Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Funny but with all that money so few seem really happy.... Small wonder.
1)they change spouses like we change slacks.
2)zero privacy
3)the media is in your face dying to catch you in an unflattering position.

Then there's the tabloids: Stars Who Aged Poorly, Stars who gained weight, stars who are desperate for their next gig. Really dumb stars... Stars who cheat...
SongWRITER. SongWRITER. Be the songwriter! Who can pick Bernie Taupin out of a crowd? Makes boatloads, even when Elton is in concert, Bernie can be on the beach in LA pulling in the royalty.

Do you know Holly Knight? No. But you've heard her songs. Lots of them. My favorite Holly Knight story is when Aerosmith's producer encouraged them to get outside writing to help, and Holly came in and changed one word ("Time" to "Doll") and, BAM, 25% royalty worth at least $1M.

Nice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

In a market economy nothing is "overpriced", it may be over valued but the price is what people are willing to pay.

As to Madonna being "stale" do you really think she cares?

Madonna Net Worth - TheRichest
Old 04-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whether Taylor is talented or not is highly debatable and subjective. It does not matter anyway. I personally do not listen to her songs. However, she definitely has a huge fan base that adores her and loves her songs. She's very successful in marketing herself and making money. That's good for her.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Whether Taylor is talented or not is highly debatable and subjective. It does not matter anyway. I personally do not listen to her songs. However, she definitely has a huge fan base that adores her and loves her songs. She's very successful in marketing herself and making money. That's good for her.

Well said and spot on!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

I know this is about Taylor etc... and we had mentioned CEO salaries as something that is not always related to talent...

What about the people who make over $1 million doing youtube or other online things.... are they really that talented? Not IMO...
Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I remember a few years back-

My son had been running tractor on the farm. Out in the sticks, not a good selection of radio stations. I took supper out to him. He said-

"If Taylor Swift can't find some better boyfriends, I'm going to have to start listening to Classic Rock again!"
Old 04-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The wildest one is Judge Judy. She makes around $45 million a year for that 30 minute TV show. And she is like older than my Grandma.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post

As to Taylor Swift...I have nothing against her, but she is a mediocre guitarist at best with average vocals. She's popular because a lot of people like her songs, not because she is extraordinarily talented.
Agree. To me her music along with most popular music is boring in the extreme. I could not possibly listen to even one whole song. Contrast her boring drivel with the late Merle Haggard. That man had human feeling in his songs.

Ha
Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious how we define talent, especially as it relates to art.

Is talent just stuff we like?

People didn't like Van Gogh's work when he lived. And now they do. So was he not talented then but became talented posthumously?

Sure he eventually had a huge influence on other artists and that's a big reason why he's considered talented today. But isn't that just another way of saying "Van Gogh became popular among other artists?"

And if someone produces art that no one ever appreciates can they still be said to have talent? In Van Gogh's case, I think we'd just consider him eccentric.

MusicLover mentioned technical skill. But is the application of technical skill talent or is it simply craftmanship? Truly talented people seem to push beyond the limits of old techniques or even completely upend them to create something new.

On the other hand, if artists are creating things that are popular but not particularly new, innovative or technically impressive does that mean they have no talent? The early Beatles could be described this way.

And if talent is just stuff we like, then wouldn't the fact that a lot of people like an artist be evidence of talent whether we appreciate it or not? Or is something else required?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I'm curious how we define talent, especially as it relates to art.

Is talent just stuff we like?

People didn't like Van Gogh's work when he lived. And now they do. So was he not talented then but became talented posthumously?

Sure he had a huge influence on other artists and that's a big reason why he's considered talented today. But isn't that just another way of saying "Van Gogh became popular among other artists?"

MusicLover mentioned technical skill. But is the application of technical skill talent or is it simply craftmanship? Truly talented people seem to push beyond the limits of old techniques or even completely upend them to create something new.

And if someone produces art that no one ever appreciates can they still said to be talented? In Van Gogh's case, I think he'd just be considered eccentric.

On the other hand, if artists are creating things that are popular but not particularly new, innovative or technically impressive does that mean they have no talent? The early Beatles could be described this way.

And if talent is just stuff we like, than wouldn't the fact that a lot of people like an artist be evidence of talent? Or is something else required?
Thanks for that. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Not that it is so, but isn't there "talent" in lucratively manipulating media and a fan-base even though you might only be mediocre entertainer?

I certainly think so.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Thanks for that. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Not that it is so, but isn't there "talent" in lucratively manipulating media and a fan-base even though you might only be mediocre entertainer?

I certainly think so.
If you ever heard Bob Dylan, or Steven Tyler, you would think marketing plays a larger impact than any vocal talent...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #52

More power to her. She's providing something that a lot of people want/desire.

Im sure all of us listen to music...they're very talented people who have a skill that millions of people will pay for.

I always find it odd when people try to make the argument that athletes/actors/musicians are paid too much. What they fail to understand is its the average joes that pay their salaries. We all vote with our money...if no one pays to see a movie or attend a concert these people would not make that much.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #53

Also..for those talking about who has talent and who doesnt...it doesnt matter. Regardless of talent those individuals are tuned into a frequency that you and I cannot see/hear. That frequency is being picked up by the millions of people who support these people. Talent has no meaning in terms of success...its irrelevant.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #54

Wikipedia says she started working at age 14 so it isn't surprising that she is making more than I was at her age.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
More power to her. She's providing something that a lot of people want/desire.

Im sure all of us listen to music...they're very talented people who have a skill that millions of people will pay for.

I always find it odd when people try to make the argument that athletes/actors/musicians are paid too much. What they fail to understand is its the average joes that pay their salaries. We all vote with our money...if no one pays to see a movie or attend a concert these people would not make that much.
Bingo! And, in essence, setting their "salary" in the first place.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The difference with athletes is that the taxpayer is often forced to pay for their workplaces (stadiums and arenas), whether they want to or not.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I'm curious how we define talent, especially as it relates to art. ...

And if talent is just stuff we like, then wouldn't the fact that a lot of people like an artist be evidence of talent whether we appreciate it or not? Or is something else required?
I'd say that for the most part, it doesn't matter how we define it. As others have said, her fans like her music/performance/personality/looks (the whole package), isn't that enough?

I asked earlier "- is she talented, music-wise?", but I should have worded that more like MusicLover did, and ask about technical skill and craftsmanship. Again, it doesn't really matter, it was just something I was curious about.

Technical skill and craftsmanship are still somewhat subjective, but certainly more objective than 'talent' (I like what I like). I'm pretty sure that 100 experienced guitar players would have judged her playing along the lines that I did - adequate for the song, mixes up the strumming (not just 1-2-3&4) but doesn't throw in any embellishments. Pretty simple playing.

Technical skill and craftsmanship doesn't cover it all either. There is that less definable 'feeling/soul/emotion'. I love much of Joe Cocker's work, some of Rod Stewart's early work, yet their voices are almost hard to take. But they get a message across with what they have. So maybe that is 'craftsmanship'?

And whatever I think doesn't matter to anyone else. Everyone is free to enjoy whatever they like. But if someone wanted to claim that Swift is an accomplished guitar or piano player, I would take issue with that, and say she is adequate.

OTOH, a favorite movie clip of mine is from "School of Rock" - Jack Black asks the kids who their favorite artists are, a kid yells out "Puff Daddy", and Black yells out "WRONG!".

-ERD50
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If you ever heard Bob Dylan, or Steven Tyler, you would think marketing plays a larger impact than any vocal talent...
Bob Dylan is one of the greatest songwriters of all time.... but that voice... I just can't get into that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
The difference with athletes is that the taxpayer is often forced to pay for their workplaces (stadiums and arenas), whether they want to or not.
Quote:
I am sure Taylor Swift plays in many publicly financed arenas as well. And even the movie stars here in MN, get a 25% rebate for expenses paid in MN... Many other states have the same.

If I could get a 25% rebate for my expenses, I would be rich too. The system is stacked against the common person, especially if they are just a W2 wage slave.

Quote:
Rebates have increased to up to 25% of qualified MN expenditures, above the line talent (non-resident) will be included as an eligible rebate cost (cap $100K per person), and a production that spends more than $1M in MN will automatically qualify at 25% and will be audited by an independent auditor paid for by MN Film and TV.
https://mnfilmtv.org/incentives/snowbate/
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am sure Taylor Swift plays in many publicly financed arenas as well. And even the movie stars here in MN, get a 25% rebate for expenses paid in MN... Many other states have the same.

If I could get a 25% rebate for my expenses, I would be rich too. The system is stacked against the common person, especially if they are just a W2 wage slave.
I'd say it's an equal opportunity fleecing.

Half the money Louisiana should have collected in corporate taxes between 2005 and 2010 was instead written off due to tax credits,

As bad as the whole stadium racket is, I doubt they're collectively the largest recipients of public largess.