Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
+2

After a few hours puzzling around trying to set up DW's ipod shuffle, we gave up. It is sitting in a box collecting dust right now. If only we could drag and drop mp3s on there it would be so much easier. I guess if you are a devout worshiper of itunes then it works like a charm, but for us, it was a huge hassle versus the other "inferior" mp3 players we own.
I don't recall having any problems getting my iPods (a shuffle, and an old mini I 'inherited' from DD) recognized by iTunes (it does get more complex to understand if you have multiple accounts and/or devices on one computer or across several computers). And, iTunes does offer some nice advantages over the drag/drop method (play counts and where you were in a track and other data is synced between them). But I'm far from a 'devout worshiper' of iTunes.

But I do agree with you, that iPods/iPads should offer drag/drop as an option. I love the fact that USB has these standard modes that you can rely on regardless of OS and what software you may have installed. That means you always have a very simple/reliable method to get something done.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't recall having any problems getting my iPods (a shuffle, and an old mini I 'inherited' from DD) recognized by iTunes (it does get more complex to understand if you have multiple accounts and/or devices on one computer or across several computers. And, iTunes does offer some nice advantages over the drag/drop method (play counts and where you were in a track and other data is synced between them). But I'm far from a 'devout worshiper' of iTunes.

But I do agree with you, that iPods/iPads should offer drag/drop as an option. I love the fact that USB has these standard modes that you can rely on regardless of OS and what software you may have installed. That means you always have a very simple/reliable method to get something done.
We had to install and configure itunes since we never used it before. It never really worked that smoothly. We got some songs on the ipod, but changing and updating what songs are on the device and syncing and all that is a little over my head (even though I consider myself fairly tech savvy in other regards). I'd rather spend time listening to music than spend time messing with file management, syncing etc to enable listening to music. I'm sure if I sat down and spent a few more hours devoted to learning about this and setting it up, it would make future apple device setups much easier. Since I don't plan on owning any apple devices in the near future, that is a moot point.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We got the Apple TV the other day and installation seemed easy to me as I sat and watched DH figure it out. Now we have that it's going to be adios to Comcast and their DVRs. We figure Apple TV has less content but it also means we will only pay for what we watch and hopefully will spend less time watching rubbish.

As to Costco, I am not a fan. I can see how it works for a larger family, however I like to buy my food fresh I never really have much in the way of freezer food. Also I hate going to Costco as they seem to have the laziest customers, they drag their heaving carcasses back to their car and dump the shopping trolley just out of range of their monster truck and leave it where someone else is sure to get a ding in their car.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote