The cost of a lifetime of thrift..

I pay $40 per month (once a month is all we need to mow in drought laden CA) for someone to do this for me. That is at least 30 minutes of my weekend time I can use to do nothing or something I prefer/enjoy to do. $1 for each minute of my "preferred" life? That's ultra cheap in my book.

It takes me about 45 minutes to mow, and another 45 minutes to trim/edge. And most of July-September is high 90s - low 100s. Unfortunately, we have to mow every 1-2 weeks, at $25 a pop. But it's worth it to me.

There are no ethanol-free stations anywhere near me, and the lawnmower gas they sell at Lowe's is about $28/gal. Have used ethanol-gasoline in cars, boats, and lawn tools for many years. Can't say I can identify any significant issues attributable to gasohol...

My grandpa used to take me with him when he went on ethanol runs. This guy up in the mountains made EPA certified and approved ethanol, strictly as a fuel additive, mind you. But my grandpa, being a clever guy, would drink the stuff. And apparently lots of other folks would drink this stuff, as hard to believe as that might be.

As far as I can tell, a swig out of the ole ethanol jar for the occasional cough or other serious malady or affliction was never harmful though it mostly offered nothing more than palliative relief. If it's fit for human consumption, I can't imagine it would hurt engines. Engines don't even have livers, so cirrhosis couldn't be a problem. :)

If you enjoy mowing, you can continue to do so. I hate mowing and am happy to pay someone so that I can sip another glass of wine.

Many people do LBYM all their lives until they die, or can't enjoy what they LBYM'd all the years for. They won't or can't spend money to buy fun, convenience, time etc.. Isn't that the real cost of living a life time of thrift for some (not all)?

Last edited:
........ I hate mowing and am happy to pay someone so that I can sip another glass of wine.................

Oh, you don't have to choose one over the other. A good riding mower has at least one cup holder

Hmmm LBYM true but I did take the family to Hawaii last June and the Bahamas the year before. We save money so that we can use it for fun stuff...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Get to know your neighbor kids. Pay them $25 to do it. Just the extra space in the garage and nothing to maintain is worth more than that each week to me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Many people do LBYM all their lives until they die, or can't enjoy what they LBYM'd all the years for. They won't or can't spend money to buy fun, convenience, time etc.. Isn't that the real cost of living a life time of thrift for some (not all)?

Now you got me thinking.......maybe I'll get rid of the mower, hire the lawn out, and go buy my self the Corvette is am constantly dreaming about having again!;)

Oh, you don't have to choose one over the other. A good riding mower has at least one cup holder

No one should drink wine in a cup. :eek: When they include a wine glass holder in my electric push lawnmower (I live in CA where lawns are the size of a large motorized lawnmower one can ride about), I will reconsider. :D

Now you got me thinking.......maybe I'll get rid of the mower, hire the lawn out, and go buy my self the Corvette is am constantly dreaming about having again!;)

I was thinking to replace my organic lawns with synthetic putting green to save water. At least, I can do the back yard ones without my neighbors raising eyebrows. I can save water, and practice putting at my leisure.

Last edited:

Why keep dreaming about it. Buy the Corvette !

Keep in mind that frugality is an excellent virtue in an ancestor.

We save money so that we can use it for fun stuff...

That's been my philosophy. The only time I hired someone to do my lawn was when I was a single mother traveling on business a lot. (DS was at a military boarding school.) It also appears they want to mow your lawn EVERY week in season, and charge you for it. That's not really necessary during the hottest months of the summer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom