Ten Year Treasuries

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I see the market hit 5.26 for 10 year Treasuries today. If I want to buy Treasuries how do I do it? I have an account at Treasury Direct which I used for ibonds a while back, but never bought anything else. It looks like I have to bid on 10 year Treasuries and they only do this like 4 times a year, as it seems to say but maybe I am reading it wrong. I no longer have a trading account.

You could buy IEF, the 7 to 10 year treasury etf, or TLT, the 10-20 year etf. The latter is a lot more sensitive to rates.

I am thinking about buying some call options on TLT tomorrow.

According to the Tentative Auction Schedule of U.S. Treasury Securities, the next 10 year T-note auction is on 8/8/07. But there is an upcoming 10 yr TIPS auction on 7/12/07. You could always go for the 5 yr T-note auction on 6/27/07.

If you don't want to open a brokerage account, you could just stick the money in Vanguard's Prime MM @ 5.11% until the auctions comes around again.

- Alec

I think that right now...and at least for a little bit...the vanguard prime MM alec mentioned is king.

Theres a bit more damage to be done. At 5+% with no risk of capital loss...that to me is a no brainer.

In the land of "putting your money where your mouth is", i've got a little under a half mil in it right now.

But then again, supposedly I'm just lucky ;)

And a dirty market timer.

Like I mentioned in another thread...its just a matter of waiting it out until you reach the optimal level of intelligence. I was a moron for 7 years for selling my company stock and diversifying. Dang genius in 2000.

Or lucky.

498k-ish...same as yesterday, same as the day before...

But dangnabit, I want the value index to decline a good 15-18% so I can buy back in!! :)

h0e cuss?

<snip>

But dangnabit, I want the value index to decline a good 15-18% so I can buy back in!! :)

H 0 cus, is that you!? :eek:

Man, CFB, always good for a laugh, when you throw those low, slow ones over the plate and I'm holding the softball bat.

-CC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom