 15.3% savings.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Nothing creative, as most of the really creative ones require moving a lot.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago, I was able to "bunch" my itemized deductions because I was near the standard deduction amount. Bunching them allowed me to claim the SD in alternating years , effectively bumping up my itemized deductions in the off-years while juicing up the itemized ones in the on-years.

Eight years ago, when I ERed, I used NUA for the company stock I cashed out, paying only 15% LTCG on most (97%) of its value. I still got hit with state income taxes and the federal AMT on the rest of my small income, and paid a small tax penalty on the non-NUA portion of the company stock. But I still saved a lot on taxes by cashing that out while doing a direct rollover of my pretax 401k into a TIRA, a non-taxable event.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Two come to mind:

2. This one is not widely replicable, but I ended up buying stock in my employer about 6 years ago, and they got bought out earlier this year. The capital gains appear to qualify for a capital gains exclusion under section 1202, making 75% of my gain tax-free.
On rare occasions I hear a good positive story on taxes. Nice to start my day reading this one.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

We reduced our taxes from $60,000 a year (federal) to zero by quitting work.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I fully fund an HSA account every year and NEVER take money out. Via Optum Bank I invest account in Vanguard stock funds. This can then grow tax free (state and local) forever. Pay for health expenses out of pocket. My HSA account is now 6 figures and growing. JMHO
LiveBelowMeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Start a business. Have business write offs. That is by far the best. Be your only customer if you have to. You sometimes have to start small.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's quite a shocker to have to pay taxes when selling a rental property at a loss, and still the IRS accounting shows a "gain" on which Federal and state taxes must be paid. Odd how little info was out there on the tax perils of landlording back when we got embroiled in rental property. Tax guy never warned us, and there wasn't even much on the Net way back then. Everything I found in my research, emphasized all the tax advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
As an unmarried couple, we have two primary residences in different states. We visit each other for about 1/2 the year and plan to take two capital gains exclusions if/when we sell. OTOH, we sold a small rental house on owner-carry contract we've owned 25+ years and just paid tax for the whole sale price profit + our regular state & federal 1/4ly tax. Whuff! Have lived a year on less than the aggregate of those checks.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
We reduced our taxes from $60,000 a year (federal) to zero by quitting work.
This is a good reminder that we have income tax, not wealth tax in this country!
Beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Also a good reason not to envy people with pensions too much. We pay full IRS and State income taxes on our pensions, except the actual amount we contributed to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
This is a good reminder that we have income tax, not wealth tax in this country!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Start a business. Have business write offs. That is by far the best. Be your only customer if you have to. You sometimes have to start small.

Technically you cannot have yourself as your only customer... heck, I do not think you can have yourself as a customer anyway you slice it if you are 100% owner.... maybe even less % owned...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote