Join Early Retirement Today

Testicular Fortitude
Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Testicular Fortitude

MOVI has done nothing but plunge for weeks. It is painful to watch, but I don't think there is really anything wrong with the business. I jumped in for some more shares today, since I think that the business is absurdly cheap. The short interestt is now 1/3 or more of the float, so the slightest bit of good news is likely to set off a bit of a panic. I wouldn't suggest that anyone put more than play money into the stock, even though I am in for a good bit of folding money.

It is mentally and emotionally difficult to step into the breach when investing, but it usually yields the highest returns.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Testicular Fortitude
Old 09-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just dabble in individual stocks, but I don't see anything I like about MOVI.

I just bought some Apollo Investment Corp. (AINV) the other day at 19 and change. That stock has potential and it pays a nice dividend.

Maybe we should start an ER stock watch thread.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just curious about the name of this thread. For the females dabbling in individual stocks, should the title be "ovarian fortitude'? 8)

Old 09-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #4

Mail order DVD is in (think netflix). Everything else is out.

I hate to see you continue to lose. I've tried to tell you this once to no avail.

Azanon
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
I just dabble in individual stocks, but I don't see anything I like about MOVI.

I just bought some Apollo Investment Corp. (AINV) the other day at 19 and change.* That stock has potential and it pays a nice dividend.

Maybe we should start an ER stock watch thread.
Difference of opinion is what makes a market. *Companies with good management in a hated/out of fashion industry and a business that is basically OK are usually a good buy. *Having said that, I would not touch BBI with a stick.

- George Orwell

Old 09-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Mail order DVD is in (think netflix).* Everything else is out.*

I hate to see you continue to lose.* *I've tried to tell you this once to no avail.

Azanon
NFLX is and will always remain a niche player. They cannot offer the instant gratification that a drive-up movie rental place can. Simple as that.

As for telling me, let's just say that I have made an awful lot of money by ignoring what the man on the street says/thinks.

- George Orwell

Old 09-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #7

Hanging low after my small HNR purchase a few months back. I don't see too many deals. Waiting for the Pitney Bowe's spin-off. Guy mentioned Eagle in Barron's this past week.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
MOVI has done nothing but plunge for weeks. It is painful to watch, but I don't think there is really anything wrong with the business. I jumped in for some more shares today, since I think that the business is absurdly cheap. It is mentally and emotionally difficult to step into the breach when investing, but it usually yields the highest returns.
Brewman - Be careful don't put too many eggs in this one. Lily is worried about you putting to much into MOVI
S&P cuts Movie Gallery ratings
4:16p EDT September 12, 2005 (Reuters)
Sept 12 - Standard & Poor's Ratings Services lowered its ratings on Movie Gallery Inc. , including its corporate credit rating to 'B' from 'B+'. The outlook is negative.
"The downgrade reflects our growing concern that the company's operating results will continue to be pressured by poor performance of movies at the box office," said Standard & Poor's credit analyst Diane Shand. Movie attendance in the U.S. dropped 17% in the second quarter, and declines have persisted through the end of August. A movie's performance in the rental market is highly correlated with its performance at the theaters. Fundamentals in the rental industry have been weak since 2002 due to the elimination of the exclusive movie release rental time window as a result of the format change to DVD from VHS. Rental industry sales have declined about 2% annually for the past three years but have dropped at a high-single digit rate thus far in 2005 due to poor product. Additional factors may include increased video on demand of recently released films and a DVD market saturated with both feature films and TV series. Movie Gallery reported weak second quarter results. Given current industry trends, Standard & Poor's believes operating performance will be pressured over the next few quarters and credit protection measures will deteriorate.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As for telling me, let's just say that I have made an awful lot of money by ignoring what the man on the street says/thinks.
No one should presume to tell you what to do. I won't.

Though I will say that the chart looks horrible, at a time when secondary stocks as a class are quite strong. Also, the short interest is troubling. While you are certainly correct that it can light a rocket once a stock moves up, it is also true that short sellers as a class are often well informed professionals.

Ha
Old 09-14-2005, 06:25 PM   #10

I am feeling really good about KMG, which I bought in the mid 50's last fall. I sold 33 shares for 85 or so in their buy-back offer in May.

Now I wish I hadn't, as it's at 93 and I'm wondering if this is a false "Katrina" peak or if it's going to keep on going...

I'm also wondering if I should replace my 33 shares to get back to an even lot, or just ride it out.... It hurts to buy something for 93 that I could have had for 73 recently!

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
MOVI has done nothing but plunge for weeks.*
I hate being early to the party.

But just from the technical indicators it's grossly oversold and time to buy. We'll see how things look tomorrow... and next week... and next month... and next year...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hang in there, Brewer. Saw your earlier post on this, and it makes sense to me. If I weren't so lazy, and relatively uninterested in value stocks today, I might do a little due dilligance & put a little $ in myself.

I'm surprised people aren't more positive, as so many posters (in general) like value stocks. Find another dozen deeply depressed stocks that seem underpriced even considering their risk, and you've got a value fund without an expense ratio.

I don't pick stocks, but have been thinking about it a little... if there's parts of the market I want that indexes don't reach well, and I don't want to pay an E/R, I may need to do some stockpicking.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:47 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I am feeling really good about KMG, which I bought in the mid 50's last fall.* I sold 33 shares for 85 or so in their buy-back offer in May.*

Now I wish I hadn't, as it's at 93 and I'm wondering if this is a false "Katrina" peak or if it's going to keep on going...

I'm also wondering if I should replace my 33 shares to get back to an even lot, or just ride it out....* It hurts to buy something for 93 that I could have had for 73 recently!

Sheryl
I don't give advise on individual stocks because your plan and goals may be very different than mine, OTOH, a profit is a profit, a winner is a winner, and if you keep doing it enough, you'll come out on top on any plan.
Each time you buy and sell a stock is like taking a breath. Once you exhale (sell), its in the past, don't worry about it, and only be concerned with the next breath (stock or other purchase, etc.)

Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Also, the short interest is troubling. While you are certainly correct that it can light a rocket once a stock moves up, it is also true that short sellers as a class are often well informed professionals.

Ha
Ha, I have a very mixed feeling about short interest. On one hand, I agree with you that short sellers are usually well-educated professionals and usually are smarter than the average bear. OTOH, I have seen shorts do some awfully stupid things. For example, I cannot fathom why anyone would willingly pile onto a stock where short interest is already a large percentage of the float, especially when the company is actively buying back stock or otherwise aiming cannons at the shorts. Check out PPD for example, which was and is a favorite short target. I also don't get why shorts wouldn't cover once the stock price has plunged. PLMD and NLS were heavily shorted, the stocks crashed and the short interest hung on or actually increased. Surprise, surprise, both stocks rebounded (PLMD hit another all time high a couple days ago), which must surely have blown out most or all of the shorts' profits.

So I do look carefully when I see a huge short interest, but I have seen shorts make big mistakes in the past and it has been pretty profitable. I think I see the same thing with MOVI. If I were short MOVI, I would think long and hard about taking my profits here before the rest of the shorts decided to cover.

- George Orwell

Old 09-15-2005, 06:23 AM   #15

Since stock is of interest, how about GDT? JNJ is still interested in buying GDT for $76 per share and the stock is sitting at $70.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #16

I'm not looking for homers in this market, all I ask for are singles and an extra base hit once in a while - I guarantee TGT will be a double...by 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Mail order DVD is in (think netflix). Everything else is out.
I just converted to Netflix...deep catalog and no trips to get and return at Blockbuster.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledrz
Sheryl
I don't give advise on individual stocks because your plan and goals may be very different than mine, OTOH, a profit is a profit, a winner is a winner, and if you keep doing it enough, you'll come out on top on any plan.
Each time you buy and sell a stock is like taking a breath.* Once you exhale (sell), its in the past, don't worry about it, and only be concerned with the next breath (stock or other purchase, etc.)

Uncledrz
Thanks Uncle - that is good advice. I have been very "lucky," or skilled or careful so far in my stock selections. Probably because I just don't have enough time on my hands to research so I only buy things I'm very comfortable with. MMM has been my big long term success so far.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Welll, after 24 hours of wondering if I threw good money after bad, it looks like "jumping into the breach" is going to pay off. MOVI released a PR that indicated a not-unreasonable same store sales guidance range and said that they will get $50 million in merger synergies by next year. With 32 million shares out, that is a lot of merger-related juice. Stock is up 4+% in the after hours market. Plus there are another 9+ million shares short...

- George Orwell

Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #19

Good for you Brew - you do have big intestinals or is it testiculars...
Is this a quickie or a longie?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Good for you Brew - you do have big intestinals or is it testiculars...
Is this a quickie or a longie?
Probably both. I'm trying hard to work on my sell discipline, plus there will likely be some attractive stuff available to buy in the next month or so. Thus, I would be happy to lose some of my shares at 20 or so, some at 25-27, and the rest north of 30.

- George Orwell