Join Early Retirement Today

The Bond King getting Bearish on bonds
Old 03-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Bond King getting Bearish on bonds

Bill Gross: Bonds Will Only Get Uglier From Now on ...

bill gross bonds will only get uglier from now on ... can i introduce you to my new stock funds: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #2

I might be more swayed by his opinion if it didn't come with an announcement of new PIMCO stock funds. That fact makes it sound self-serving.

Though I should add I've had his bond fund in my 401K for a few years and have been pleased with the performance.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bill Gross is certainly well known for talking his book. But I have a hard time reconciling any of his comments over the past six to twelve months as an endorsement for equities. The only thing I hear him pushing lately is German bonds.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I coulda, shoulda, woulda bought PIMCO, but I didn't.

He very well might be just talking up his new offerings, but if he really does believe that bonds are in for a rough patch, then he is somewhat of a pickle.

What can he do? Disingenuously talk down the possibility of a bear market in bonds and possible wreck his credibility? Do nothing and watch his NAVs decline and investors flee? Start a funds in areas that he thinks will be profitable?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
He very well might be just talking up his new offerings, but if he really does believe that bonds are in for a rough patch, then he is somewhat of a pickle.
I agree he's in a pickle. That's because the reason he doesn't like bonds is he expects most developed countries will have difficulties managing their fiscal situations. In some cases he sees potential default. In other cases he sees higher inflation and higher real interest rates. In most cases he sees slower economic growth and asset appreciation undermined by deleveraging.

His "new normal" isn't a good environment for just about anything. Listening to him certainly doesn't get me all bulled up on equities.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Notice.... he is rolling out a Stock fund.

What do you think that means? It surely means he is seeing brighter days in the equity markets.

For Bonds... I think company and interest rate risk can be managed.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #7

Bill Gross is one of the smartest investors around. He also says a lot of confusing and even wrong things. But watch what he does not what he says. If he was opening up stock funds and saying buy bonds I would run to buy stocks. In this case I think he is speaking almost straight, not a good time for bonds, better to be in socks although they may not be so great either.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if Bill Gross has been reading my bearish posts on bonds over the last 6-9 months.

Well I am keeping my bond allocation to a minimum 20%
Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
In this case I think he is speaking almost straight, not a good time for bonds, better to be in socks although they may not be so great either.
At least they'll keep your feet warm.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Shame on you.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, the only bond fund in my 401k is PTRAX (PIMCO Total Return Admin), where I currently have 30% of assets. I've been very happy with it thus far. According to Morningstar, current cash and bond positions are -27.3% and 122.7% respectively. Does this mean the fund is leveraged? If so, is that wise in a bubble?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Well, the only bond fund in my 401k is PTRAX (PIMCO Total Return Admin), where I currently have 30% of assets. I've been very happy with it thus far. According to Morningstar, current cash and bond positions are -27.3% and 122.7% respectively. Does this mean the fund is leveraged? If so, is that wise in a bubble?
This fund tries to exploit what it thinks are mispriced bonds by levering up on bonds they think are undervalued and shorting the ones that they think are overpriced.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Ziggy. Hard to argue with the approach considering the fund's past performance. It just seemed odd to me in light of Gross's comments regarding bonds.

Regards,
Wino
Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Bill Gross isn't the only one

I have been reading or hearing from a number of sources that bonds are heading for trouble. I am retired with about 53% of my AA in bond funds VG Intermediate, VG Corporate, VG TIPS,, GNMA, and Short term corporate (used for emergencies and current withdrawals). Is it time to move out of these or ride the next bear wave out. Shouldn't be needing any but the short term corp. for 3-4 years.
Larry
Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigla View Post
I have been reading or hearing from a number of sources that bonds are heading for trouble. I am retired with about 53% of my AA in bond funds VG Intermediate, VG Corporate, VG TIPS,, GNMA, and Short term corporate (used for emergencies and current withdrawals). Is it time to move out of these or ride the next bear wave out. Shouldn't be needing any but the short term corp. for 3-4 years.
Larry
If I had a 50% allocation of bonds (which is certainly prudent) my allocation would look a lot like yours. I have VG GNMA , and a smattering of short to intermediate individual corporate issues and few munis. You could consider moving some of the bonds into a CD ladder you can get roughly 3% (far from great but better than nothing) at PenFed.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

All my new deferrals go to VTSMX. But I do have a 50% allocation to fixed income which consists of DODIX, VBMFX, and a stable value fund. I would think staying away from long term positions would be prudent at this time.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigla View Post
Larry
First of all - don't do anything based on the "conventional wisdom". The talking heads usually have it wrong enough that it hurts you to take temporary action based on their "advice".

Second - you are holding these bond funds for the long run. You'll do fine through this event - it will be temporary. It won't cause your income paid out to drop - in fact it will eventually start going up again IF we really do have a huge interest rate spike - which I somewhat doubt.

The short-term corp position may be the most vulnerable - but again you will probably ride it out OK over the long run. If you are using it as a sub for cash you might want to set 1 to 2 years cash aside instead. That's a bit of a risky position for very short term needs.

Otherwise - stay the course and don't let the talking heads fake you out. I mean - what would you do instead? Do you really think you can time your way around this? Putting your entire bond position in cash would be a huge opportunity cost as you would earn NOTHING while waiting for whatever "bad event" to first start, and then to be over.

Audrey
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Have you looked lately? Right now Morningstar shows PTRAX to have 90.1% Bonds, 4.7% Cash and 5.2% Other (whatever that is). I have quite a bit of PTRAX also.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Have you looked lately? Right now Morningstar shows PTRAX to have 90.1% Bonds, 4.7% Cash and 5.2% Other (whatever that is). I have quite a bit of PTRAX also.
Interesting; that's a big swing in a little less than a month. Wish I was smart enough to know what (if anything) it means.