Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Augustine, Fla.
Posts: 1,210
I would like to see the same for a RE person. Say with a $30k Annual Taxable Income. Perhaps drawing other living expenses from saved cash not subject to income Tax. Use BC a taxes are low there and RE's are more likely to be there than NS or any other high tax province. Healthcare is about $614 Per YEAR.
__________________

__________________
"Arguing with an Engineer is like rolling in the mud with a pig. Just remember that the pig likes it."
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I would like to see the same for a RE person. Say with a $30k Annual Taxable Income. Perhaps drawing other living expenses from saved cash not subject to income Tax. Use BC a taxes are low there and RE's are more likely to be there than NS or any other high tax province. Healthcare is about $614 Per YEAR.
BC Health premiums 2016 and 2017:

Premiums - Province of British Columbia

Best site for Canadian income tax info:

http://www.taxtips.ca/marginaltaxrates.htm
__________________

__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Augustine, Fla.
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My point entirely!
__________________
"Arguing with an Engineer is like rolling in the mud with a pig. Just remember that the pig likes it."
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 13,707
We'll miss you... safe travels.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Augustine, Fla.
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We'll miss you... safe travels.
All Pivots on what happens with Healthcare next year or the next. Currently Very happy. Fortunately at least we have options being citizens of 3 countries. I feel very badly for those who do not.


Frankly I think it is a shame as we get older we even need to worry about it (Healthcare) I would say the stress it adds to families (Both Young & Old) does not help the situation.
__________________
"Arguing with an Engineer is like rolling in the mud with a pig. Just remember that the pig likes it."
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 4,666
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Healthcare is about $614 Per YEAR.
That is just the user fee. The real costs are borne by income tax. The good news is that there are no co-pays nor deductibles no matter how much income you make.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
photoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,259
Just anecdotal evidence but whenever I talk about taxes with my canadian buddies they all seem very jealous of our rates in the US. It's quite possible to make several hundred k and be around 20% federal. But everybody likes to think the grass is greener.

I know/met a few doctors who felt that tax rates were so punishing in canada that they prefer to work only 2/3 days a week.

On the other hand, for wealthy folks like on an ER forum, so much is particular to ones individual circumstance and assets. For example, my brother's property tax (toronto) is going up something like 10-15k because the tax assessor updated home values. If he were in California he wouldn't be paying any more due to prop 13. On the other hand when it comes time to sell the home, he'll probably have at least $1M in capital gains tax free above and beyond the $500k exemption in the US.
__________________
photoguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Augustine, Fla.
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Just anecdotal evidence but whenever I talk about taxes with my canadian buddies they all seem very jealous of our rates in the US. It's quite possible to make several hundred k and be around 20% federal. But everybody likes to think the grass is greener.

I know/met a few doctors who felt that tax rates were so punishing in canada that they prefer to work only 2/3 days a week.

On the other hand, for wealthy folks like on an ER forum, so much is particular to ones individual circumstance and assets. For example, my brother's property tax (toronto) is going up something like 10-15k because the tax assessor updated home values. If he were in California he wouldn't be paying any more due to prop 13. On the other hand when it comes time to sell the home, he'll probably have at least $1M in capital gains tax free above and beyond the $500k exemption in the US.
Agreed for the most part. However for us (Me & DW) That have saved 70-80% of our Nest egg over the last 35 years in POST tax accounts, we can somewhat control what our income is, and only withdraw suitable amounts from our pre tax reserves to maintain a lower tax level. We chose to do this in our earlier earning years while also contributing to our 401k's. OK we paid a higher tax then, but arguably being "DINK's" we could also well afford it then.
__________________
"Arguing with an Engineer is like rolling in the mud with a pig. Just remember that the pig likes it."
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 4,666
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Just anecdotal evidence but whenever I talk about taxes with my canadian buddies they all seem very jealous of our rates in the US. It's quite possible to make several hundred k and be around 20% federal. But everybody likes to think the grass is greener.
They also need to factor in the cost of liability insurance which is substantially higher in the US.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
On the other hand, for wealthy folks like on an ER forum, so much is particular to ones individual circumstance and assets. For example, my brother's property tax (toronto) is going up something like 10-15k because the tax assessor updated home values. If he were in California he wouldn't be paying any more due to prop 13. On the other hand when it comes time to sell the home, he'll probably have at least $1M in capital gains tax free above and beyond the $500k exemption in the US.
Prop 13 sounds grossly unfair. I can't believe it exists.
__________________
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Just anecdotal evidence but whenever I talk about taxes with my canadian buddies they all seem very jealous of our rates in the US. It's quite possible to make several hundred k and be around 20% federal. But everybody likes to think the grass is greener.

I know/met a few doctors who felt that tax rates were so punishing in Canada that they prefer to work only 2/3 days a week.
Yes much of it is grass is greener. Many folks really don't have any idea what all in costs are due to the various taxes, insurances, levies, user fees and whatever involved. At the end of the day, for most, it is hard to put a monetary value on 'home'.

For MDs, what you say may have been true in the 80s when I graduated but things seem to have come full circle over the last 3 decades. Canadian MDs pay negligible amounts for malpractice insurance and have no concern about their personal assets being at risk. Incomes are not much different, practice stresses are generally much less and MDs (along with dentists and lawyers) can incorporate and pay much lower tax rates. 'Managed care' has really kicked the stuffing out of MD morale in the US since the 90s (that is by Health Insurance companies - not Obamacare). Current governments are trying to bring things back the other way but at the moment things are pretty good for professionals north of the border.
__________________
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets
superdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bedford, NS
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Yes much of it is grass is greener. Many folks really don't have any idea what all in costs are due to the various taxes, insurances, levies, user fees and whatever involved. At the end of the day, for most, it is hard to put a monetary value on 'home'.

For MDs, what you say may have been true in the 80s when I graduated but things seem to have come full circle over the last 3 decades. Canadian MDs pay negligible amounts for malpractice insurance and have no concern about their personal assets being at risk. Incomes are not much different, practice stresses are generally much less and MDs (along with dentists and lawyers) can incorporate and pay much lower tax rates. 'Managed care' has really kicked the stuffing out of MD morale in the US since the 90s (that is by Health Insurance companies - not Obamacare). Current governments are trying to bring things back the other way but at the moment things are pretty good for professionals north of the border.

Interesting. I suspected as much, as Canadian doctors really don't seem to be moving to the USA anymore. As was mentioned, many doctors here just work 3 days a week. I personally know a few who retired at 55-56 or so.
__________________
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
Interesting. I suspected as much, as Canadian doctors really don't seem to be moving to the USA anymore. As was mentioned, many doctors here just work 3 days a week. I personally know a few who retired at 55-56 or so.
My doctor is very young (graduated 2014) and only works 4 day weeks. She also takes a lot of time off...I'm not sure if this is due to tax rates or perhaps she simply has a good perspective on the work/life balance.
__________________
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #34
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 14,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Prop 13 sounds grossly unfair. I can't believe it exists.
It was passed in reaction to sharply rising taxes on homes that had been bought in earlier times. In many cases people were being forced to sell their homes in order to pay the rising taxes. I doubt that anyone would call that fair either. I lived in Maryland at the time and remember seeing many newspaper articles about it.

It was passed with much anguish and gnashing of teeth not only in California but nationally, as the same issue was coming up in many places. Here's a bit of history on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...ition_13_(1978)
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 13,707
What I would call unfair is two neighbors with substantially the same properties that have the same fair value paying drastically different property taxes simply because one is a new owner and the other has lived there for a long time. Wacky.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It was passed in reaction to sharply rising taxes on homes that had been bought in earlier times. In many cases people were being forced to sell their homes in order to pay the rising taxes. I doubt that anyone would call that fair either. I lived in Maryland at the time and remember seeing many newspaper articles about it.

It was passed with much anguish and gnashing of teeth not only in California but nationally, as the same issue was coming up in many places. Here's a bit of history on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...ition_13_(1978)
If someone has to move because they can't afford the property taxes, that might suck and be inconvenient, but it's not unfair. Prop 13 doesn't solve a problem...it creates one.
__________________
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What I would call unfair is two neighbors with substantially the same properties that have the same fair value paying drastically different property taxes simply because one is a new owner and the other has lived there for a long time. Wacky.
That is true if property values are not changing much but in Silicon valley property values go ballistic and taxing people who bought a long time ago based on going rates forced them out of their homes, hence Prop 13. Forcing someone to move out of the area because property values are increasing faster than their ability to pay is also pretty unfair I think. And the county is not going to go with less tax for everyone. It's hard to comprehend but it's also hard to comprehend housing values increasing 200% in the last 7 years I think for most

Note that since ~2010 prop 13 has been modified in some counties so the PT does vary more than the max 2% that was originally legislated. So in those counties only houses purchased prior to 2010 are limited to 2% increases. That might actually be even more unfair
__________________
If money is the root of all evil I want to be a bad man
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #38
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 14,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What I would call unfair is two neighbors with substantially the same properties that have the same fair value paying drastically different property taxes simply because one is a new owner and the other has lived there for a long time. Wacky.
From that perspective you're exactly right. But look at it from the perspective of the guy who bought his home in 1965 for say, $15K and at the time his property taxes were (randomly trying to pick a reasonable number here) $150/year. Fast forward to 1977 and the property taxes are now quadrupled or more because "the market" now values his house at $60k.

And all this guy did was own the place and go to work every day and do his job. Now he can't retire and stay there and be content because someone else decided that he has to pay outlandish taxes. Wacky.

Rightly or wrongly that's what Proposition 13 was about.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 13,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
From that perspective you're exactly right. But look at it from the perspective of the guy who bought his home in 1965 for say, $15K and at the time his property taxes were (randomly trying to pick a reasonable number here) $150/year. Fast forward to 1977 and the property taxes are now quadrupled or more because "the market" now values his house at $60k.

And all this guy did was own the place and go to work every day and do his job. Now he can't retire and stay there and be content because someone else decided that he has to pay outlandish taxes. Wacky.

Rightly or wrongly that's what Proposition 13 was about.
Well, if his house appreciates 400%, his property tax bill will NOT increase 400% (assuming that the grand list quadruples as well). In fact, if the municipal budget stays the same, the grand list quadruples and his appraised value quadruples then his property tax bill would still be $150.

Tax rate increases occur where the budget increases and/or your property's appraised value increases faster than the grand list, typically the former.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:55 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
Interesting. I suspected as much, as Canadian doctors really don't seem to be moving to the USA anymore. As was mentioned, many doctors here just work 3 days a week. I personally know a few who retired at 55-56 or so.
Some of them are members of this forum, too!
__________________

__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Withholding tax on a Canadian RRSP for foreighn residents rodiy2k FIRE and Money 3 05-30-2013 06:29 PM
Canadian Tax Strategy Phoenix Hi, I am... 14 03-07-2013 11:15 PM
A sign? Way or No Way? easysurfer Other topics 75 04-10-2011 08:58 PM
canadian tax law question... rw86347 FIRE and Money 6 04-20-2007 01:29 PM
Early Retirement -- The Canadian Way intercst FIRE and Money 31 02-27-2005 04:07 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.