Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tell me the good, the bad, the ugly of NY Life Clear Income fixed annuity.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tell me the good, the bad, the ugly of NY Life Clear Income fixed annuity.

I am 61 and a half. With my Fidelity planner looking at the singe premium NY Life Clear Income Fixd annuity as an income supplement and investment protection. Will start the withdrawals at age 65 when I plan to retire. My SS Income then will be $40,000. My expenses should run about $55,000. The annuity would represent about 25% of my current IRA savings and fill the gap.

Thoughts?

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
I am 61 and a half. With my Fidelity planner looking at the singe premium NY Life Clear Income Fixd annuity as an income supplement and investment protection. Will start the withdrawals at age 65 when I plan to retire. My SS Income then will be $40,000. My expenses should run about $55,000. The annuity would represent about 25% of my current IRA savings and fill the gap.

Thoughts?
What's the "Guaranteed Interest Rate" and the payout rate?
I bet you could do almost as well using a 5 year CD ladder.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

I'm also curious about the interest rate.

Does it have any inflation adjustment?

SPIAs are a good tool... but not so great in the current low interest environment.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #4

Idk NY Clear. Knowing insurance cos, it's probably not clear.

Your plan is solid, using retirement assets to guarantee a retirement income.

I'd suggest two things:
1). Compare with no load deferred income annuities.
2). Consider parking funds in CDs until you're 65, then buy the annuity. If interest rates go up, you may have higher income.
gcgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #5

First rule: if you don't understand it, don't buy it. This product is not "clear" to me.

If you understand it, you can compare it to the much simpler option of buying an SPIA when/if you want a non-inflation protected lifetime income.

I looked at this description from NY Life https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...33700528,d.amc

I don't see anything there that would make me want to jump on this.

You can get SPIA quotes here: https://www.immediateannuities.com/b...FdMvgQodDnoAUw
I see NYL showing up in some of their quotes.
They appear to have contracts where you pay now but defer your income start date, if that's the attraction of the NYL "Clear Income" product.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

The "bells and whistles" on many annuities are there to distract the customer and disguise the real costs of the product

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

40k SS is pretty high for a single person?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Jeff
jeffmete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm married

Sent from my SM-N900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 09-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The good: one survey said retirees on fixed incomes were happier than those relying on stock market returns. And if you don't compare alternatives, you're probably happy with it.

The bad: you haven't listed the interest rate in either post. The agent probably avoided discussing it. Compare it to alternatives, it might not look so good.

The ugly: company goes under? So do your payments. And I'll speculate that the commission would be interesting / ugly to know - how much does the person selling you this get as a result of you buying it?
OverThinkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I turned over the paperwork to an accounting friend to analyze it for me. I'll get it back next week.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 09-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing you should find out is if you want your money back in 1,3 or 5 years how much you would get back. The surrender charge after 5 years is 5%. The crediting rate is probably about 2.5% or so at best but there is a GLWB rider fee of .75%, so net you only earn about 1.75% (or less)

So if you put in $100,000 now and want out in 5 year then you would get about $103,608 or less [($100,000 * (1+2.5%-0.75%)^5)*(1-5%)]... less than a 1% per year net return.

If you put in $100,000 now, wait 5 years and then annuitize you'll receive $6,700/year for life. [($100,000*(1+5%)^5)*5.25%].

OTOH, if you bought a 5 year NYL deferred life annuity through immediateannuities.com with a $100,000 deposit today in 5 years you would receive $622/month or $7,464/year for the rest of your life so IF you're going to buy an annuity the more simple deferred annuity is the better deal.

Quote:
Deferred Income Annuity
Single Life & Period Certain Options
Income Starts in 5 Years Est. Monthly Income

Life Only (No Death Benefit) (info)
$690

Foresters Life (Rated: A)
$690 /est. mo. income

New York Life (Rated: A++)
$622 /est. mo. income

MetLife (Rated: A+)
$624 /est. mo. income

Lincoln Nat'l Life (Rated: A+)
$587 /est. mo. income
https://www.newyorklife.com/nyl-inte...Fact-Sheet.pdf
https://www.newyorklife.com/nyl-inte...al-Benefit.pdf

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverThinkMuch View Post
....The ugly: company goes under? So do your payments. And I'll speculate that the commission would be interesting / ugly to know - how much does the person selling you this get as a result of you buying it?
NYL is one of the strongest companies in the country... probably in the top 5 or at worst top 10.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:42 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I would never buy an annuity expecting to cash out. That's like buying a 5 year cd and cashing out after a couple of years.

My goals for an annuity are simple. Long term income to supplement other resources. Protecting a portion of my overall portfolio from a big market drop.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 09-24-2016, 05:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If you want long term income then your best bet is to use that money to delay starting SS until you are 70... you'll get a better payout rate than you would buying an annuity and the payments will increase with inflation.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you want long term income then your best bet is to use that money to delay starting SS until you are 70... you'll get a better payout rate than you would buying an annuity and the payments will increase with inflation.
+1

If you're focused on maximizing regular income, deferring SS is usually more cost effective than any private annuity. Your Fidelity planner should have told you that.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

And, FWIW, I have found that when pricing SPIAs, Vanguard offers the best payout of all the competitive insurance companies. I believe they charge 2% commission rather than the standard 3%, so the extra 1% is nice since it is for your lifetime.
Of course, check on your own at the time of purchase.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
+1

If you're focused on maximizing regular income, deferring SS is usually more cost effective than any private annuity. Your Fidelity planner should have told you that.
However, deferring SS is a negative for the planner if they are paid based on AUM so they would probably not suggest that even if they were smart enough to recognize it.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:14 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

no annuity should ever be considered without delaying ss first . you cannot buy any annuity product that gives you what ss does for the dollars you give up delaying .

short term annuity products are really cd's from an insurance company . they have no mortality credits since everyone gets paid out . that makes them very different than lifetime annuity's where those who die pay for those who live .
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post

Thoughts?
IMO this idea onlky makes sense if one is sure that inflation will never return.

Since it is absolutely impossible to be sure of this, an annuity should be a non-starter for anyone who needs the money.Buying annuities in 2016 will one day show up in books.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
IMO this idea onlky makes sense if one is sure that inflation will never return.

Since it is absolutely impossible to be sure of this, an annuity should be a non-starter for anyone who needs the money.Buying annuities in 2016 will one day show up in books.

Ha
Agree. I think that higher than the Feds target inflation is around the corner. Some economists point out on China's Yuan entering the world reserve currency status on Oct 1, 2016 as the cause. Reduction in other reserve currencies demand for trade by the world community will cause flow of unneeded Euros, US$, Yens etc back to original countries causing higher than normal inflation.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote