Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a call on average about once every two weeks. I just kept blocking whatever number they called from. They stopped after about 3-4 calls.

COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
It appears that they have escalated their attack due to my lack of response

The latest notice is the IRS has issued a warrant for my arrest and the local police will be coming soon to haul me off to jail.
I’ll bake you a cake with a file in it.

Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #23

Cool, I might need it. I mean before they had just filed a lawsuit but now they've issued a warrant and the cops are on the way!

I'm so scared -
Old 07-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Cool, I might need it. I mean before they had just filed a lawsuit but now they've issued a warrant and the cops are on the way!

I'm so scared -
When they come, just stand out front with a handful of hundred$ and tell them you want to blow that dough on having them forget about the whole thing.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Oh no!

On the last call before they came to arrest my dad, they ended it with "Good Luck." Nice touch.
I was at my dads and someone was trying to scam him. Trying to return money to him for something he didn’t know he bought. I took the phone and said I was well aware of the scam and not to call here again. His response - F you, and hung up. I looked at my dad and said “pretty sure no legitimate customer service rep would end the call with F you.” Hopefully he’ll learn not to talk to those a-holes.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a couple robo calls stating a warrant was issued in my name by the IRS and for me to call a phone number. I did not call.

I notified our county sheriffs office. They said they won't investigate out of state robo calls and to just hang up. Disappointing since I at least had a phone number they could work with.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
I notified our county sheriffs office. They said they won't investigate out of state robo calls and to just hang up. Disappointing since I at least had a phone number they could work with.
You probably didn't. The scam callers generally forge the "calling from" number nowadays. Often to the same area code and exchange, to make you think it's maybe a neighbor or local business.

There's really nothing local law enforcement can do if the scammer is in another jurisdiction.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
There's really nothing local law enforcement can do if the scammer is in another jurisdiction.
Particularly when they are calling from another country, which they frequently are.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #29

Quote:
It appears that they have escalated their attack due to my lack of response

The latest notice is the IRS has issued a warrant for my arrest and the local police will be coming soon to haul me off to jail.
darn, some of you guys get all the excitement.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #30

Quote:
You can post your bond amount the the "Blow that dough!" thread.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #31

The warrant police called me twice in the last 2 days. But nobody came to get me! whew, dodged another one.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We have the equivalent scam in Canada that references the Canada Revenue Agency and RCMP.
One anonymous person recently duped wanted to tell her story and it was written up on of the local newspapers. Basically, she seemed to be a smart person and knew of the scam but she's irrationally scared of authority/getting into trouble. So, when they called her up with a ridiculous request to make payment for an incorrect tax filing, under threat of being arrested immediately, she did so. She obviously feels stupid now.

But the scammers are preying on people willing to blindly follow requests of an "authority" figure over the phone whether out of fear or ignorance. And there are numerous similar examples where a prank call successfully instructs a person to do pretty stupid things: strip searches, smashing all their windows, etc.

People have to be willing to question authority. That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk in how you go about it though. And the people fielding such questions need to have the patience to answer the questions, understanding that people can't expected to be sheep. Situation dependent of course.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #33

I don’t get the solicitations because I don’t answer the phone for anyone, if it’s important enough they will leave a message, with my busy schedule I don’t have time to bother with incoming calls
Old 07-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #34

They called again yesterday. I guess they gave up trying to arrest me, they said they had filed a lawsuit as usual.

Mail must really be slow here, I still haven't received the summons from the lawsuit they filed 4 years ago.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #35

I got the IRS scam guy calling me non-stop for about 3 months and he finally stopped.. he was very persistent though.

Of course, then I got an IRS notification in the mail this week and was like wow, that's pretty gutsy they went to mail scam.. really? Glad I actually looked at it.. errr after 4 hours of looking through all my records and calling the IRS, yep I fat fingered my SS# when I paid estimated taxes, so the IRS bill was real...oops, had my conf #s so they found it and credited it, so fixed but knowing me I so could have ignored it as a scam.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #36

They haven't called me for a while now. I wish they would, I would tell them I want to surrender where should I go? See how they react.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #37

I have gotten 2 REAL IRS letters, so I know what they look like. Both issues were resolved satisfactorily with no additional tax due
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #38

Quote:

I'm so scared -
https://youtu.be/UKuc4nfJByc