Tesla Fans-Formula E Racing

JOHNNIE36

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Saw a segment on CBS news tonight relative to electric race cars. The segment showed the emerging interest in auto racing using only electric cars. There is a web site devoted to this interest named Formula E Racing. The segment today featured the interest by Dragon Racing, headed up by Jay Penske, son of Roger Penske.

Wondered if anyone out there knows about this. All you Tesla fans should be interested. The news item mentioned something about another airing by CBS Tuesday night at 8PM Eastern. What I saw looked really interesting and I'll be tuned.

I love seeing the performance possible with electric motors.
That said, racing is at the bottom of my list of things to watch, just below golf ;)

I like auto racing, although other watching the Indy ever once in while, and few minutes of NASCAR occasionally don't do much watching on TV.

I loved watching the performance Tesla models hold their own and even beat the expensive muscle car in the 1/4 mile...

But I honestly have no interesting is watching E car racing.. At least 1/2 the fun of watching autoracing is the noise and well that is really lacking.

I like it. All forms of racing interest me. I believe all electric powered racing will be the future.
As an off-road dirt motorcycle rider I also look forward to all electric dirt bikes becoming the norm. This offers solutions to environmental concerns that threaten this sport.

...oh ya full disclosure I also own TSLA stock

I love racing and part of that is the sounds coming from some race cars. An F1 screaming down a long straight is music to my ears.

FE should be interesting, with lots of well known drivers and the different cars. I'll keep an eye on it, though I already watch too much racing.

I'm really taking the side of how the cars perform under electric power, both speed and reliability. Also, this sport of formula I (styling ) racing type vehicles, coupled with electric power should be real interesting. This Formula E is for the super rich. The CBS TV segment featured a race car builder/promoter that was contacted by this non disclosed ultra rich guy that started the whole thing by giving up $100M to get the whole E race car concept off the ground. Since then, others, like Musk, Penske, Branson, etc. have decided to join in the development.

I don't think the race itself is significant. It's the engineering and development of the electric drive that is of interest. In fact, I've seen mention of a two hour race using two cars. Race one for an hour, then jump into the backup and race it for an hour. Wish I new more about it.

I just think all the engineering types and car nuts would love this. I agree that a silent race car leaves a lot to be desired.

I think it will be interesting to see how the race classes are developed; will it be by motor size, battery capacity, weight? With ICE its easy to compete by engine size sometimes there are other constraints like different size engines for turbocharged machines. What about refueling? Have replacement batteries, pretty long pit time if they have to plug in;)
I have a Ford Focus Electric car and its performance is comparable to the sporty Foci, at least for 50 or 60 miles around town, fun going up onramps. But how to structure an electric car competition has some issues to resolve. Maybe it will be like drag racing where they make sure it stays competitive by whatever rule changes are necessary to keep any one vehicle from dominating more than one season.

Here's the official web page.

Formula E - Official FIA Formula E Championship

"The inaugural season will see 10 teams, each with two drivers, competing in the 2014/2015 FIA Formula E Championship.
For season one, each team will run four Spark-Renault SRT_01E Formula E cars, two per driver, with the cars/teams based at a purpose built central workshop at Donington Park during the off-season.
From season two, Formula E will become an 'open championship' allowing teams to design and develop their own cars - in accordance to the technical specifications set out by the FIA - and showcasing their electrical energy innovations in a competitive, racing environment."

The first race is Sept. 13 this year.

ETA: Fox Sports 1 is carrying the races on TV in the US.

Last edited:
Remember also, that for racing they will abuse those batteries to get the most out of them for a short time. They don't need them to last 8 years or 80,000 miles or whatever. I doubt that racing is going to provide any useful info for production vehicles.

The batteries in EVs (and hybrids) are treated gently, never really fully charged nor fully drained - that's why they last longer than most laptop batteries.

As mentioned, if they race with ICE powered cars and can out-perform them, they will end up with restrictions like the turbine engines that STP ran at Indy for a few years (restricted intake plate area, IIRC).

-ERD50

They already do electric motorcycle racing on the Isle of Man.... for a number of years.... I would think they do it on other circuits...

Remember also, that for racing they will abuse those batteries to get the most out of them for a short time. They don't need them to last 8 years or 80,000 miles or whatever. I doubt that racing is going to provide any useful info for production vehicles.

ERD50, I'm surprised at you! How many items on a regular vehicle today came as a result of the old Indy 500. Go way back to the rear view mirror. One never knows what will happen as a result of this racing venture.

ERD50, I'm surprised at you! How many items on a regular vehicle today came as a result of the old Indy 500. Go way back to the rear view mirror. One never knows what will happen as a result of this racing venture.

General advances maybe, but I still doubt (now I'm glad I said 'doubt', which does leave some wiggle room - as in 'unlikely') that we will learn anything about batteries, motors and controllers for production EVs from racing.

Does racing really lead to advances in production vehicles in this day and age, where research is done largely with computers and modeling?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom