Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Carmax offered to buy the mazda for $5,500.

I drove the Accord and CR-V but I have to admit I like the Acura TSX the best, at under $30k (similar offerings from Lexus are over $35k). No question that I can afford it..... Would be nice to have the additional safety features (6 airbags vs. 2) and other comforts from the newer car.
This is a really nice car, that may cost you an additional ~$24,000. You cay you can afford it. You note the undeniable fact that will be safer and more pleasant to drive. Those side window airbags can save you from a head injury that can ruin your life. Also, in most places Acura dealer service is pleasure, not the torture that service from a low end dealer usually provides.

Problem solved!

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

best to buy used....
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

best to buy used....

The past 6 cars I have purchased have been off autotrader.com. I target cars within a six hour drive or so. I find used cars that I want, usually certified used, between 1-3 years old. I haggle over the price via email before I even go to the dealership. I have even negotiated trade in value ahead of time as well. The deal is not made unless both sides are as advertised.

It works for us.
LightningDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your money.. your decision.

I tend to drive my cars a little longer than 8 years and 80k.

I shoot for 12 years min. By that time (and mileage) I typically begin having regular (and expensive) repair costs.

When I FIRE... I am liable to shoot for 20 years (if the car will) because our mileage will be lower.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote