Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregfromTexas View Post
I know some people saving little or nothing for retirement and living large. I suppose it's a choice and a tradeoff and I won't judge them unless they have their heads in the sand about it.
Probably not a deliberate choice in most cases: they do indeed have their heads in the sand, in the sense that they pay no attention to tomorrow and assume that somehow everything will magically work out without any sacrifice on their part.

IMO, such people should not be judged unless they repeatedly lament their lot in life, which becomes rather tiresome. It's even worse when they imply that those who have become, or are becoming, FI are merely lucky.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

I've given away a lot over the course of my lifetime, so leaving an estate is not very important to me.

A 3-4% SWR, a couple pensions and SS could work out well, still fine tuning.

Tres
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #143
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Probably not a deliberate choice in most cases: they do indeed have their heads in the sand, in the sense that they pay no attention to tomorrow and assume that somehow everything will magically work out without any sacrifice on their part.

IMO, such people should not be judged unless they repeatedly lament their lot in life, which becomes rather tiresome. It's even worse when they imply that those who have become, or are becoming, FI are merely lucky.
LOL yeah. I guess I've gone from being annoyed at the dolts who think success in life is about luck and/or that I owe them for whatever success I've achieved to almost literally not even hearing them any more, so I didn't factor that. Shame on them.

Ironically enough, some people I've known are capable of dealing with anything that comes their way without much preparation because they are smart, work well under pressure, are willing to take risks, and sometimes it is exactly these people who can never imagine a day when that might not be so.

I remember a conversation with one genuinely impressive guy who was brilliant, charismatic, working insane hours like it was a walk in the park, earning vast sums and spending it profligately while abusing his body with no sleep and large quantities of single malt. I asked him what he was going to do when he got older and his response was that he plans to be dead by 50
GregfromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
N

I remember a conversation with one genuinely impressive guy who was brilliant, charismatic, working insane hours like it was a walk in the park, earning vast sums and spending it profligately while abusing his body with no sleep and large quantities of single malt. I asked him what he was going to do when he got older and his response was that he plans to be dead by 50
Sounds like he was a relative of a former neighbor of mine whose retirement plan was to inherit his uncle's gold coin collection.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
Uncle Sam will come and take from the savers again, something else you need to plan for
Agreed. There will be wealth redistribution, exactly what form it will take remains to be seen.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I asked him what he was going to do when he got older and his response was that he plans to be dead by 50
A couple of guys up the street from me executed on that plan pretty well. RIP. So far one of the surviving family sold the family house and moved (don't know if out of necessity or emotions). The other appears to be doing the same soon.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #147

Quote:
I guess I've gone from being annoyed at the dolts who think success in life is about luck and/or that I owe them for whatever success I've achieved, to almost literally not even hearing them any more, so I didn't factor that. Shame on them.
Yes, best to tune them out rather than letting the negativity get you down.

Luck certainly plays a large role in life: we all have inherent advantages or disadvantages that we are born with, and just being in the right place at the right time can make a tremendous difference. So, no one should be too self-satisfied with their personal success. That said, it is true that to some extent we are all capable of 'making our own luck': hard work and consistent application generally pay off.