Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In elementary school we were shown a film about consumer mass consumption. I recall an animated scene with the word "MORE" repeatedly piling on top of other "MORE"s until the whole pile crushed the person at the bottom. Since I still remember it now, obviously it left an impression.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always lived somewhat LBYM but to be honest it wasn't until joining this board earlier last year and also BH that I really kicked it into gear. This place really motivates me and at the first of the year I bumped my 401k up to the max which was a bit of stretch for me so earlier this week I paid off my mortgage in full to make the 401k increase more manageable. I'm a not so young dreamer (45) who would say my conversion wasn't any single event but a progression which was culminated here.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #43

I've always LBYM, so I cannot point to one specific moment. However, I can remember when I first started w*rking. there was a co-worker (late 50s) close to retirement and wanted to buy a new pick-up truck. He constantly talked about how he was having trouble finding a loan. I thought to myself - now this is pitiful - here is a man who has worked all his life and cannot even afford to buy a vehicle.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Thank you for using rein and reign correctly. There misuse makes me crazy.
Shouldn't that be "Their misuse makes me crazy"?

Sorry - couldn't resist, especially as you had just thanked Ha for his correct usage

Or was that a joke that I was too slow to get?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Or was that a joke that I was too slow to get?
I think it is about 99.999% probable that it is a joke. A person needs very solid grammar to read all the grammatical crackups on this board and not totally lose one's compass. It used to be common to point out some of it, but that practice seems to have fallen into disuse.

My grammar is spotty, so even if I want to correct something Iím afraid of payback.

Ha
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think it is about 99.999% probable that it is a joke. A person needs very solid grammar to read all the grammatical crackups on this board and not totally lose one's compass. It used to be common to point out some of it, but that practice seems to have fallen into disuse.

My grammar is spotty, so even if I want to correct something Iím afraid of payback.

Ha
Had to be a joke. I laughed because "their, there, they're" drives me crazy. Almost as much as "its and it's."

I try to not point them out because of the payback. At my megacorp, we used to have a rule. Point out your coworker's deficiencies, but beware if you show any of your own, because you will get paid back double.

Sounds harsh, but if used properly, it elevated us all to do better. It was kind of tough love. And it also required the criticizer to have their ducks in a row. And ultimately, there really was an element of fun behind it.

Alas, some people got offended and HR put a stop to it. So now we just watch our coworkers make mistakes that cost us time and customers, and we just smile and sing kumbuya as the revenues fall. Nice. At least nobody is offended.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
And it also required the criticizer to have their ducks in a row.

His ducks in a row.

(QED)
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #48

Quote:

Ha
It gets worse when "speed" typing in a forum. Easy to fat finger something and I don't always type exactly what I was thinking, especially trying to multi task.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
His ducks in a row.

(QED)

Another thing Megacorp brainwashed taught me. Keep it gender neutral. Heaven forbid I call someone by the wrong gender. This is easy to do with unfamiliar foreign names.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

My conversion was when I was 17. Dad and I on the way to a ball game. He looks over at me and said we need to have the talk about money. He told me I need to LBYM and should put away 20 percent of what I bring home.....and don't ever spend it. Didn't tell me where to put it, but that's what I did. He told me if you can't afford to do it working five days, work six. Been taking that advice for three decades and will be done at fifty. Never spent any of the money. Have to go on a heck of a binge now to spend it all
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #51

Spell check is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
It gets worse when "speed" typing in a forum. Easy to fat finger something and I don't always type exactly what I was thinking, especially trying to multi task.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I used to let such things bother me, but when it became acceptable to use "decimate" (kill one-tenth) to mean "devastate" (destroy everything) I grew resigned. Now I just laugh at the whole mess - bad use of words or punctuation, and people who bridle at bad word use (especially when they, themselves, make mistakes).

Besides, I went back and read a novel I had adored when I was in high school, and realized the author (whom I had considered the greatest writer ever) didn't know the difference between "lie" and "lay"; nor, obviously, did his editor.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Had to be a joke. I laughed because "their, there, they're" drives me crazy. Almost as much as "its and it's."

Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #53

1942... potato peel soup.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #54

Quote:
I think it is about 99.999% probable that it is a joke.
On reflection, I see you are most likely right. My first reaction on seeing it was that it was a genuine mistake, which would have been even funnier, given the circumstances.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I used to let such things bother me, but when it became acceptable to use "decimate" (kill one-tenth) to mean "devastate" (destroy everything) I grew resigned...
Forever, people who work in the digital signal processing field have been using "decimate" to mean "throw away most, and keep only a fraction" when talking about their "decimation filter". This is exactly the reverse of the original meaning of the word. I wonder if these engineers were the culprits who started this misuse of the word. It is likely, as engineers tend to be terrible writers and worst abusers of languages.

Well, to tie in to the thread topic of LBYM, I would say that it's because engineers are frugal in their language usage. They can use one word to mean different things, or invent new words from what they know instead of searching for a proper existing one. How does one create an adjective or an adverb out of a noun? They have got a universal rule nailed down, at dismay of English majors. And to make it worse, they do not seem to care, as the listeners or readers actually understand what they mean. And if it works, they just keep doing it. Most LBYM'ers stress function over form, oui?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Was there a moment that you 'woke up' regarding the benefits of LBYM?

Nope.

As far back as I can remember back in kiddom I recognized the value of spending less than I had. My folks were married in the 1930's and often spoke about "back in depression days" so I must have equated all of that with simple arithmetic and lived accordingly. It's worked out well for me so far.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

Nope.

As far back as I can remember back in kiddom I recognized the value of spending less than I had.
I'm a product of around ten generations worth of PA Dutch culture. I remember vividly that my grandma had a drawer full of used, but empty, bread bags so that she wouldn't have to buy sandwich bags. My grandparents owned a handful of farms at one time so my grandma definitely didn't need to do this, but she wanted to. We have all become more like our grandparents since 2008.

I'm glad I was born into this culture.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I used to let such things bother me, but when it became acceptable to use "decimate" (kill one-tenth) to mean "devastate" (destroy everything) I grew resigned. Now I just laugh at the whole mess - bad use of words or punctuation, and people who bridle at bad word use (especially when they, themselves, make mistakes).

Besides, I went back and read a novel I had adored when I was in high school, and realized the author (whom I had considered the greatest writer ever) didn't know the difference between "lie" and "lay"; nor, obviously, did his editor.

Amethyst
It was a ritualized punishment in the Roman Legions for certain very serious offenses. Like you say, it required the death of every tenth soldier.

Decimation

Ha
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

No conversion ever really happened. I was always short of money, and understood that w*rk was required to solve that problem. Mom was barely scraping by herself, to cover high property taxes and keeping me fed and in private high school. No 'deadbeat dad' laws existed in those days, so child support was infrequent and incomplete.
So I weeded gardens, raked leaves, babysat, shoveled sidewalks, then graduated to being a PT mother's helper, cleaned houses, pumped gas, and got the best paying j*bs I could find to cover college costs not taken care of by scholarship, grant, or W*rk Study...yadda yadda yadda.
Once I got to the point where my salary was generous, the lifetime habit of saving (by default) continued. I just kept doing that.
When I was suddenly widowed in late 2004, it was not my husband's pension or life insurance that carried me through losing more than half the total household income.
It was my life savings at age 46, already in place, serving as a safety margin.
Once the financial dust settled, I FIREd at age 48.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

My parents were raised in the depression so knew to watch money. Mom had a little piggy bank to store dimes and used them to buy important things. She was usually saving to buy a dress but then one of the kids needed shoes so she didn't have a new dress for years. I started working at 7 for about 50 cents a day so knew how hard it was to earn money. I worked the rest of my childhood and didn't ever buy anything on from the snack wagon on the farm because they wanted 10 cents for a can of pop. I was making a few cents a pound for picking green beans I wasn't wasting it on something I didn't need. Christmas and birthdays I usually got a dollar and saved it and saved my pay. When I was 18 I had $50 saved, I was rich. I saw a tv show where they gave away a million dollars when I was about 13. I remember thinking the interest at the bank was enough I would have more money every year than my dad earned and knew just what I would do if I got the money.
Then I left home with my $50 and found a job and place to live but since I didn't own anything but one suitcase of clothes I spent my entire paycheck. I wanted a TV but they were about $100 for a 12in black and white and I only had $10 in savings. Dad cosigned for a credit card for me but the limit was $50 so I didn't get anything until after I was married. I couldn't really save while married, he would spend it but I wanted to save. He didn't want to be in debt so we didn't have credit cards. The minute I divorced him I started saving and investing and now have saved $658K, no consumer debt only a mortgage.