Join Early Retirement Today

The 4% rule .....quick question?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The 4% rule .....quick question?

I know this has been discussed numerous times , but I just want to be sure. Let's assume I have $1 million in a taxable account invested in a 60/40 balanced fund.

I currently DO NOT reinvest the dividends as these are taxed either way....so dividends (assume at 2%) are directed to my bank account.

I then withdraw an additional 2% of the earnings every year to get me to the 4%. Put aside inflation issues for the moment to keep the math simple.
So I have withdrawn 4% ($40,000) from the portfolio.

If dividends are only 1.5% the following year, then I would withdraw 2.5% from earnings to reach 4.0%. Do I have this right?

Also, does the withdrawal need to be adjusted (downward) if a bear market occurs to account for sequence of return risk or is this risk already "baked" into the equation and a non-issue? Thanks.
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post
....Do I have this right?

Also, does the withdrawal need to be adjusted (downward) if a bear market occurs to account for sequence of return risk or is this risk already "baked" into the equation and a non-issue? ...
Yes, withdrawals would include all money coming from the account. Think of it this way, if you reinvested the 2.0% or 1.5% of dividends and then withdrew 4%, the net withdrawal would be 2.0% and 2.5% which is what you would be withdrawing as you proposed.

The withdrawal does NOT need to be adjusted if a bear market occurs... it is already baked into the 4%.... if you ran 100 simulations using a 4% withdrawal 95 would have money left over at the end of 30 years and in some cases a lot money. Below is a Firecalc simulation for a 4% WR for 30 years for a 60/40 portfolio starting with $1 million... note that there are few lines that end below zero and many les end up for more than the initial $1 million balance.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You do have the withdrawal right - total withdrawal whether by selling or by harvesting dividends should total 4%. You pay taxes and investment expenses from this 4%.

The "traditional" 4% SWR that was presented by William Bergen does not consider market performance, but does consider inflation. You begin with 4% of your initial portfolio and adjust that by inflation every year irrespective of market performance.

Bergen's paper is here http://www.retailinvestor.org/pdf/Bengen1.pdf
If you are going to base your withdrawals on this method, I recommend reading it. It is dry, but not difficult to get through.

Some on this board use a different 4% SWR strategy. They take 4% of the portfolio value on a specific date (say Jan1) and live on that for the year. This amount obviously varies with portfolio performance and does not take inflation into account.

Bob Clyatt had a method based on the above that he called the 4/95 strategy. He detailed it in his excellent book Work Less, Live More.

There are all sorts of other variations too. Here are some of them
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Withdrawal_methods
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Just for further clarification, the 4% is of the original portfolio value and does not change in subsequent years.

You mention dividends and earnings. Dividends are a portion of the earnings. The rest is principal.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

You also need to remember that this is all forecast on past results. And is for a 30 year rolling period of time. Future results may vary.

If you are 60 and believe you will only live to 90 it is probably as good as any. If you are 30 however, this may be a too aggressive harvest.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

To reiterate and rephrase, you take 4% in year one and then inflate that absolute dollar amount by the cost of living (I assume Bengen used the social security CPI) in following years. The percentage of the portfolio that comes out in those following years could be more or less than 4% of the then current portfolio depending on the market.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Unless this Bergen is a new guy in the area, his name is Bill Bengen.

Ha
Old 07-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Hahahah, I need new glasses, I missed that one.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I laughed really hard when I read this: "The 4% rule .....quick question?"

The quick was the funny part.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #10

I'm thinking we should stop saying "rule."

"Guideline" perhaps?
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post

"Guideline" perhaps?
Approach?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Estimate, guess, shot

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post

"Guideline" perhaps?

The 4% Pirates Code.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The 4% wild-a$$ guess?
The 4% fable?
The spreadsheet-junkie's 4%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
You also need to remember that this is all forecast on past results. ...
+1

Search the internet for "Taleb's Turkey" or read this version: Nassim Taleb: “Let’s Not Be Turkeys” | Risk Management Monitor
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Yes, of course. And I can't even blame auto-correct
Old 07-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
The 4% wild-a$$ guess?
The 4% fable?
The spreadsheet-junkie's 4%?

+1

Search the internet for "Taleb's Turkey" or read this version: Nassim Taleb: “Let’s Not Be Turkeys” | Risk Management Monitor

Taleb is right, but I think it is wrong to dismiss it as a wild-ass guess or a fable.

Following this model blindly, like many in the financial industry followed their models in past melt-downs, is the wrong thing to do. That's why I believe that anyone planning to use these methods needs to study (not just read) the original papers with all the caveats.

Black Swans can show up anywhere - in annuities, in pensions, in social security, in health, in civilizations etc. So, what's a person to do? I say, start with some rational method (historical performance in this case) and pay close attention. Be flexible and be conservative.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I laughed really hard when I read this: "The 4% rule .....quick question?"

The quick was the funny part.
I saw this in the AM without a reply and thought to myself..
1. You are new here; don't reply
2. Get the popcorn
Doingitwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Rules were meant to be broken
Old 07-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Rules were meant to be broken

In my opinion the 4% rule is no longer relevant. Hopefully it will be in the future. But, not now. Fuh git bout it.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
In my opinion the 4% rule is no longer relevant. Hopefully it will be in the future. But, not now. Fuh git bout it.
If you may allow me to 'pick on you' a little (nothing personal), I think your statement encapsulates the problem.

The "4% whatever-we-want-to-call-it" is as relevant today as it ever was. It is a historical study. AFAIK, history still shows that a 4% inflation adjusted withdraw approach over 30 years has succeeded in 95% of the time periods in our historical database. So it is still true, so it is still relevant.

The "4% whatever-we-want-to-call-it" never was meant to, never can, never will, and has no mechanism whatsoever to predict the future. It was never relevant in that regard, so it is still irrelevant in that regard.

If you try to apply something improperly, the results are meaningless.

I think it is useful to understand how we would have fared in past cycles. The study is useful for that. Period.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you may allow me to 'pick on you' a little (nothing personal), I think your statement encapsulates the problem.

The "4% whatever-we-want-to-call-it" is as relevant today as it ever was. It is a historical study. AFAIK, history still shows that a 4% inflation adjusted withdraw approach over 30 years has succeeded in 95% of the time periods in our historical database. So it is still true, so it is still relevant.

The "4% whatever-we-want-to-call-it" never was meant to, never can, never will, and has no mechanism whatsoever to predict the future. It was never relevant in that regard, so it is still irrelevant in that regard.

If you try to apply something improperly, the results are meaningless.

I think it is useful to understand how we would have fared in past cycles. The study is useful for that. Period.

-ERD50
+1
However, I'm curious as to why the poster believes it's "no longer relevant". ( or should I not even go there?)