Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
..."I didn't even get invited to the meeting!!! Something must be up! I DESERVE a latte!"
I am SO glad I didn't get invited to that 2 hour meeting.
Give all THE SURVIVORS a latte.

Heeheeeheeee...I had a knack for fully prepping my senior tech advisors for those meetings and not really caring if I presented or not. If I was asked to, I would willingly do so.
I had this little devilish streak that eventually "caused" the bigwigs to NOT invite me to "power" meetings because I would use too much simple logic for their taste. I often wondered if they ever caught on to my...um...scheme.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
"This j*b has been kicking the crap out of me for longer than I can remember. I DESERVE a latte!"

Cha-ching.
Oh SO typical of the working mentality!

"And not only do I deserve a latte, I deserve an iPhone!! I earned every penny of it, the hard way. After all, it's my money. I earned it. Besides, everyone in management has one and I am on the verge of that promotion. I need to fit in and look the part."

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been retired almost 3 months now and spend so little that I can't figure out what I was spending so much on while working. I took my lunch most days, made my coffee in my office, rode the train so only about 10 miles of driving each day, the last 6 months, the train was fully subsidized by my employer so no cost there. I quit buying clothes 3 years ago. Even this month when I bought a bike and tricked it out, I've only managed to spend about a quarter less than my average monthly expenses when working. The first 2 months I only spent about 1/4 what I used to. And I've made zero effort to be frugal. It really is like found money. But a bit mystifying.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

After you've been ER'd for a year, the analysis you're doing now will seem superficial compared to the analysis you'll have the time & energy to do during the first six months of ER. A complete review of all insurance policies, a complete review of all utility expenses, a complete review of cooking & dining practices... you'll keep finding more things to check.
In general I have more time to be a smarter shopper. This includes everything from insurance, to travel, to meals, and certainly a lot for investments.

When I was working an I saw something I knew I need in the future (like a tool, or linens) I'd buy it. Now days if it above $50, I'll shop around more unless I know I need immediately.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've been retired almost 3 months now and spend so little that I can't figure out what I was spending so much on while working. I took my lunch most days, made my coffee in my office, rode the train so only about 10 miles of driving each day, the last 6 months, the train was fully subsidized by my employer so no cost there. I quit buying clothes 3 years ago. Even this month when I bought a bike and tricked it out, I've only managed to spend about a quarter less than my average monthly expenses when working. The first 2 months I only spent about 1/4 what I used to. And I've made zero effort to be frugal. It really is like found money. But a bit mystifying.
WOW!!!!!

Audrey

P.S. At this rate, you'll have enough "excess" to buy yourself that camping van you've been considering.....
Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
WOW!!!!!

Audrey

P.S. At this rate, you'll have enough "excess" to buy yourself that camping van you've been considering.....
I did think about that ... But who knows if this will keep up like that. But I don't feel the least bit deprived.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am planning to ESR at the end of April, reducing working hours by about 80% and DH plans to retire during the summer. SO I've been looking at the costs a lot. Part of what we are doing is downsizing. We've bought the downsized house (still need to sell old house). Anyway here is how we think we will basically shake out (ask me in a year how it turned out) - Based upon couple with children in high school/college:

1. Automobile fuel and tolls -- Will go down a huge amount. Expect that maintenance costs will overall be less since less miles driven. Insurance will likely go down somewhat due to fewer miles driven.

2. Clothing costs - Expect these to go down since don't have to buy office type clothes which are quite different from what I usually wear.

3. Food - I think this will go down but not as much as I first thought. I will save money on lunches for work. Usually I would either take a frozen dinner or a packaged salad or would go out. All of those are way more expensive than what I would eat at home. I also want spend as much for convenience type foods. At the same time, I am trying to give up soft drinks. For years I had them free at work and they are a large cost if I have to buy them myself. Also since I will have more time I will be more tempted to do real cooking, some of which involves being more expensive ingredients. Also, I think I will still like going out to eat (but I can go now at off hours more and get discounts and lunch prices or early bird specials, that kind of thing).

4. Household - Part of retiring is downsizing to a much smaller house with what we think will be much lower maintenance costs. If we weren't moving I still think those costs would go down some since we would have more time to shop for bargains (as someone else mentioned) and would do more things ourselves that now we tend to pay others to do due to time pressures.

5. Insurance - We will have to pay more for health insurance even though DH has subsidized coverage for him and family. Also, we want to maintain life insurance for a few years and it will be more expensive.

6. Gifts - I think this will go down and there will be more time to spend to make/find gifts that are great but lower cost.

7. Entertainment - This will go up in some ways. I enjoy computer games and reading and will spend more on this. Travel will probably go up some but I'm not a huge traveler.

8. Utilities - These were go up, particularly electricity since we will be home all day whereas before we could program electricity for people being gone.

9. Taxes and savings - Much less.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think work costs 10-20%, I think it saves 10-20%.

I've known several people who had a spouse stop work - and their expenses went up - because that person has more time to shop and spend on stupid stuff.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post

I've known several people who had a spouse stop work - and their expenses went up - because that person has more time to shop and spend on stupid stuff.
This is what I thought would happen with me. I thought I'd be spending a lot of time out shopping and spending, since I can afford it, so I assumed I would need quite a bit extra for that. However, I am spending less. I found out that shopping is not "all that" and I would rather be doing other things.

Guess a lot depends on individual preferences.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
It is mystifying. I keep spending less.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Surely I can't be the only one who spends less while working?
(not counting taxes of course)
The killers for me have been eating out more when not working because I miss my work friends and haven't made friends my age that aren't working yet. I always brought my lunch to work. Travel went up as did entertainment costs (stuff like skiing, plays etc.) Gas didn't go down as much as I thought it would because of going on a few jaunts that I wouldn't have otherwise. Bought home renovation stuff because I had the time to do those projects. Also bought some "retirement casual clothes" for the new lifestyle, when I hadn't bought clothes for myself for a long time prior.
I'm sure it would even out over time, but I'm still going to have to watch myself and not assume that my expenses will be as low as I hoped for the first year at least.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
Surely I can't be the only one who spends less while working?
(not counting taxes of course)
The killers for me have been eating out more when not working because I miss my work friends and haven't made friends my age that aren't working yet. I always brought my lunch to work. Travel went up as did entertainment costs (stuff like skiing, plays etc.) Gas didn't go down as much as I thought it would because of going on a few jaunts that I wouldn't have otherwise. Bought home renovation stuff because I had the time to do those projects. Also bought some "retirement casual clothes" for the new lifestyle, when I hadn't bought clothes for myself for a long time prior.
I'm sure it would even out over time, but I'm still going to have to watch myself and not assume that my expenses will be as low as I hoped for the first year at least.
I found that I spent more the first and second year of retirement. I think my problem was just having the freedom of not working and finding a different mindset for retirement. It took me awhile to adjust.

I remember the first year, I would eat out alot...just because I could - I was free to do whatever I wanted. I also bought lots of clothes and things for the house. Over time though, all those clothes needed to be washed just like always - work! Eating out too often made me FAT! Those things I bought needed to be DUSTED - work!

I have calmed down a little now.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I found that I spent more the first and second year of retirement. I think my problem was just having the freedom of not working and finding a different mindset for retirement. It took me awhile to adjust.

I remember the first year, I would eat out alot...just because I could - I was free to do whatever I wanted. I also bought lots of clothes and things for the house. Over time though, all those clothes needed to be washed just like always - work! Eating out too often made me FAT! Those things I bought needed to be DUSTED - work!

I have calmed down a little now.
Oh, good to know others have the same issues! I've been operating without a formal budget thus far, just tracking expenses - but maybe it's something I should be doing. Kind of going back to the basics when you get off-track.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

The one way not working has saved me money is the endless collections for birthdays ,weddings ,showers ,baby gifts ,retirements ,bosses day and of course secretary's day .
Old 03-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post

It's always the spouse, isn't it?

Ha