Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
And, once again, so what if you affect your CLUE score?
I've "once agained" you repeatedly with my explanations. You can argue with yourself from here on out; I've added all I can -- you either get it or you don't at this point.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

OK, I'll continue to argue with myself. Is this CLUE score something like a FICO? Do I really care if my FICO drops from 790 to 789 because I got a new credit card? Do I really care if my CLUE score drops from 10,123 to 10,100? What's the significance?

I guess I just don't really care to worry about things I can't control. It seems that insurance companies want to insure owners that take care of their property rather than let the property slowly deteriorate. Right now, I don't see any real proof that this whole episode has done anything to require a rant on an internet forum. I want to see folks come out of the woodwork and report, "Yeah, I had three non-claims and got my insurance cancelled." Or "Yep, one claim and a non-claim and they raised my rates 400 times more than they raised my neighbor's rates with just one claim."
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, I'll continue to argue with myself. Is this CLUE score something like a FICO? Do I really care if my FICO drops from 790 to 789 because I got a new credit card? Do I really care if my CLUE score drops from 10,123 to 10,100? What's the significance?
Google C.L.U.E. Reports and do a little reading. Here is one example of what you'll find:

C.L.U.E Reports: Horror Stories and How to Avoid Being One
Old 09-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess I just don't really care to worry about things I can't control. It seems that insurance companies want to insure owners that take care of their property rather than let the property slowly deteriorate. Right now, I don't see any real proof that this whole episode has done anything to require a rant on an internet forum. I want to see folks come out of the woodwork and report, "Yeah, I had three non-claims and got my insurance cancelled." Or "Yep, one claim and a non-claim and they raised my rates 400 times more than they raised my neighbor's rates with just one claim."
Insurers may cancel a homeowners policy, if you file a claim - Jun. 3, 2005

From the article:

Quote:
Another factor was the emergence of the comprehensive loss underwriting exchange (CLUE) and similar databases that keep records of claims -- even mere inquiries -- whether they're paid or not. Originally CLUE was used mostly for fraud detection, but more insurers now consult it about legitimate claims.

Companies, according to Heller, "no longer look at the individual; they look at a database." The number of claims to trigger non-renewal varies from insurer to insurer (state regulations also apply), but can be as little as two claims over three years.

Black marks not only accompany you when you move, they also stay with the house, which can complicate things for buyers and sellers.
Satisfied? Wish I saw this a couple weeks ago.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Don't lose any sleep over it... very unlikely they will increase your rates for that incident.

But I do agree... do not contact them unless you intend to file a claim.

Best approach would have been to get an estimate from a contractor.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Don't lose any sleep over it... very unlikely they will increase your rates for that incident.

But I do agree... do not contact them unless you intend to file a claim.
Live and learn, sure. But it sucks that they initiated something which had the consequences I was very adamant about not wanting. I thought USAA was a little more ethical than that, but in the end they are obviously still an insurance company. At minimum I'll bark up the tree and perhaps move all my banking (including most of my emergency fund) to Schwab which has similar deals for the most part if even the higher levels refuse to lift a finger to make this right. I already have a Schwab checking account linked to brokerage; no biggie.

I don't think this will impact my rates by itself. I don't even think this would impact my ability to get insurance if I went elsewhere and they pulled up the report. The main point is that with this one in the database already, the loss threshold at which I'd file a claim for a future significant event just went up a lot. If I file another claim in the next couple years, I might be faced with much higher rates -- or worse, a nearly unsellable home.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I am unimpressed with the moneycnn article. Of course the insurance companies should not insure a house sitting on the beach in a hurricane zone. Of course the insurance companies should not let you build on the remains of a mudslide. It's a big jump from the circumstances reported in the article to more common situations.

I would not be surprised if the the 40,000 Californians that lost coverage probably would've lost coverage anyways. The 100,000 Floridians who lost coverage should probably be self-insured anyways. The "use it lose it" is statement needs more proof than that article shows.

You can't build in flood zones and get decent insurance where I live, so folks don't build in flood zones. It is true that after 10 years, a home that wasn't in a flood zone, may now be in a flood zone.

PS: I am in no way connected to any insurance company, but I would prefer that my insurance company (USAA) does not insure insane home locations unless the premium makes sense.

The "Horror Stories" link had no horror stories. It was totally anecdotal and not much of that either. Is this an urban legend?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Ziggy, this situation you find yourself in might argue for the "proactive" approach. Since you are now in doubt about what size of a claim you might be willing to "eat" (you mentioned from $5K to even $10K) perhaps you should simply up your deductible to recognize that fact. Save some premiums and then stop worrying about what you would do in case a claim comes along which exceeds your new, larger deductible. Not a great solution, perhaps, but one which deals with your perception of the reality of your situation. Naturally, YMMV. Good luck on this and thanks for the heads up to the rest of us who have ever "trusted" an insurance company to do the right thing for us.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Usually we get more than one first-person confirmation, such as, "Yeah, that happened to me" on the forum for some of these mythical say-so's that make them real. C'mon folks, who had their insurance cancelled because of too many claims?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
PS: I am in no way connected to any insurance company
Hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Usually we get more than one first-person confirmation, such as, "Yeah, that happened to me" on the forum for some of these mythical say-so's that make them real. C'mon folks, who had their insurance cancelled because of too many claims?
Yeah, you're right. I'm delusional, emotional and full of it.

Can you drop your crusade now?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is this an urban legend?
Sure.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'm not arguing with you; I'm arguing with myself, so you can ignore me.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That would be me. Had coverage with the same company for about 15 years. About a year in I cut a limb off an overshadowing oak and ripped the porch roof right off the house. Told the agent what i did and the company covered it, to my total surprise.

Fast foward a dozen or so years without claims and we had someone rifle through the car and steal the stereo and a bunch of other stuff. Items in the car (not the attached stereo) were covered under the antique $100 deductible homeowner policy, so we claimed and I got a check for somewhere under $100. Within the year we got hit again and i enquired what the effect on my policy would be if I claimed - agent told me there would be no effect, and i don't like to leave money on the table, so claimed and I think got about $34. And later received a letter letting me know they would not renew our policy. Pisser.

I drop a limb on the porch, my fault, cost the company thousands and they pay without a peep. Loyal customer without claims thereafter for a dozen years, then cost them under $150 in a year and got non-renewed.

Reasonable to be concerned - OP just had a strike called on him - he's not out, but he's not as safe as he was.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Couple of comments - have had similar issues with USAA - still use them but am very wary.

I find the CLUE acronym hilarious - like someoneneeds to get a clue.

If insurance companies keep dropping honest people who pay the bills and only make a few claims, there won't be any people left to gather money from to pay out the other insurance claims - it seems they are punishing honesty - they get what they deserve if they treat all people like crooks....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #36
Administrator

I dislike insurance companies as much as anyone, and probably more than most, but let's try to look at it from their point of view:

When the insurer underwrites your insurance and determines your premium amount, they have models to predict the probability of occurrence and amount per occurrence. Implicit (or maybe even explicit) in that model is an estimate of the probability that your house, as a typical house in your area, will get hit by a falling tree. The fact that your house has now actually been hit by a falling tree is relevant data. It may mean that your house, due to the location of the trees or the house, the localized wind patterns or something else, has a greater chance of being hit by a falling tree than the model assumed. Accordingly, it may affect the underwriting decision (and the premium price). Note that this information is relevant whether you actually file a claim or not. Sure, it may be small dollars this time, but the next tree might destroy the whole house.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You don't need to have a claim to impact your CLUE score. Even calling to inquire about filing a claim can (and is) reported and can lower your rating.
Yep. We had a major hailstorm in 2003 that caused damage to the roof, gutters. windows, and air conditioner fins (and broke a bird feeder which I did not claim). When I called the agent about this, she put the issue into a "Do you want to file a claim or not?" kind of wording. I guess it confused me a little, but she explained that you should really be sure you have some damage before you file a claim. My response was something like "No, I might have been mistaken about all this damage, and I need to recheck. I am not filing a claim right now." and ended the call. I'll never know if she kept me out of CLUE on this issue or not.

Months later, after almost every other house on the street got new roofs, I had multiple competing contractors determine I needed a new roof, then I filed a claim. No changes to the premium related to this that I could detect.

Bottom line, contrary to the advertising, the insurance company is not your friend.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I had a pipe start leaking under my slab so I called "A**state" to see if a problem like that was covered under my home owners policy. I already had an estimate for the repairs so I wanted to see if it was covered.
I told the lady that I would just pay for it myself and thanked her for the information.
That's when she informed me that this would be a claim against my insurance. Say what??
We argued about this for a short while because I was just dumbfounded that this would be true. She assured me that when a person inquires about anything then it is a claim even if they don't pay out anything.
I am no longer allowing them to sell me insurance.....for anything.
Just like some have said, "live and learn".
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

^ But did they cancel your insurance? Raise your rates?

Allstate paid for an entire new roof for us and didn't raise the rates the next year.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

After hurricane Wilma down here in South Florida I had some roof damage which appeared to be loose tiles. I did not want to file a claim as I thought future insurance would be harder to obtain or my rates would go up.

I had a roofer replace the broken tiles and just paid out of pocket. About 6 months later I got a notice from the insurance company that they would not be renewing my policy as they wanted to lower the total number of customers that they had in South Florida to reduce their risk.

A few weeks later we had a really bad rain storm and the roof started to leak in several places. I filed the insurance claim. The adjuster came out and said he was not sure about the damages and would have to get a roofer to inspect it.

The roofer came out and declared that the roof was not repairable and I got a new roof for a value of about $45k. I just paid the $500 deductible.

I did get new insurance at a lower rate with another company mainly due to the fact that I recently added storm shutters.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote