Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Test Your Money Smarts
Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Test Your Money Smarts

I stumbled across this quiz in an Allan Roth column Avoid Money Problems by Age-Proofing Your Finances - AARP. So out of curiosity I took it because Allan said
Quote:
I took the quiz and aced it. But I'm a financial planner, and, at 56, I'm at the peak of my financial competency, according to a study based on this quiz by Michael Finke and Sandra Huston of Texas Tech University and John Howe of the University of Missouri-Columbia. Financial-acuity scores drop by about a percentage point every year after age 60, the study finds.
and gee whiz I got 15 out of 16 correct. I only spent the time it took to read the question and answers, IMO all the answers were obvious. Am I as smart as Allan? Probably not but I wonder if anyone thinks these questions are hard?

The one that tripped me up was #8 and I did think about it for a while. I was uncertain but based upon my analysis of the question and possible reasons for the correct answer I guessed and it was wrong. OK I'm not perfect!

How did you do?

Test Your Financial Knowledge and Compare With Others Your Age - AARP
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fun!

All correct.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

16 out of 16. Easy enough for anyone who reads this forum, reads Kiplinger or Money magazine or watches Suze.

I saw my score and all the Q and As at the end but not how my score compares with others my age.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #4

Whoo hoo! I got 16 out of 16. I did have to guess a little on #8 because unlike that big bald guy who ran for president a few years ago and Fonzie I know nothing about reverse mortgages
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Pretty basic - I can see getting tripped up on #8, I thought about it and could have justified the 'wrong' answer, but got it right for 16/16.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

I too missed 8 because I figured the lender would be looking at the worst-case scenario of a rate hike immediately after the loan was issued and base the lending criteria on that. I forgot how short-sighted they are.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Either the quiz was really simple or I'm really smart. 16 for 16. OK, bring on the snide remarks.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

16 out of 16. I think most denizens of this site will find it fairly easy.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

I only got a couple right. But I don't have to worry about financial stuff since my advisor got me fully invested in a long-term variable annuity indexed to leveraged Venezuelan beaver cheese futures.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Venezuelan beaver cheese.
Probably goes good with beer.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

Nice test. Got them all right. I tried the retirement quiz though and got 4 of them wrong. I guess I'm not an expert on retirement yet!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #12

Got 16.
But only got 5/10 on Social Security.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #13

16 out 16
jfn111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #14

I missed #15. I've never had to choose a life insurance policy, and don't know one kind from another.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I too missed 8 because I figured the lender would be looking at the worst-case scenario of a rate hike immediately after the loan was issued and base the lending criteria on that. I forgot how short-sighted they are.
That's where I was going too. But then I wondered if they were just figuring based on interest rates and current payment, and a fixed is usually cheaper, so that influenced me. Could have gone the other way just as easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Either the quiz was really simple or I'm really smart. 16 for 16. OK, bring on the snide remarks.
No snide remark required, I think BOTH are true ( aside form #8, which I don;t see as 'hard' just how you view it) . At least that's my story.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I scored 14 of 16. Two of the insurance questions at the end got me. I do not agree with #14's answer, as I valued the answer I made over the one it said was "correct." Number 15 I had no clue whatsoever, being that I am single with no kids.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #17

I aced it also. I kept worrying that the questions would get harder and I would not know what they were talking about. It was easy.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #18

15/16. I goofed on the question about the different types of life insurance (whole life, universal life, and renewable term). I have never bought life insurance, so know very little about it.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

100%

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #20

It never asked how old I was, so doesn't know how old I am, so can't "compare to others my age". I got 'em all, but had warning to burn a bit of sawdust on 8.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote