Join Early Retirement Today

The campaign started today...
Old 06-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The campaign started today, I've feared it for some time; oh it was subtle at first but then there it was. My wife and 20 year old college junior daughter and I were out to dinner. My son was at a friends house deep in computer wars. We were discussing my sons plans to attend the same college as my daughter. I said I really thought he'd attend a southern college because we (or I ) planned on moving south as soon as he graduates. After all we won't get the in state discount. Daughter: you sure you want to move? A few minutes later Hiroshima <b>"yeah you could watch my kids"</b>. I tried not to show my fear but my difficulty in breathing may have given it away. Sweet Moses it's been a hell of a day...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

"as soon as he graduates" ... from high school? So one consideration is that you think he will lose in-state tuition if you move out of the state.

Maybe you've already checked this, but in my state:
Quote:
1. A financially dependent student whose parents move from Iowa after the student is enrolled remains a resident provided the student maintains continuous enrollment. A financially dependent student whose parents move from Iowa during the senior year of high school will be considered a resident provided the student has not established domicile in another state.
But, that's probably a small part of the total picture. I know that my ideas of a "great retirement" didn't match well with my wife's ideas.

And, of course, my preferences for where my kids went to college didn't match well with the kids' preferences.

Good luck!
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #3

Hey thanks will look into that...

Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
"as soon as he graduates" ... from high school? So one consideration is that you think he will lose in-state tuition if you move out of the state.

Maybe you've already checked this, but in my state:

But, that's probably a small part of the total picture. I know that my ideas of a "great retirement" didn't match well with my wife's ideas.

And, of course, my preferences for where my kids went to college didn't match well with the kids' preferences.

Good luck!
Check the individual university. Many provide that the domicile of the parent controls the domicile of the child. (Where is the drivers license address etc). Although the texas rules provide " a person who: a. was previously enrolled and classified as a Texas resident in a public institution of higher education; and
b. maintained continuous enrollment, or did not break enrollment for more than one regular semester. "

This does mean moving the address to stay in state if the parent moves.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:44 AM   #5

Year 1 apparently no issue but if we hold on to our investment condo and we make that his address... And keep that as our reasonable weather home and income tax residence we are golden...

Determination of Domicile

Domicile is the place where one intends to reside either permanently or indefinitely
and does in fact so reside. The presumptions and forms of evidence set forth in
this section shall be considered by the University in making the determination.

1. Continuous residence in this Commonwealth for a period of 12 months prior to
registration as a student at an institution of higher education in this
Commonwealth creates a presumption of domicile. A student is presumed not
to be a domiciliary if the student has resided for a shorter period before attending
an institution of higher education, but the student may rebut this presumption by
clear and convincing evidence.

2. Students who are not United States citizens...

3. A minor is presumed to have the domicile of his or her parents or legal guardian.
The age of majority for establishing a domicile for tuition purposes is 22. A minor
may prove financial emancipation and thereby prove Pennsylvania domicile through
clear and convincing evidence.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The campaign started today, ... A few minutes later Hiroshima <b>"yeah you could watch my kids"</b>. I tried not to show my fear but my difficulty in breathing may have given it away. Sweet Moses it's been a hell of a day...

I cleared those expectations away long before the grand kids started arriving. No way I am operating a day care center. If that was the expectation I would move to another state.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm amazed at how many retirees get roped into being free (or cheap) daycare for their grandkids. I have a friend who is more tied down now as daycare for a grandchild than when she was working.
Another friend shares daycare duties with the other grandparents - and they have to watch the grandchild at the son/DIL's home - so she commutes 3 days/week.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
I'm amazed at how many retirees get roped into being free (or cheap) daycare for their grandkids. I have a friend who is more tied down now as daycare for a grandchild than when she was working.
Another friend shares daycare duties with the other grandparents - and they have to watch the grandchild at the son/DIL's home - so she commutes 3 days/week.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I hear this quite often. Since the DW and I are "kidfree" (as opposed to "kidless") we won't have to worry about that.

I owe so VERY much to my grandparents though. My mother had me out of wedlock when she was VERY young and she had no real good way to support a kid, so I lived with my grandparents (who I refer to as my parents) and they did a fine job . I will be forever in debt to them for extending their "having a kid at the house" for many, many years.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

Providing daycare for grandkids is a highly-personal decision that depends on many factors. While it's great to lend a hand to a struggling DC (and his/her spouse), having kids should be a planned event. A good response to the OP's 20-year old daughter is - "so when are you planning on having kids," (hopefully the answer isn't "right now," which is what I thought the punchline to the OP's post might have been). This can be followed up with "if you need daycare help, why don't you start your career closer to us in XYZ state?"
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
I don't understand it either. If I wanted to provide day care I guess I could have worked in that field. If I wanted my entire schedule full, I would still be working full-time, also. And, I wasn't a SAHM either. When and if I have grandkids, yes, I want to have a lot of contact with them and I would certainly do the occasional baby sitting, but I'm not going to make a job of it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I don't understand it either. If I wanted to provide day care I guess I could have worked in that field. If I wanted my entire schedule full, I would still be working full-time, also. And, I wasn't a SAHM either. When and if I have grandkids, yes, I want to have a lot of contact with them and I would certainly do the occasional baby sitting, but I'm not going to make a job of it.
Yep. I've heard that from many new grandparents. The story they tell is that they worked their whole lives and raised successful kids who have kids of their own. While they want to be part of their grand kids' lives, they want to enjoy their retirement years through spontaneous travel, hobbies, or just plain relaxing (while they're still physically-able to do so).

I don't consider this attitude to be selfish, unless the grand kids are in a home life situation that is detrimental to their well-being. One hopes that one's adult children will plan appropriately when the time comes to have children of their own. This isn't always the case, but it should be.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote